The campaign target has already been exceeded many times over
When we first checked in on the Omni, an omnidirectional treadmill from Virtuix designed to translate the user’s physical movements into a virtual world, the company was hoping to launch a Kickstarter campaign in May. It missed that target, but only just, with a launch on June 4. The campaign target has already been exceeded many times over, meaning backers could be getting physical within virtual worlds by January 2014.
If you missed our coverage the first time around, the Omni is a motion controller that captures a player’s movements using a sloped octagonal platform topped with a low-friction surface. This surface features grooves into which pins on special shoes worn by the user slot to prevent unwanted lateral movement. The device can also work in conjunction with Microsoft’s Kinect to allow tracking of other body movements, such as jumping, ducking and arm movements.
The Omni will also work with the Oculus Rift and other head mounted displays to provide an immersive virtual reality (VR) experience. According to Virtuix, all Rift games will be supported as soon as that product launches. In addition, it can be used with any game that accepts keystrokes as the input method as the included software is able to translate the user’s movements into keystrokes. This means gamers will be able to use it with almost any PC game on the market.
The team had mentioned that it planned to decrease the size of the prototype from the previous 48 in (122 cm) diameter, but it looks like it will remain that size, at least for the time being. It weighs in at 110 lb (50 kg), but it does break into pieces for storage purposes.
The creators of the Omni also talk about the device’s potential fitness applications, with taking a jog through Skyrim given as one possible example that is demonstrated in the following video (although at more of a stroll than a jog). That certainly seems like a more enjoyable way to lose weight than simply staring at a wall or TV on a traditional treadmill. The software will also track distance traveled and calories burned.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Feed has no items.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Reverence Beauty Inc. Launches Pigment Science Courses in the Augmented Reality Metaverseon May 19, 2022 at 11:55 pm
LOS ANGELES, CA / ACCESSWIRE / May 20, 2022 / Reverence Beauty Inc., a permanent makeup (PMU) pigment line, has announced the release of pigment science courses amid the success of their pigment line.
- First Virtual Reality cliff jumping opens in Utahon May 19, 2022 at 2:14 pm
For anyone who’s ever wanted to cliff dive, but could never bring themselves to do it — a new hyperreality simulation will give Utahns the opportunity to test ...
- NASA is offering $70,000 for help designing a virtual reality Mars to help train astronautson May 19, 2022 at 12:00 pm
The space agency put out a call for help creating “a new virtual reality research, development, and testing environment to help prepare for the experiences and situations that will be encountered on ...
- WIMI Hologram Academy: Virtual Reality Technology Provides An Immersive Recovery Experienceon May 19, 2022 at 5:32 am
WIMI Hologram Academy, working in partnership with the Holographic Science Innovation Center, has written a new technical article describing their exploration of virtual reality technology in the ...
- Global Virtual Reality Market To Be Driven By Rising Demand For Virtual Platforms In The Forecast Period Of 2021-2026on May 19, 2022 at 5:17 am
The new report by Expert Market Research titled, ‘Global Virtual Reality Market Report and Forecast 2021-2026’, gives an in-depth analysis of the ...
- Virtual and Augmented Reality Company zSpace Going Public Through SPACon May 18, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Space will merge with EdtechX Holdings Acquisition Corp. II, an education- and workforce-focused special purpose acquisition company, or SPAC.
- The Funded: A virtual reality startup annonuced a SPAC merger that will cut its valuation by $165Mon May 18, 2022 at 12:27 pm
Space announced plans to go public in one of the few #SPAC deals of late. But it will take a big hit to its valuation as part of the process. #startups #venture #SiliconValley #SanFrancisco #BayArea # ...
- Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR VR) Market Scope 2022: Driving Factors, Market Analysis, Investment Feasibility and Trends Forecast To 2028on May 18, 2022 at 1:10 am
Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR VR) Market" research report 2022 provides size estimates, average price by manufacturers, and consumption by country, industry growth rate analysis by type and market ...
- East Sacramento memory care center uses virtual reality to help bring memory backon May 17, 2022 at 6:49 pm
Virtual reality technology is helping people living with Alzheimer's and dementia at Oakmont of East Sacramento. The retirement community's Memory Care program works with Rendever to obtain virtual ...
- Virtual reality meditation: Awe, avatars and psychedelic designson May 17, 2022 at 5:00 am
I was using TRIPP, a virtual reality meditation app that encourages users to focus on their breath while viewing engaging visuals. During the pandemic and mental health crisis, VR meditation apps have ...