The OrCam is a small camera linked to a very powerful wearable computer.
It sees what you see and through your finger-pointing understands what information you seek, relaying auditory feedback through a bone conduction earpiece. Using an intuitive user interface, the device can read text, recognize faces, identify objects and places, locate bus numbers and even monitor traffic lights.
Today’s modern technological world is producing a plethora of mainstream devices and software that will allow people with reduced vision to be more independent. Smartphones for example, with their built-in cameras, are a boon to the visually impaired by use of text-to-speech and SayText software, with which the user can photograph an image of text and have the phone read it back to them. Enhanced contrast features and magnifier software are particularly useful smartphone features, but perhaps the most beneficial is the intelligent personal assistant/knowledge navigators now available in today’s mobile operating systems, such as Apple’s Siri and Android’s Sherpa.
OrCam, on the other hand, is designed with substantially more processing muscle. It is essentially a pocket-sized portable computer connected to a camera that clips to the user’s glasses with a tiny magnet – not entirely unlike Google Glass looks-wise, yet inherently more powerful.
The system incorporates a bone conduction earpiece which conveys text-to-speech output, or descriptions of the object pointed at by the wearer. Bone conduction transducers do not block outside sound, but are excellent in maintaining sound clarity in a noisy environment. Currently the device is best used in normal/daylight, although with the aid of a flashlight it can still function in darker environments.
By just pointing with their finger, the user can get OrCam to understand what information they need, whether it’s to read a newspaper article, catch a bus or cross the road. Even faces and places are continuously scanned and recognized. OrCam will tell the user when it sees a face or a place that is stored in its memory, without the user having to do anything.
The Latest Bing News on:
- AirPods with cameras and glasses with AI — Apple’s potential plans for a collection of wearable deviceson February 26, 2024 at 12:42 am
Despite the fact that the device looks like a cheaper wearable gadget for the head (compared to Vision Pro), it is not positioned as a computer with augmented reality and high-quality transparent ...
- Samsung debuts a ‘smart ring' with health-tracking features — its first foray into the product categoryon February 25, 2024 at 10:01 pm
Samsung’s Galaxy Ring, its latest wearable, is launching with tracking features including heart rate and sleep monitoring.
- Apple’s wearable ideas include smart glasses and cameras in your earson February 25, 2024 at 8:57 am
The smart glasses would be angled as AirPods stand-ins, he says, just with more sensors, AI features, and longer-lasting batteries. But even though they’d serve as a cheaper head-worn gadget than the ...
- AML Will Launch New Wearable Computer at MODEX 2024on February 22, 2024 at 4:01 pm
AML, a U.S.-based manufacturer of barcode data collection products, will launch its Dragonfly Wearable Computer at the upcoming MODEX Supply Chain Expo, (Booth # C7288), being held in Atlanta March 11 ...
- Researchers Develop Real-Time Emotion Recognition Wearable Tech: Here's How It Workson February 22, 2024 at 3:02 am
This innovation, led by Professor Jiyun Kim and his team, represents a significant advancement in wearable technology and human-machine interaction. One of the most challenging aspects of ...
- The Sophisticated Threads behind a Hat That Senses Traffic Lightson February 20, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Though the first prototypes are limited to sensors, Wei is optimistic a wearable computer could come in the future.
- U.S. Army Adopts AI-Powered Wearable Computers for Better Battlefield Medicineon February 20, 2024 at 8:08 am
Discover how the U.S. Army's latest venture with Tomahawk Robotics introduces wearable AI technology to revolutionize battlefield medicine.
- The life and death of Google's VR/AR projectson February 17, 2024 at 4:00 pm
While it's not the first spatial computing headset on the market, the launch of the Vision Pro is proof of the company’s faith in a future where wearable computers will be the norm. With that in ...
- Apple Vision Pro review: I spent two weeks with a computer strapped to my faceon February 14, 2024 at 4:35 pm
Make no doubt about it: spatial computing, as Apple calls it, is here to stay. The experience of using the Vision Pro, even in generation one with a heavier build, two-hour battery life when on the go ...
- Passkeys might really kill passwordson February 13, 2024 at 7:30 am
Passkeys: how do they work? No, like, seriously. It’s clear that the industry is increasingly betting on passkeys as a replacement for passwords, a way to use the internet that is both more ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”wearable computer” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Rainbow Six Siege Augmented Reality Ying Elite skin: Price, cosmetics, and moreon February 25, 2024 at 5:20 am
Rainbow Six Siege has introduced a new Elite set for Ying called Augmented Reality right ahead of Year 9 Season 1, and it delivers all the features of an Elite set, including a special MVP animation ...
- Power of virtual reality and augmented reality in educationon February 24, 2024 at 8:15 pm
Among these innovations, Virtual Reality (VR) and Augmented Reality (AR) stand out as transformative tools with the potential to revolutionize the way students learn and comprehend complex concepts.
- Pre-construction technology redefined with the launch of immersive augmented reality serviceson February 22, 2024 at 4:01 pm
A first of its kind concept in the UAE that recently made its mark in Dubai, Australian-based company Lifesize Plans has now introduced its own augmented reality services, providing an immersive and ...
- Step Into Snap's Pioneering Augmented Reality Technology Experiences At Web Summit Qatar 2024on February 22, 2024 at 10:16 am
With over 85% of daily Snapchat users in the MENA region actively interacting with Augmented Reality (AR) Lenses, the role of AR in enhancing communi ...
- When does augmented reality help your marketing strategy and when is it a gimmick?on February 21, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Over the years there have been many waves of hype and scepticism surrounding augmented reality (AR), and 2024 is no different. When trying to cut through and determine if it’s a viable format for your ...
- Global Smart Augmented Reality (AR) Glasses Strategic Analysis Report 2024-2030 - Smart AR Glasses to Shape Virtual Experiences in the Metaverseon February 20, 2024 at 8:45 am
DUBLIN, Feb. 20, 2024 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Smart Augmented Reality (AR) Glasses - Global Strategic Business Report" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Global Smart Augmented ...
- 'A Huge Multiplier': Advanced Augmented Reality Comes To CREon February 15, 2024 at 6:14 pm
The latest iteration of augmented reality technology arrived in Apple stores earlier this month as the tech giant released its latest gadget: the Vision Pro, a pair of goggles that the company says ...
- Get Rich Quick With These 3 Augmented Reality Stocks to Buy Nowon February 14, 2024 at 3:43 am
Augmented reality is admittedly in its infancy, but we can expect the sector to accelerate as recent innovations bring products to market and (ultimately) drive costs downward. Market value ...
- 10 Best Augmented Reality Stocks Under $5on February 7, 2024 at 4:00 pm
Photo by David Dvořáček on Unsplash Best Augmented Reality Stocks Under $5 10. ImagineAR Inc. (OTC:IPNFF) Share Price as of February 6: $0.0401 Number of Hedge Fund Holders: N/A ImagineAR Inc ...
- The Accuracy And Reliability Of Augmented Reality In Surgeryon February 5, 2024 at 5:00 am
The primary advantage of immersive augmented reality (AR) in surgical navigation lies in its ability to overlay critical information directly onto the surgeon's field of view. Surgeons often work ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”augmented reality” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]