NASA announced Tuesday a Grand Challenge focused on finding all asteroid threats to human populations and knowing what to do about them.
The challenge, which was announced at an asteroid initiative industry and partner day at NASA Headquarters in Washington, is a large-scale effort that will use multi-disciplinary collaborations and a variety of partnerships with other government agencies, international partners, industry, academia, and citizen scientists. It complements NASA’s recently announced mission to redirect an asteroid and send humans to study it.
“NASA already is working to find asteroids that might be a threat to our planet, and while we have found 95 percent of the large asteroids near the Earth’s orbit, we need to find all those that might be a threat to Earth,” said NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver. “This Grand Challenge is focused on detecting and characterizing asteroids and learning how to deal with potential threats. We will also harness public engagement, open innovation and citizen science to help solve this global problem.”
Grand Challenges are ambitious goals on a national or global scale that capture the imagination and demand advances in innovation and breakthroughs in science and technology. They are an important element of President Obama’s Strategy for American Innovation.
“I applaud NASA for issuing this Grand Challenge because finding asteroid threats, and having a plan for dealing with them, needs to be an all-hands-on-deck effort,” said Tom Kalil, deputy director for technology and innovation at the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy. “The efforts of private-sector partners and our citizen scientists will augment the work NASA already is doing to improve near-Earth object detection capabilities.”
NASA also released a request for information (RFI) that invites industry and potential partners to offer ideas on accomplishing NASA’s goal to locate, redirect, and explore an asteroid, as well as find and plan for asteroid threats. The RFI is open for 30 days, and responses will be used to help develop public engagement opportunities and a September industry workshop.
The Latest Bing News on:
Asteroid Grand Challenge
- Straight Out of Armageddon : NASA Tests Asteroid Impact Before Crashing Spacecraft Into Oneon April 30, 2021 at 10:13 am
The space agency is currently working on a mission that will test whether scientists can change the motion of an asteroid in space — a project ... fact that a "short-warning scenario poses extreme ...
- UK scientist saw asteroid landingon April 26, 2021 at 5:00 pm
A British scientist was the first person to see the rocky surface of the asteroid Eros as the American Near Shoemaker spacecraft historically touched down on it. Dr Louise Prockter, 36 ...
- Scavengers launches in Early Access for PC on April 28on April 26, 2021 at 8:10 am
and conquer the challenges of a hostile wasteland. Out-think and outfight enemy players and the dwellers of the frozen Earth. They Say You Can’t Go Home We left when the asteroid shattered the ...
- Pocket Sized Sattelites For Asteroid Detectionon April 17, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Instead of simply orbiting Earth, the new plan for these kicksats is to deploy them into the path of an oncoming asteroid such as Apophis so the radio transmissions from each satellite can ...
- NASA spacecraft leaves mess after grabbing asteroid sampleson April 15, 2021 at 3:03 pm
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — A NASA spacecraft left a mess at an asteroid when it grabbed a load of rubble last year for return to Earth, new pictures revealed Thursday. The Osiris-Rex spacecraft made ...
- An asteroid just came 'exceptionally close' to hitting Earthon April 14, 2021 at 8:26 am
There will be no "Armageddon" type of situation on Earth after an asteroid the size of car just missed hitting Earth on Monday. The asteroid, known as 2021 GW4, traveled at 18,700 miles per hour when ...
- The dinosaur-killing asteroid gave Earth its rainforests, study sayson April 8, 2021 at 10:48 am
When the asteroid arrived it kicked up an incredible amount of dust and debris which was pushed into the atmosphere and began circling the globe. This is what ultimately killed off the dinosaurs ...
- Grand Tetonon March 30, 2021 at 5:00 pm
but researchers from Lawrence Livermore National lab have joined with an Air Force team of technologists to test if a nuclear blast could be used to deflect a earth-threatening asteroid.
- The reason we can’t fully explore space is fixable. Here’s howon March 30, 2021 at 11:58 am
With so many challenges facing us here on Earth ... Looking ahead, space commercialization — asteroid mining, manufacturing and scientific research — will require vast amounts of capital ...
- Safe from Apophis: Giant asteroid is now ruled out as a threat to Earthon March 29, 2021 at 7:55 am
Once ranked as the greatest potential asteroid risk to Earth, shortly after its discovery, Apophis has proved itself to be a challenge over the past decade and a half. As astronomers gathered further ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Asteroid Grand Challenge
The Latest Bing News on:
- Asteroid simulation by NASA and ESA confirms Earth not prepared for major strikeon May 1, 2021 at 10:10 pm
AN ASTEROID simulation event held by NASA and the European Space Agency has confirmed has one thing: eventually, a major asteroid is going to strike our planet and we need to prepare better for it.
- How did you spend your week? NASA pretended to crash an asteroid into Earth.on May 1, 2021 at 5:39 am
Every two years, as part of the International Academy of Astronautics' Planetary Defense Conference, scientists and emergency response personnel gather to discuss a made-up asteroid threat from ...
- NASA Would Consider Nuking an Asteroid Hurtling Towards Earth, Says Agency Scientiston April 30, 2021 at 9:57 am
The U.S. space agency has been running an imaginary scenario in which Earth is due to be hit by a hypothetical space rock.
- A 22-Million-Year Journey From the Asteroid Belt to Botswanaon April 29, 2021 at 2:06 pm
Astronomers reconstructed a space rock’s path before it exploded over southern Africa in 2018 and sprinkled the Kalahari with meteorites.
- An Asteroid Impact Simulation Is Currently Underway—and It’s Absolutely Terrifyingon April 28, 2021 at 3:10 pm
The asteroid will strike somewhere in Europe or ... In its Day 2 report, the team declared that enhanced detection abilities, like NASA’s upcoming NEO Surveyor space-based telescope, “can ...
- Asteroid three times longer than a T. Rex to shoot by Earth at 36,000 MPHon April 28, 2021 at 9:08 am
AN ASTEROID travelling at more than 36,000 miles per hour is due to zoom by Earth with the likes of NASA tracking the space rock which will come "near" to our planet.
- An Asteroid Impact Simulation Is Currently Underway — and It’s Absolutely Terrifyingon April 28, 2021 at 3:30 am
A fictitious asteroid is headed our way, and a group of real experts is currently doing their best to deal with the grim situation. The week-long tabletop exercise, now in its third day, aims to find ...
- Asteroid That Hit Botswana in 2018 Likely Came from Vestaon April 22, 2021 at 8:47 pm
The asteroid The small asteroid that impacted ... machine learning and advanced signal detection technologies. The SETI Institute is a distinguished research partner for industry, academia and ...