Engineers at Oregon State University are studying a new approach to organize and route truck transportation that could save millions of dollars, improve the quality of life for thousands of truck drivers and make freight transportation far more efficient.
The findings, published recently in Transportation Research Part E, show the feasibility of the new system. More research is still needed before implementation, but there’s potential to revolutionize the way that truck transportation is handled in the United States and around the world, some experts say.
Loads could be delivered more rapidly, costs could be lowered, and the exhausting experience of some truck drivers who often spend two to three weeks on the road between visits back home might be greatly reduced. This difficult lifestyle often leads them to quit their job as a result.
That turnover problem is sufficiently severe that more long-haul, full-truckload drivers quit every year than there are trucks of that type on the road.
“The perceived quality of life for long-haul truck drivers is poor, and it shouldn’t have to be that way,” said Hector Vergara, an assistant professor in the OSU School of Mechanical, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, who is working on this project in collaboration with researchers at the University of Arkansas.
“It will take a transition for companies to see how the approach we are studying can work effectively, but it should help address several of the problems they face,” he said.
In truck transportation, some of the existing approaches include “point to point,” in which one driver stays with a full load all the way to its often-distant destination; “hub and spoke” systems in which less-than-full loads are changed at selected points; and “relay” networks in which the drivers change but the load stays on the truck.
None of these systems by themselves are ideal for long-haul transport. The hub and spoke system is among the most popular with drivers because they get home much more frequently, but it can be costly and inefficient for full-truckload transportation. Relay networks make sense in theory but are difficult to implement.
The new approach under study combines the relay system and the point-to-point system for full-truckload transport. The researchers at OSU developed a new mathematical approach to optimize the design of the dispatching system for the movement of goods and to minimize the impact on drivers. It’s one of the first models of its type to create a mixed-fleet dispatching system at a large scale.
“We now know this approach can work,” Vergara said. “Compared to point-to-point, this system should cut the length of trips a driver makes by about two-thirds, and get drivers back to their homes much more often. We can also keep loads moving while drivers rest, and because of that save significant amounts of money on the number of trucks needed to move a given amount of freight.”
The Latest Bing News on:
New dispatch system
- Dispatch to New IG Usman Babaon April 16, 2021 at 7:47 pm
RingTrue BY Yemi Adebowale Phone 08054699539 Email: [email protected] My dear IG Usman Baba, the attack on the headquarters of the Imo State Police Command in Owerri, on April 5, ...
- Lawrence County, Ky dispatch receives grant to improve equipmenton April 16, 2021 at 6:03 pm
In a job where seconds matter, Lawrence County Kentucky 911 dispatchers rely on their technology to make sure whoever is on the other end of the line is not kept waiting. “Anytime the phone rings, you ...
- Cullman 911 system gets upgradeon April 16, 2021 at 12:17 pm
Thanks to a $150,000 grant received through the Cullman County E-911 Board, the City of Cullman’s emergency dispatch center has undergone some much-needed upgrades.
- New initiative aims to help Providence officers interact effectively with autistic residentson April 15, 2021 at 4:29 pm
The Providence Police Department is taking steps to ensure officers know how to respond to calls involving residents who have autism.
- Hudson Police Department modernizes dispatch centeron April 15, 2021 at 4:16 am
The Hudson Police Department recently finished an $804,500 upgrade of its technology systems at its dispatch center.
- Oakmont firefighters propose new alert systemon April 7, 2021 at 7:00 pm
The new system will have more controls through an app and Allegheny County dispatch so there can be targeted alerts, Carroll said. Not all the sirens across Oakmont would have to sound.
- Commissioners hear presentation on new 911 dispatch systemon April 7, 2021 at 7:16 am
Monday evening, Woodward City Commissioners heard an informative presentation by IT Director Ryan O'Reilly and E-911 Director Ben Smith as they explained a system that would help prepare the 911 ...
- The emergency 911 system where callers still don’t always get proper CPR instructionson April 6, 2021 at 1:22 pm
David Smith, director of the 911 center. But he said the extra time was needed to buy and install a new $1.2 million computer-aided dispatch system so the new software can operate properly. “So that ...
- Triumph in Transition – Navy Public Safety Systems Didn’t Skip a Beaton April 6, 2021 at 6:41 am
The ribbon has been cut! In late 2020, the Antiterrorism/Force Protection Ashore Program was realigned and renamed, shifting from Naval Facilities Engineering Systems Command to Commander, Navy ...
- R.I. 911 Center delays launch of new emergency medical dispatch systemon April 6, 2021 at 3:00 am
An investigation by The Public’s Radio and ProPublica finds that in the past two years, there has been no improvement in people’s chances of receiving CPR in the critical minutes prior to the arrival ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
New dispatch system
The Latest Bing News on:
Organize and route truck transportation
- Amazon union loses election: Alabama warehouse workers reject historic organizing bidon April 9, 2021 at 9:46 pm
The union plans to file an objection to the election and expects the National Labor Relations Board to order a revote. Amazon denies allegations of improperly swaying the vote.
- Amazon union appears defeated: Alabama warehouse workers reject historic organizing bidon April 9, 2021 at 3:34 pm
This article, Amazon union appears defeated: Alabama warehouse workers reject historic organizing bid, originally appeared ... hard for delivery drivers to find bathrooms on their routes. The closely ...
- How 5G Could Drastically Change Your Jobon April 1, 2021 at 12:15 pm
Squads of cars or trucks that move in perfect synchronicity ... and relay traffic conditions and possible re-routes in an instant, much more granular way than current GPS-mapping on a smartphone.
- Minnesota Police Ready for Pipeline Resistance as Enbridge Seeks to Drill Under Riverson March 31, 2021 at 12:23 am
Enbridge, the Canadian energy-transport firm, is planning to route its Line 3 pipeline under ... As the ice melts away, so do the restrictions. Those organizing against the project worry that ...
- Winter parking regulations along bus routes lifted in City of Buffaloon March 22, 2021 at 12:30 pm
BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Mayor Brown is suspending winter parking regulations on bus routes immediately ... the Galbani Italian Heritage Festival organizers feel after sharing the news that ...
- Monday Morning News Roundupon March 22, 2021 at 4:12 am
Kathryn Durham-Hammer, a Concord resident and one of the rally organizers, said it's important ... after a collision with a vehicle on State Route 128 east of Wragg Canyon Road, a California ...
- Atlantic County briefson March 19, 2021 at 7:57 am
who helped organize the school-wide event, helped pack up and load onto wooden pallets more than two tons of donations so that it could be picked up by a FoodBank truck on March 4. Mindy Capito ...
- Crews clear logging truck that closed all lanes on Hwy 78on March 19, 2021 at 7:25 am
CHARLESTON, S.C. (WCSC) - Dorchester County Officials say Highway 78 is closed in both directions while crews respond to an overturned log truck. The crash is at the intersection of Highway 78 and ...
- Collector wants to turn former metro Detroit school into Pontiac vehicle museumon March 19, 2021 at 5:54 am
In the middle of nowhere, opening that small museum in a small town — on historic Route 66 — brought ... Tim Dye says the Pontiac Transportation Museum he's creating inside a former ...
- COVID cancels 2021 Work Truck Showon October 22, 2020 at 7:16 am
Elizondo and his mom have made it a morning routine to wave as the drivers leave for their daily routes. As a "thank you," the workers created a special UPS truck for Elizondo. Mike Thornberry ...