A transmission capacity of 1.6 terabits per second
As rapidly increasing demand for bandwidth strains the Internet’s capacity, a team of engineers has devised a new fiber optic technology that promises to increase bandwidth dramatically. The new technology could enable Internet providers to offer much greater connectivity – from decreased network congestion to on-demand video streaming.
Described in the June 28 issue of the journal Science, the technology centers on donut-shaped laser light beams called optical vortices, in which the light twists like a tornado as it moves along the beam path, rather than in a straight line.
Widely studied in molecular biology, atomic physics and quantum optics, optical vortices (also known as orbital angular momentum, or OAM, beams) were thought to be unstable in fiber, until BU Engineering Professor Siddharth Ramachandran recently designed an optical fiber that can propagate them. In the paper, he and Alan Willner of USC demonstrate not only the stability of the beams in optical fiber but also their potential to boost Internet bandwidth.
“For several decades since optical fibers were deployed, the conventional assumption has been that OAM-carrying beams are inherently unstable in fibers,” said Ramachandran. “Our discovery, of design classes in which they are stable, has profound implications for a variety of scientific and technological fields that have exploited the unique properties of OAM-carrying light, including the use of such beams for enhancing data capacity in fibers.”
The reported research represents a close collaboration between optical fiber experts at BU and optical communication systems experts at USC. “Siddharth’s fiber represents a very unique and valuable innovation. It was great to work together to demonstrate a terabit-per-second capacity transmission link,” said Willner, electrical engineering professor at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering.
Ramachandran and Willner collaborated with OFS-Fitel, a fiber optics company in Denmark, and Tel Aviv University.
Funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, the technology could not come at a better time, as one of the main strategies to boost Internet bandwidth is running into roadblocks just as mobile devices fuel rapidly growing demands on the Internet. Traditionally, bandwidth has been enhanced by increasing the number of colors, or wavelengths of data-carrying laser signals—essentially streams of 1s and 0s—sent down an optical fiber, where the signals are processed according to color. Increasing the number of colors has worked well since the 1990s when the method was introduced, but now that number is reaching physical limits.
An emerging strategy to boost bandwidth is to send the light through a fiber along distinctive paths, or modes, each carrying a cache of data from one end of the fiber to the other. Unlike the colors, however, data streams of 1s and 0s from different modes mix together; determining which data stream came from which source requires computationally intensive and energy-hungry digital signal processing algorithms.
Ramachandran’s and Willner’s approach combines both strategies, packing several colors into each mode, and using multiple modes.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Why Tesla's Supercharger Congestion Fees Might Actually Be a Good Thingon November 23, 2023 at 7:00 pm
We’re not shy about criticizing Tesla’s past decisions, but its latest move to introduce congestion fees at its Superchargers may turn out to be a win-win. Certain Supercharger stations in the ...
- Save money and boost your home Wi-Fi with Amazon’s Eero Pro 6E dealon November 23, 2023 at 5:59 pm
Amazon introduced the Eero Pro 6E in 2022. The device, which aims to improve wireless internet coverage in and around your home, is currently discounted on Amazon as part of its Black Friday sale. The ...
- Tesla's New Supercharger Congestion Fee Is Ridiculously Expensiveon November 23, 2023 at 9:13 am
And just before Thanksgiving, too. Tesla drivers, beware. Tesla has introduced a new Supercharger congestion fee at specific locations across the United States. It's a more expensive penalty than ...
- ADM AÉROPORTS DE MONTRÉAL ANNOUNCES MEASURES TO ALLEVIATE CONGESTION AT YUL BY SUMMER 2024on November 22, 2023 at 11:45 am
These shuttles will follow a route that avoids congestion and the journey will take approximately 5 minutes. These alternate drop-off zones served by shuttle buses will also be accessible to ...
- Montreal airport moves to reduce car congestion after traffic backupson November 22, 2023 at 6:02 am
The authority overseeing the Montreal airport is announcing measures to reduce congestion after a post-pandemic surge in car traffic over the summer prompted a wave of frustration among passengers ...
