On most aircraft ice-detection systems, the sensors can’t be located right on the aerofoil surfaces that most need to be kept ice-free – the addition of a protruding sensor would ruin their aerodynamics.
Now, however, UK-based GKN Aerospace has announced the new ON-WINGS system. It mounts completely flush with the skin of the aircraft, allowing it to be integrated directly onto wings, rotor blades, or anyplace else that needs to be kept sleek and free of ice.
Ice sensing is performed by optical fibers in a sensing head, that runs along the length of the surface in question. These fibers emit light, plus they measure how much of that light is reflected back to them by any ice present. Using this feedback system, they are able to determine “the precise type, severity, thickness and location of any ice as it develops.”
The sensor subsequently notifies the aircraft’s existing electro-thermal ice protection system, so it can precisely and thoroughly melt away the ice where and when needed.
The Latest Bing News on:
Aircraft wing ice detection
- Coast Guard’s Project Titanic patrols the arctic for hazardous icebergson May 11, 2022 at 10:03 am
Ever since the aftermath of the Titanic disaster, the Coast Guard has been patrolling the North Atlantic for icebergs that could pose hazards.
- NTSB: Pilot didn’t clear ice before airplane crash that killed 9on May 9, 2022 at 8:56 am
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Federal investigators confirmed that the buildup of ice on the wings and other parts of the plane was a key factor in a 2019 crash that killed nine of 12 members of an Idaho family ...
- Janes - News pageon May 5, 2022 at 5:00 pm
A battery of the Chinese-made FK-3 air defence system was among the Serbian Armed Forces' (SAF's) ne... The S-500 long-range surface-to-air missile system has entered series production, Almaz ...
- 'Is that discrimination?' Traveler claims he was stopped by TSA for an extra pat-down because of his STUTTER - which an agent insisted made him seem 'nervous'on May 5, 2022 at 12:51 pm
According to a 2013 Government Accountability Office (GAO) report, detailed by the Washington Post, the Behavior Detection and Analysis (BDA) process used by the TSA is not supported by science.
- CO Reports: Beaver trappers battle freezing temperatures, fluctuating water levelson April 19, 2022 at 10:51 pm
Ice conditions are deteriorating rapidly throughout ... and prohibited all-terrain vehicle operations. Guida and a Crow Wing County Deputy addressed two juveniles and their parents for illegally ...
- Mad Minute stories from Tuesday, April 19thon April 19, 2022 at 4:15 pm
Doctors at Aurora Medical Center-Kenosha in Wisconsin said the situation could have led to invasive surgery, but they decided to try a device that is typically used for early detection of cancer ...
- Russia’s coastal defence systems: supporting limited naval capabilitieson April 14, 2022 at 2:46 am
Nonetheless, Moscow sought to maintain its naval ambitions, investing in the Admiral Kutznetsov aircraft carrier as well as modernising ... to an altitude of 10-15m in its terminal phase to avoid ...
- "Operation Titanic": U.S. turns to satellite technology to detect icebergson April 14, 2022 at 2:20 am
Today, the IIP pilots 9-day aircraft missions ... of flying fixed-wing aircrafts to locate icebergs," said Coast Guard Commander Marcus Hirschberg with the International Ice Patrol. . "Aerial ...
- Global Remote Electronic Unit Market (2021 to 2026) - by Application Type, End-Use, Platform Type and Geographyon March 30, 2022 at 3:27 am
The use of the remote electronic unit in fly-by-wire or power-by-wire can help in controlling aircraft, onboard business jets, military fix wing aircraft ... Fuel System, Ice Protection System, and ...
- Weather Forecastingon March 29, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Chunks of rime ice were crashing against the observatory ... 18,000 from weather buoys, 115,000 from aircraft, about 250,000 from balloons, and 140 million from satellites. Other data, in ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Aircraft wing ice detection
The Latest Bing News on:
- 'IceApple' Post-Exploitation Framework Created for Long-Running Operationson May 13, 2022 at 4:30 am
Dubbed IceApple and targeting Microsoft Exchange servers, the framework is an in-memory-only tool designed to evade detection and provide long-time access to the compromised environments. The ...
- Australia ice hockey deal for Sportradaron May 12, 2022 at 11:57 pm
The Australian Ice Hockey League has announced a major data and AV distribution rights partnership with Sportradar.
- Sportradar selected by Australian Ice Hockey league to provide technological solutionson May 12, 2022 at 8:16 am
The Australian Ice Hockey League (AIHL) announced a major data and AV distribution rights partnership with Sportradar, which acquires the worldwide data and audio-visual distribution rights - ...
- Sept. 2017 Neutrino Detected in NSF's IceCube (IMAGE)on May 11, 2022 at 4:39 pm
When a neutrino interacts in the clear Antarctic ice, it produces secondary particles that leave a trace of blue light as they travel through NSF's IceCube detector. Disclaimer: AAAS and EurekAlert!
- Jupiter’s moon Europa could be suitable for life, research sayson May 9, 2022 at 10:12 am
A recent study of Jupiter’s moon, Europa, showed that radiolytic oxidants made at the surface of its ice can travel to the ocean beneath its ice shell, according to a team of researchers led by ...
- Ancient groundwater discovered deep below Antarctic iceon May 9, 2022 at 1:59 am
In a new study out today in @ScienceMagazine, scientists from Scripps Oceanography, @LamontEarth, and other institutions have made the first detection of groundwater beneath an Antarctic ice stream.
- Emperor penguins at risk of extinction, experts sayon May 8, 2022 at 4:54 am
On Friday, an expert from the Argentine Antarctic Institute (IAA) warned that changes could come within the next 30 to 40 years, with climate change as the driving force.
- Emperor penguins at risk of extinctionon May 7, 2022 at 10:08 am
Emperor penguins are at risk of extinction, according to conservationists and researchers. Their disappearance could have a dramatic effect on the ecosystem there.
- Huge volume of water detected under Antarctic iceon May 5, 2022 at 1:51 pm
Vast quantities of water have been detected in sediments that underlie a part of the West Antarctic ice sheet. The volume is equivalent to a reservoir that is several hundred metres deep. The water ...
- Groundwater Discovered in Sediments Buried Deep Under Antarctic Iceon May 5, 2022 at 11:15 am
Scientists have made the first detection of groundwater beneath an Antarctic ice stream. The discovery confirms what researchers had already suspected but had been unable to verify until now.