The proposed system (Augmented Lecture Feedback System – ALFs) seeks to improve communication between students and professors
Scientists at la Universidad Carlos III of Madrid (UC3M) have developed a system based on augmented reality that, thanks to intelligent glasses, enables a professor to see notes or comments on the contents of a lesson and to see if the students understand explanations or if, on the contrary, they are having doubts or difficulties.
The proposed system (Augmented Lecture Feedback System – ALFs) seeks to improve communication between students and professors during large lecture classes like those frequently given at universities. The way they work is quite intuitive: the professor wears a pair of augmented reality glasses that enable him/her to see symbols above each student; the symbols indicate the person’s state while this activity is taking place. “These symbols are activated by the students via their cell phones and are used to tell the professor that they don’t understand the explanation, or that they have understood it, to ask the professor to go more slowly, or to say whether or not they know the answer to the question that the professor has just asked the class,” explains one of the researchers from UC3M’s Grupo de Sistemas Interactivos (Interactive Systems Group), Telmo Zarraonandia. This way, the professor knows, simply by looking at the symbol a student has displayed over his/her head, exactly what that student wishes to communicate to him/her. In addition, on the upper part of the glasses, the system shows a diagram with the aggregate of the answers given by the students, which can be particularly useful in large groups.
The main advantage of this device is that students have a new way to communicate that enables them to be in contact with the professor both immediately and privately, and without interrupting the class. “The channel that we’ve created will help overcome the problems of timidity or fear of speaking in front of the class that some students have”, points out one of the researchers, Ignacio Aedo, a tenured professor in UC3M’s Computer Science department.
Education of the future
The architecture of the system is described in a scientific article published in the British Journal of Educational Technology in a special monographic edition dedicated to the education of the future. The prototype that these researchers have developed is controlled by gestures, captured with a Microsoft Kinect; using these gestures, the professor selects the support slide for an explanation, or activates predetermined questions to which the students respond by displaying a variety of symbols that they select using their cell phones. The system can identify the students using facial recognition (by previously loading their photographs to a database) or, in larger groups, by using a positioning system based on markers.
The Latest Bing News on:
Augmented Lecture Feedback System
- The Great Fakeon May 2, 2021 at 12:16 pm
Digital advances have taken imitative technology on a miraculous trajectory—bringing new challenges but also new possibilities.
- US Space Force will create ‘augmented humans’ for ‘unimaginable’ military strategies, chief scientist sayson April 30, 2021 at 9:07 am
The US Space Force’s chief scientist has said that “human augmentation” is “imperative” in order for it to maintain military dominance. ‘In the last century, Western civilization transformed from an ...
- Architecture Newson April 30, 2021 at 2:15 am
Interiors runs an exclusive column for ArchDaily that analyzes and diagrams films in terms of space. Kanye West followed up his demented masterpiece Yeezus with an art project—an album never ...
- 3rd SSS Promotion Forum focuses on use of latest technologieson April 29, 2021 at 8:13 pm
Promotion Consortium held the 3rd SSS Promotion Forum on March 8, 2021 to introduce the latest technological trends that will contribute ...
- Data-Efficient Learning for Complex and Real-Time Physical Problem Solving Using Augmented Simulationon April 18, 2021 at 11:07 pm
Humans quickly solve tasks in novel systems with complex dynamics, without requiring much interaction. While deep reinforcement learning algorithms have achieved tremendous success in many complex ...
- Abu Dhabi Art, Khalifa University, HCT yoke art and culture for studentson April 14, 2021 at 9:48 pm
The support offered by Abu Dhabi Art and Khalifa University for The Art and Technology Project includes an introduction to the wider art ecosystem in the UAE, a self-discovery phase, a learning ...
- These augmented-reality goggles let soldiers see through vehicle wallson April 11, 2021 at 4:53 pm
To that end, the Army awarded a contract worth up to $21.88 billion over 10 years to Microsoft for 120,000 augmented-reality ... Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS).
- Haptic-feedback smart glove as a creative human-machine interface (HMI) for virtual/augmented reality applicationson April 5, 2021 at 5:00 pm
3 Hybrid Integrated Flexible Electronic Systems ... augmented HMI. The smart glove achieves object recognition using machine learning technique, with an accuracy of 96%. Through the integrated ...
- Apple reveals future smart ring designs like a multi-ring system & rings that work with Apple Watch to control on-screen contenton April 1, 2021 at 5:21 am
The head-mountable device can be used as a virtual reality (VR) system, an augmented reality (AR ... can include speaker output and/or haptic feedback. A user may further interact with the ...
- The von Kármán Lecture Series: 2020on March 18, 2021 at 4:58 pm
We will explore how Augmented Reality, Virtual reality, and other forms of Mission Ops visualization can influence our Public Outreach and vice versa. There are lessons in defeat. This month's show ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Augmented Lecture Feedback System
The Latest Bing News on:
Education of the future
- Op-ed: ‘Decision Day’ Signals the Promise of the Futureon May 3, 2021 at 10:31 am
Still, for students and their families this is a time of year that signals propitious decisions and great expectations, along with high hopes and the inevitable degree of apprehension. The moment in ...
- Dr Frank Martin Emphasizes the Importance of T1D Educationon May 3, 2021 at 7:45 am
Frank Martin, PhD, director of research at JDRF, discusses the importance of diabetic ketoacidosis mitigation efforts and appropriate education for parents of children with type 1 diabetes (T1D).
- Other Voices: The unsung heroes of public educationon May 3, 2021 at 7:21 am
School board members are the unsung heroes of public education in Pennsylvania. While a relatively small number of school districts pay their board members ($125,000 in Los Angeles, $41,000 in Miami, ...
- Early Childhood Care And Education Industry Analysis and 2021 Future Trendson May 3, 2021 at 5:34 am
Infinity Business Insights has announced the addition of a new research analysis on the global Early Childhood Care And Education Market to its vast library, Offering Insights for Early Childhood Care ...
- The future of Edtech: How 2021 will bring faster tech adoption in the education sectoron May 3, 2021 at 12:04 am
The edu-tech or ed-tech industry is currently booming as all educational institutions small or big, are adopting a hybrid approach to learning. Necessity is the mother of all inventions.
- 7 insights for the future of learning spaceson April 30, 2021 at 6:02 am
Ultimately, the way we position education will continue to evolve and educators are looking forward to the possibility of innovation and the ways in which we can inspire change in the next generation.
- How Drones Are Changing The Future Of Educationon April 29, 2021 at 9:52 am
Steve Wozniak’s K-12 Education program Woz ED recently announced a strategic partnership with Draganfly, an award-winning, industry-leading drone solution company, to bring drones into the classroom ...
- The Future of Criminal Justice Reform: A Sphere Education Initiative Conversationon April 27, 2021 at 8:23 am
America’s criminal justice system is in crisis and calls for reform are dominating the national debate. Join Cato’s Sphere Education Initiative and Education Week for a webinar on criminal justice and ...
- Classical education is the future of Christian schoolingon April 27, 2021 at 1:05 am
CLEVELAND, OHIO, April 26, 2021 (LifeSiteNews) – It’s no secret that there's been an identity crisis in Catholic education these past 50 years. More parishes closing, fewer vocations ...
- Elevating IT: The Future of Higher Education Is Technologicalon April 26, 2021 at 12:05 pm
Over the course of several decades, information technology has ascended from a single mainframe lab to the university boardroom.