- Tesla introduces new fee to limit congestion at Superchargerson November 22, 2023 at 4:41 am
In the US, the Supercharger Congestion Fee kicks in after a car hits 90 percent charge, at which point drivers will be hit with a $1 fee for each minute they continue to charge their vehicles.
- Montreal airport moves to reduce car congestion after traffic backupson November 21, 2023 at 4:00 pm
MONTREAL - The authority overseeing the Montreal airport has announced measures to reduce congestion after a surge in car traffic over the summer prompted a wave of frustration among passengers ...
- Trudeau airport operator takes steps to cut congestionon November 21, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Montreal’s airport operator is rolling out several changes aimed at easing congestion by next summer amid a post-pandemic surge in passenger traffic. We apologize, but this video has failed to load.
- Congestion Pricing Helping NYC’s Cycling Community - OPENon November 15, 2023 at 9:11 am
remove-circle Internet Archive's in-browser video "theater" requires ... Jon Orcutt to discuss how the upcoming congestion pricing could potentially help the city's cycling community. For more ...
- Best Internet Providers in Anchorage, Alaskaon November 12, 2023 at 3:13 pm
GCI is the best internet provider in Anchorage, with the city's fastest speeds and broadest coverage. It's the only wired connection available in Anchorage, making it less susceptible to weather ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Internet congestion” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Internet speed being restored as IIG operators start paying dueson November 26, 2023 at 1:34 am
The state-run Bangladesh Submarine Cables PLC (BSCPLC), which connects Bangladesh to the world through undersea cable for the internet, has started to restore internet speed of different International ...
- Expect improved Internet speed, Glo tells customerson November 25, 2023 at 6:01 pm
Globacom said it had invested heavily in infrastructure to improve internet speed as more optic fibre cables are being laid nationwide.
- Internet goes slow as bandwidth cut to operators for Tk 380cr dueson November 24, 2023 at 10:29 am
Users at different levels have been facing a slow internet problem as the state-run Bangladesh Submarine Cables PLC slowed ...
- Internet users face low speed as 25pc internet supply blockedon November 24, 2023 at 5:40 am
The state-run Bangladesh Submarine Cables PLC (BSCPLC), which connects Bangladesh to the world through undersea cable for the internet, blocked bandwidth supply by around 25 percent last night.
- Internet speed reduced across Bangladesh due to unsettled billson November 24, 2023 at 5:40 am
A submarine cable company has shut down the bandwidth of 19 of the country's 34 International Internet Gateway (IIG) companies due to outstanding bills. As a result, many internet customers in the ...
- SU boosts internet bandwidth to enhance connectivity for students, teacherson November 23, 2023 at 2:10 am
The management of the University of Sindh (SU) has successfully doubled its internet bandwidth from 150MB to 300MB, ushering in a new era of improved online services for both students and faculty ...
- High internet speed vital for digital transformation: ministeron November 21, 2023 at 5:35 am
Communication and Informatics Minister Budi Arie Setiadi said here Tuesday that good internet speed is key for bringing about digital transformation ...
- Every state is about to dole out federal funding for broadband internet – not every state is ready for the taskon November 20, 2023 at 5:16 am
Every state is poised to receive a large amount of federal money to expand broadband access, but they have a lot of work to do to meet the government’s requirements for distributing it.
- Bangladesh 111th in mobile internet speed: Ooklaon November 18, 2023 at 11:59 am
Bangladesh currently ranks 111th among 142 countries in mobile internet speed, according to the latest findings by the US-based organisation Ookla. The data, part of Ookla's Speedtest Global Index, ...
- PTA to Review Cost of Internet Bandwidth in Pakistanon November 14, 2023 at 3:19 am
The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) is set to evaluate and reassess the pricing structure for wholesale IP bandwidth, commonly referred to as internet bandwidth. Sources told ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”internet bandwidth” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]