The campaign target has already been exceeded many times over
When we first checked in on the Omni, an omnidirectional treadmill from Virtuix designed to translate the user’s physical movements into a virtual world, the company was hoping to launch a Kickstarter campaign in May. It missed that target, but only just, with a launch on June 4. The campaign target has already been exceeded many times over, meaning backers could be getting physical within virtual worlds by January 2014.
If you missed our coverage the first time around, the Omni is a motion controller that captures a player’s movements using a sloped octagonal platform topped with a low-friction surface. This surface features grooves into which pins on special shoes worn by the user slot to prevent unwanted lateral movement. The device can also work in conjunction with Microsoft’s Kinect to allow tracking of other body movements, such as jumping, ducking and arm movements.
The Omni will also work with the Oculus Rift and other head mounted displays to provide an immersive virtual reality (VR) experience. According to Virtuix, all Rift games will be supported as soon as that product launches. In addition, it can be used with any game that accepts keystrokes as the input method as the included software is able to translate the user’s movements into keystrokes. This means gamers will be able to use it with almost any PC game on the market.
The team had mentioned that it planned to decrease the size of the prototype from the previous 48 in (122 cm) diameter, but it looks like it will remain that size, at least for the time being. It weighs in at 110 lb (50 kg), but it does break into pieces for storage purposes.
The creators of the Omni also talk about the device’s potential fitness applications, with taking a jog through Skyrim given as one possible example that is demonstrated in the following video (although at more of a stroll than a jog). That certainly seems like a more enjoyable way to lose weight than simply staring at a wall or TV on a traditional treadmill. The software will also track distance traveled and calories burned.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Treadmill To Belt Grinder Conversion Worked Outon March 28, 2023 at 5:00 pm
A powerful DC motor including a flywheel was scavenged from one treadmill, the speed controller came from another. [Mike] won’t miss the workout bench: Once you’re welding a piece of steel ...
- Omni-directional Treadmill Market Size, Regional Status, and Outlook 2023-2028on March 27, 2023 at 4:14 pm
We've been tracking the direct and indirect consequences of the COVID-19 outbreak on the Omni-directional Treadmill market. To Know How Covid-19 Pandemic will Impact this Industry -https ...
- Omni One is a complete VR entertainment system with treadmill and shipping nowon March 23, 2023 at 4:25 pm
It's an all-in-one VR solution with an omnidirectional treadmill that allows complete movement in VR games and software. Popular Now: Researchers that built a ChatGPT clone for $600 killed it over ...
- Virtuix targets Omni One VR treadmills at home consumerson March 21, 2023 at 7:10 pm
It will be an omni-directional treadmill that enables players to walk or run in any direction through video games and other virtual environments. Austin, Texas-based Virtuix said it has a waitlist ...
- Virtuix launches Omni One, an omni-directional treadmill for VRon March 21, 2023 at 3:47 am
Virtuix launches Omni One, its omni-directional treadmill for virtual reality games and experiences | VR News from Auganix.org ...
- Virtuix's Omni One VR treadmill is finally making its way to customerson March 21, 2023 at 3:00 am
Gamers looking for a more immersive VR experience in their own home might finally get it with Virtuix's Omni One. Virtuix has been developing the treadmill-like gaming machine for years and, following ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Omnidirectional treadmill” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Elon Musk celebrates the metaverse's decline as corporate hype and virtual-land prices deflateon March 30, 2023 at 8:09 am
Alongside Disney, Microsoft also closed its own metaverse project last month, while Meta Platforms de-emphasized its focus on becoming the leading virtual reality creator. Despite Facebook changing ...
- 42 things that changed gaming, from Computer Space to virtual realityon March 30, 2023 at 8:06 am
After years of false starts, the Oculus Rift headset finally made home virtual reality viable and created a market that the likes of HTC, Sony and Valve have since joined. The technology has added an ...
- Mice play virtual reality games to reveal how memories are selected for long-term storageon March 30, 2023 at 8:00 am
Neuroscientists watched the brains of mice as they played virtual reality games to elucidate how memory goes from its initial formation in the hippocampus to longer-term storage in the cortex.
- PlayStation VR 2 review: Stress-free virtual realityon March 30, 2023 at 7:49 am
The young medium of virtual reality is having a growth spurt in 2023. One of the major highlights of this banner year for the platform is the introduction of the PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2). This is the ...
- Virtual Reality Content Creation Market Report Growth 2023-2029on March 30, 2023 at 6:24 am
Mar 29, 2023 (The Expresswire) -- [113+ Pages with Synopsis] COVID-19 Impact, Despite Inflation and Fearing Recession, Businesses across the Globe Expected to Do Better in 2023 Top “Virtual Reality ...
- Virtual Reality in Gaming Market Share By 2031on March 29, 2023 at 8:36 pm
The MarketWatch News Department was not involved in the creation of this content. Mar 29, 2023 (The Expresswire) -- "Virtual Reality in Gaming Market" Report covers specified competitive outlook ...
- Brain Imaging and Virtual Reality to Study Autism’s Neural Networkson March 29, 2023 at 5:00 am
A new study details the use of brain imaging and virtual reality (VR) to identify biomarkers for brain disorders.
- Wichita police to test new Tasers and virtual reality, consider expanding body cam useon March 28, 2023 at 12:53 pm
Wichita police are wanting to test a virtual reality training simulator and a new Taser, with plans to implement them department-wide if the tests are successful. Officials from Arizona-based Axon ...
- Using virtual reality to investigate autism's neural network dynamicson March 28, 2023 at 8:00 am
An international research collaboration has developed a VR imaging system that can measure a wide range of neural activity in the cortices of mice during active behavior. This enabled them to ...
- You can now experience how death feels through virtual realityon March 27, 2023 at 4:20 pm
At once meditative and unsettling, this interactive work guides participants through a simulated de-escalation of life, from cardiac arrest to brain death,” reads the ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”virtual reality” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]