UAV’s, or Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, tend to face two issues – not being able to stay on station for long periods, and carrying enough of a payload to be useful.
Nevada outfit Airship Manufacturing is introducing a new line of UAV airships, called Sky Sentinels, that promise larger payloads with greater endurance, as well as being adaptable, modular, and economical to operate. And they do this without any wings.
As a UAV, these lighter-than-air vehicles offer large payload modules, multiple sensor attachments (as many as eight per payload module), significant electric power, and endurance measured in days rather than hours. As a bonus, the airship can be very quiet, providing a near noise- and vibration-free environment for finicky sensors.
The line of Sky Sentinels airships use various engine configurations determined by the mission being flown, including a single, large, low speed stern propeller that provides nearly silent flight. Electrical power is provided by a single diesel engine. As with most airships, an internal air bladder called a ballonet allows the airship to adjust its internal pressure to match changes in the outside air pressure. This allows the airship to maintain its shape as it climbs or descends.
Talking to Gizmag, Airship Manufacturing President Paul Adams, a long time airship activist and manned airship pilot, said that the objective of the Sky Sentinel is to be a cost-effective, long-duration, large-payload system that requires a minimum of ground crew. Crewed airships require many people on the ground to “catch” the airship as it lands. The Sky Sentinel is designed to require just four or five – a major cost savings. Early testing with this airship configuration resulted in “impressive” performance with the airship able to operate safely in 20-35 knot winds.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Report to Congress on Current, Future Unmanned Aircraft Systemson August 2, 2022 at 5:35 am
The following is the July 28, 2022, Congressional Research Service report, Unmanned Aircraft Systems: Current and Potential Programs. From the report Since the dawn of military aviation, the U.S.
- Defence Ministry: RMAF to acquire unmanned aircraft system in 2025, operation to start in early 2026on August 2, 2022 at 2:30 am
Malaysia is expected to acquire Medium-altitude Long-endurance Unmanned Aircraft System (MALE UAS) in 2025 with operation commencing in early 2026, ...
- RMAF to acquire unmanned aircraft system for use by 2026on August 2, 2022 at 12:52 am
The MALE UAS asset will be stationed at the Labuan air base and carry out surveillance in the South China Sea and the east coast of Sabah.
- China's electronic warfare UAV completes performance teston August 1, 2022 at 11:38 pm
China is testing the performance of its new Feihong 95 (Flying Swan or FH-95) electronic warfare (EW), reconnaissance and strike unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).
- AFU Downed Enemy UAV In Sunflower Field: Videoon July 31, 2022 at 6:54 am
The command noted that the UAV was supposed to carry out additional reconnaissance in order to correct the enemy attacks. It is also indicated that the drone is visually similar to the Orlan-10.
- Archer UAM Aircraft Moves Forward with Honeywell’s MicroVCSon July 29, 2022 at 5:37 am
Archer UAM Aircraft Moves Closer to Commercial Viability with Honeywell Flight Control and Thermal Technology by DRONELIFE Staff Writer Ian M Crosby Archer Aviation [NYSE: ACHR] is one of the holdings ...
- HORYZN emergency UAV harnesses CFRP tooling from Voith Compositeson July 25, 2022 at 8:01 am
Voith Composites collaborated with HORYZN, a student initiative that leverages CFRP tooling and composites know-how for its Mission Pulse UAV project.
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Market Size in 2022 | No of Pages 119 | At What CAGR is the Market expected to Grow in Forecast Period 2022-2028on July 24, 2022 at 9:19 pm
Market - Covid-19 Impact and Recovery Analysis: We have been tracking the direct impact of COVID-19 on this market, as well as the indirect impact from other industries. This report analyzes the ...
- Want to work in the unmanned aircraft industry? Head to this North Carolina airporton July 22, 2022 at 8:52 am
Deal aims to help expose aviation students to drone sector that Morgan Stanley projects will be worth $1.5 trillion by 2040.
- UAF Crew, Unmanned Aircraft Help Protect Endangered Right Whaleson July 22, 2022 at 6:10 am
The Alaska Center for Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration is back in Canada to help prevent endangered North Atlantic right whales from colliding with vessels in the busy Gulf of St. Lawrence.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Drone airship hangar coming to Port St. Joeon August 1, 2022 at 4:46 pm
The premiere aerospace company of Gulf County, Skyborne Technologies, continues to expand its ventures. This time, in the form of a brand new, gigantic hangar, ...
- Square Enix Announces Five New Bookson August 1, 2022 at 1:00 am
Square Enix has announced five new publications based on their licensed titles including Final Fantasy, NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139…, My Clueless First Friend, a. These new publications will ...
- SeekReal Airship Reviewon July 28, 2022 at 3:20 pm
The SeekReal Airship has been making some waves recently, and I’ve been looking forward to trying them myself. SeekReal is not a brand that I am familiar with, but I’m looking forward to seeing what ...
- Could Airships Make A Comeback With New Hybrid Designs?on July 27, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Hybrid Air Vehicles are a UK-based startup working to create a modern take on the airship concept. The goal is to create cleaner air transport for short-hop routes, while also solving many of the ...
- Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2 launches in 2023 for PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PCon July 27, 2022 at 7:25 am
Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2 will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC in 2023, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. The sequel will feature an ...
- Chocobo and the Airship is a Final Fantasy Picture Bookon July 27, 2022 at 1:27 am
Square Enix is publishing a new picture book adventure based on Final Fantasy. Title Chocobo and the Airship, the new book hits shelves on March 21, 2023. It’s billed as a “heartwarming ...
- The Red Tenton July 27, 2022 at 1:13 am
The commander of a failed 1928 Arctic airship expedition is remembering the events of the "Italia" airship flight, crash, and subsequent rescue efforts. The "ghosts" of people involved in the events ...
- This Entrepreneur Wants to Give the World a Reason to Look Upon July 26, 2022 at 6:02 am
Just don’t call them blimps. “Airship” is the preferred term among purists for an aircraft that is kept afloat by a body of gas that is lighter than air. If all goes according to Mr ...
- Baselios team flies high in Airship Regattaon July 21, 2022 at 11:57 pm
THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: A team from Baselios Engineering College took part in the prestigious Airship Regatta competition organised as a part of the ‘International Conference on Design and ...
- Reprise of the airshipon July 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm
"Blimp Crashes Into West Side Apartment Building; Hundreds Amused" That whimsical headline about sums up the real-life, great Manhattan airship wreck in the Summer of 1993. The sight of Pizza Hut's ...