The campaign target has already been exceeded many times over
When we first checked in on the Omni, an omnidirectional treadmill from Virtuix designed to translate the user’s physical movements into a virtual world, the company was hoping to launch a Kickstarter campaign in May. It missed that target, but only just, with a launch on June 4. The campaign target has already been exceeded many times over, meaning backers could be getting physical within virtual worlds by January 2014.
If you missed our coverage the first time around, the Omni is a motion controller that captures a player’s movements using a sloped octagonal platform topped with a low-friction surface. This surface features grooves into which pins on special shoes worn by the user slot to prevent unwanted lateral movement. The device can also work in conjunction with Microsoft’s Kinect to allow tracking of other body movements, such as jumping, ducking and arm movements.
The Omni will also work with the Oculus Rift and other head mounted displays to provide an immersive virtual reality (VR) experience. According to Virtuix, all Rift games will be supported as soon as that product launches. In addition, it can be used with any game that accepts keystrokes as the input method as the included software is able to translate the user’s movements into keystrokes. This means gamers will be able to use it with almost any PC game on the market.
The team had mentioned that it planned to decrease the size of the prototype from the previous 48 in (122 cm) diameter, but it looks like it will remain that size, at least for the time being. It weighs in at 110 lb (50 kg), but it does break into pieces for storage purposes.
The creators of the Omni also talk about the device’s potential fitness applications, with taking a jog through Skyrim given as one possible example that is demonstrated in the following video (although at more of a stroll than a jog). That certainly seems like a more enjoyable way to lose weight than simply staring at a wall or TV on a traditional treadmill. The software will also track distance traveled and calories burned.
The Latest Bing News on:
- The Simulacrum, An Innovative Solution To Walking In Virtual Realityon April 10, 2021 at 4:59 pm
The first thing that usually pops into peoples minds are Omni Directional Treadmills, or ODTs. There are many problems with these, one of the biggest simply being cost. They’re very expensive.
- Xiaomi Mi Smart Band 6 gets "full screen" AMOLED display, Mi Smart Projector 2 Pro also unveiledon March 29, 2021 at 8:18 am
6 of these modes can be auto detected: walking, treadmill, cycling ... it all takes just a couple of seconds. Omnidirectional keystone correction is also done automatically with a camera that ...
- This Week In XR: Rec Room’s Now A Billion Dollar Unicornon March 26, 2021 at 1:16 pm
The Omni One is an omni-directional treadmill which lets users walk and run inside games and virtual worlds in VR. Blippar, an AR brand marketing company, closed a $5 million pre-Series A funding ...
- 8 ways Star Trek helped change science and the future as we know iton March 25, 2021 at 2:00 pm
And already we are in the midst of testing and developing VR rooms with omnidirectional treadmills and dome-shaped ceilings covered in projectors to simulate everything from military to sci-fi ...
- Homeuse Indoor Gym Equipment Running Machine Simple Folding Treadmillon March 15, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Gym Equipment Running Machine Simple Folding Treadmill is an easy piece of gym equipment to use and control. You can change your workout as required. Product Features 1. Light: only 30kg which is the ...
- Virtuix Omni: An Omnidirectional Treadmill for VR Gamingon March 11, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The missing piece? According to startup Virtuix, the answer is the Omni – an omnidirectional treadmill that can fit inside someone’s living room. The company has already successfully funded ...
- Search Results for: treadmillon February 25, 2021 at 4:00 pm
A powerful DC motor including a flywheel was scavenged from one treadmill, the speed controller came from another. [Mike] won’t miss the workout bench: Once you’re welding a piece of steel ...
- Omni-directional Treadmills Could Allow You to Roam Virtual Environmentson February 25, 2021 at 10:46 am
The Daily Roundup is our comprehensive coverage of the VR industry wrapped up into one daily email, delivered directly to your inbox. The Daily Roundup is our comprehensive coverage of the VR ...
- IEEE ... International Conference on Rehabilitation Roboticson February 20, 2021 at 4:00 pm
A Comprehensive Analysis of Sensorimotor Mechanisms of Inter-Leg Coordination in Gait Using the Variable Stiffness Treadmill: Physiological Insights for Improved Robot-Assisted Gait Therapy.
- Cyberith Omnidirectional VR Treadmill Launches ‘Virtualizer’ Kickstarter on July 23rdon February 22, 2019 at 4:30 pm
Omnidirectional treadmills are by definition, never going to be subtle devices. However, the company is keen to emphasise the portability and practicalities of owning such a thing: The ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Virtual Reality Changing Scope, Future of Medical Trainingon April 16, 2021 at 1:05 pm
On April 6, during a live demonstration of the new PerSim virtual reality device before assembled MSISRP staff, the synergy of technological advancement and medical training took one more step toward ...
- Virtual Reality Software Market Is Booming Worldwide : Microsoft, Google, Qualcommon April 16, 2021 at 12:45 pm
What's Ahead in the Global Virtual Reality Software Market? Benchmark yourself with strategic steps and conclusions recently published by AMA. This press release was orginally dis ...
- Virtual Reality In Healthcare Market Size, Growth Outlook, Trends and Forecast 2020 to 2027on April 16, 2021 at 2:02 am
The report covers the forecast and analysis of the virtual reality in healthcare market on a global and regional level.
- Barbara Hendel: Virtual events a new reality in Toledo and beyondon April 15, 2021 at 8:02 pm
VIRTUAL events are a reality. The Northwest Ohio Chapter of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) hosted a virtual event in March about the future of virtual reality in communications.
- US Virtual and Augmented Reality Users 2021on April 15, 2021 at 2:10 pm
This report provides our latest forecasts for VR and AR users in the US and examines some market dynamics affecting the maturation of immersive technologies.
- The impact of COVID-19 on Virtual Reality Market Forecast 2025 Global Size, Key Companies, Trends, Growth and Regional Forecasts Researchon April 14, 2021 at 10:31 pm
The report provides revenue of the global Virtual Reality Marketfor the period 2016 and 2025, considering 2020 as the ...
- Why Now Is The Time To Start Your Virtual Reality Businesson April 14, 2021 at 8:10 pm
With technology now catching up, there really has never been a better time to get into the virtual reality market.
- Virtual Reality (VR) In Healthcare Market to Rise Significantly from Key End-use Industry Sectorson April 14, 2021 at 10:29 am
The global virtual reality vr in healthcare market is estimated to surpass 3 179 6 million by 2027 exhibiting a CAGR of 33 2 from 2020 to 2027 This report provides detailed insights on the present ...
- Oculus plans a virtual reality gaming showcase for April 21on April 12, 2021 at 10:00 pm
Facebook said its Oculus division will hold a virtual reality gaming showcase on April 21. The event will feature new VR games.
- Blockchain-based VR world aims to take virtual reality to the next levelon April 12, 2021 at 3:08 am
A blockchain project says it is taking virtual reality to the next level by creating the “3D internet” — a world that is built and owned by the people who use it.