IN AMERICA alone, people spent $170 billion on “direct marketing”—junk mail of both the physical and electronic varieties—last year.
Yet of those who received unsolicited adverts through the post, only 3% bought anything as a result. If the bumf arrived electronically, the take-up rate was 0.1%. And for online adverts the “conversion” into sales was a minuscule 0.01%. That means about $165 billion was spent not on drumming up business, but on annoying people, creating landfill and cluttering spam filters.
Which might, in the modern, privacy-free world of sliced and diced web-browsing analysis, come as something of a surprise. Marketing departments gather terabytes of data on potential customers, spend fortunes on software to analyse their spending habits and painstakingly “segment” the data to calibrate their campaigns to appeal to specific groups. And still they get it almost completely wrong.
A group of researchers at IBM’s Almaden Research Centre in San Jose, California, however, is here to help. According to Eben Haber, the group’s leader, the problem is that firms are trying to understand their customers by studying their “demographics” (age, sex, marital status, dwelling place, income and so on) and their existing buying habits. That approach, he believes, is flawed. What they really need is a way to discover the “deep psychological profiles” of their customers, including their personalities, values and needs. And he and his team think they can provide it.
Modern psychology recognises five dimensions of personality: extroversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism and openness to experience. Previous research has shown that people’s scores on these traits can, indeed, predict what they purchase. Extroverts are more likely to respond to an advert for a mobile phone that promises excitement than one that promises convenience or security. They also prefer Coca-Cola to Pepsi and Maybelline cosmetics to Max Factor. Agreeable people, though, tend to prefer Pepsi, and those open to experience prefer Max Factor.
People are, of course, unlikely to want to take personality tests so that marketing departments around the world can intrude even more on their lives than happens already. But Dr Haber thinks he can get around that—at least for users of Twitter. He and his team have developed software that takes streams of “tweets” from this social medium and searches them for words that indicate a tweeter’s personality, values and needs.
The Latest Bing News on:
Dimensions of personality
- Study finds psychopathy, narcissism linked to left-wing extremismon May 26, 2023 at 12:19 pm
According to the study, published in the peer-reviewed journal Current Psychology, people with toxic personality traits ... to define left-wing authoritarianism as consisting of three dimensions: anti ...
- People with a greater tendency for victimhood are more likely to engage in cyberbullying, according to new researchon May 26, 2023 at 4:00 am
New research provides evidence that people with an elevated sense of victimhood are more likely to engage in cyberbullying. The findings provide a better understanding of how personality traits and ...
- Why Waking Up Earlier Isn't Necessarily Betteron May 25, 2023 at 11:59 am
Often, these studies link people’s natural sleep patterns—called their chronotype—with some waking behavior or personality trait. It doesn’t take long to see which team more often comes out on top.
- Optical illusion personality test: What you see first reveals people’s first impression of youon May 25, 2023 at 5:34 am
What makes this one illusion quite interesting is that whatever the viewers see first in this image, it tells a lot about their personality. Look at the illustration below and tell us what did you ...
- Work Advice: Can my employer force me to take a personality test?on May 25, 2023 at 4:00 am
Not everyone finds them useful or insightful, but personality assessments can help colleagues understand themselves and each other.
- Cult of Personalityon May 23, 2023 at 5:00 pm
There are any number of lessons to be taken away from this, most of them having to do with the perils of buying into the cult of personality. There are overtones of that in newcomer Serbia's ...
- The Most Common Type A Personality Traitson May 22, 2023 at 10:28 pm
Personality traits may predict an individual’s level of satisfaction in life, occupation and even physical health. While there are many personality “types” supposedly out there, those who ...
- Emotional Intelligence Personality Test: Which face looks stressed to you in the picture?on May 22, 2023 at 5:14 am
Emotional Intelligence Personality Test: If you like to play fun quizzes to know about yourself, then this personality test is for you! There are over 8 billion people across the globe and each of ...
- Birth determines civil personalityon May 21, 2023 at 5:00 pm
It was pressed upon us by the hospital that our baby, given her tender age, has yet to have a legal personality. As such, we do not have a right to institute any case in behalf of our deceased child.
- Antagonistic narcissism and psychopathic tendencies predict left-wing antihierarchical aggression, study findson May 20, 2023 at 8:48 am
Narcissistic individuals and those with psychopathic tendencies are more likely to strongly endorse left-wing antihierarchical aggression, according to new research published in Current Psychology.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Dimensions of personality
[google_news title=”” keyword=”dimensions of personality” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- From Confusion to Clarity: Find Your Perfect Career Fit with These Free Personality Tests!on May 27, 2023 at 10:00 am
Finding a career is one of the most daunting tasks an adult can face. Adults change career paths between 3-7 times throughout their lives. A lot of those who are successful in their careers have taken ...
- WB Police SI/LSI 2020: Personality Test Admit Card Released; Here’s How To Downloadon May 27, 2023 at 2:58 am
Visit the official website gov.in. Click on the admit card link for Sub-Inspector/Lady Sub-Inspector (UB) and Sub-Inspector (AB). Fill in the required credentials and submit. Download the admit card.
- Sagittarius Women: Personality Traits & Characteristicson May 26, 2023 at 11:52 am
While our star sign can provide us with essential information about who we are ... Modalities explore how a sign’s position within the season influences their personality. Sagittarius is a mutable ...
- Canine Personality Linked To Breed, Age and Socializationon May 26, 2023 at 2:55 am
According to research, both the breeder and the dog owner have an important role in the development of canine personality.
- Breed, age and puppyhood socialization linked to canine personalityon May 25, 2023 at 12:42 pm
The dog, man's best friend, is a popular pet. There are hundreds of different dog breeds, each of which is said to have a personality of their own. A study recently completed at the University of ...
- More Americans Rely On Tucker Carlson For Information Than Any Other Public Figure: POLLon May 25, 2023 at 9:33 am
Carlson got a total of 113 mentions from participants listing figures they trust and rely on for their news, the most out of any news figure, according to the survey. MSNBC host Rachel Maddow came in ...
- New study evaluates quality of information on YouTube, TikTok about dissociative identity disorderon May 22, 2023 at 10:02 am
New research released on May 20 at the American Psychiatric Association's Annual Meeting examined the quality of content in YouTube and TikTok videos on dissociative identity disorder and found novel ...
- Few TikToks on 'Split Personality Disorder' Classified as Usefulon May 22, 2023 at 9:49 am
In a review of 97 TikToks featuring DID information, just 5.2% were considered useful, 10.3% were misleading, and 84.5% were neither useful or misleading, reported medical student Isreal Bladimir ...
- Lloyd Price musical takes a deep dive into life, career of hitmaker behind ‘Lawdy Miss Clawdy,’ ‘Personality’on May 18, 2023 at 8:00 am
Known as “Mr. Personality” after his hit song, Price, born in 1933, was a prolific songwriter and gifted singer.
- The Personality Database: The Internet’s Best Source For Finding Your Celebrity Twinon May 16, 2023 at 1:06 pm
In the past decade, the study of personality psychology has expanded its accessibility to people of all backgrounds and education levels. Personality tests have become ubiquitous in American life, ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”personality information” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]