It will have a big impact in the motor, biological and robot industry.
Professor Seon Jeong Kim of Hanyang University has created a high capacity yarn muscle that does not require electrolytes or special packaging. It will have a big impact in the motor, biological and robot industry.
Kim’s article, “Electrically, Chemically, and Photonically Powered Torsional and Tensile Actuation of Hybrid Carbon Nanotube Yarn Muscles,” was published in the journal of Science. He is currently the director of the National Creative Research Initiative Center for Bio-Artificial Muscle at Hanyang University (HYU). In 2006, the research center was designated as the “Leader’s Research Support Business” by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology.
Traditional methods of electrochemically powered yarn muscles were destined to include slow responses, low strain and force generation, a short cycle life, and low energy efficiency. They were also in need of electrolytes, counter electrodes, and device packaging. Such requirements increase the weight of the actuator leading to a decrease in performance.
The ‘Hybrid Carbon Nanotube Yarn Muscles’ created by Kim however, has overcome such limitations by confining paraffin waxes, a thermally or electrothermally powered actuators, within the yarn. By doing so, the response rate is enhanced and a helical geometry enables both torsional rotation and tensile contraction.
Muscle contraction — also called actuation — can be ultrafast, occurring in 25-thousandths of a second. Including times for both actuation and reversal of actuation, the researchers demonstrated a contractile power density of 4.2 kW/kg, which is four times the power-to-weight ratio of common internal combustion engines.
Application of the ‘Hybrid Carbon Nanotube Yarn Muscles’ are diverse because the yarn muscles can be twisted together and are able to be woven, sewn, braided and knotted, they might eventually be deployed in a variety of self-powered intelligent materials and textiles.
The Latest Bing News on:
Hybrid Carbon Nanotube Yarn Muscle
- Phoenix Instinct AI Powered Smart Wheelchair Wins Toyota Mobility Challengeon January 20, 2021 at 11:02 am
Toyota Mobility Foundation, in partnership with Nesta Challenges, announces the winner of $4 million global Mobility Unlimited Challenge in virtual event.
- The Best Ski Boots of 2021on January 14, 2021 at 4:16 pm
Alpine boots, touring boots, and hybrid boots all bring different features ... edging and helped me stick to my chosen line. Carbon fiber in the cuff gave the boot a progressive feel and made ...
- Artificial Muscles To Bring Relief To Robotic Tensenesson January 14, 2021 at 4:00 pm
However, while a variety of EAPs is already commercially available and finds a wide range of application, from noiseless valve actuators to acoustic transducers, carbon-nanotube-based artificial ...
- These Cars Have Small Engines… But Still, Pack A Serious Punchon January 12, 2021 at 10:58 am
These days, there really is a replacement for displacement! Turbocharging allows small engines to unleash hundreds of horsepower at will.
- New autos: What's coming to showrooms in 2021on January 4, 2021 at 9:09 pm
A hybrid model might be coming, too. The Wrangler muscle car. The 392 means the ... With 621 horsepower and stiff carbon-fiber tub, the Maserati MC20 should be a rocket. Mercedes' flagship sedan ...
- Out to pasture: These cars aren't coming back in 2021on December 30, 2020 at 9:02 pm
Alfa Romeo’s sensational coupe ends its run as America’s only sports car under $100,000 with a carbon-fiber chassis ... drive, a hybrid plug-in model, even a hopped-up V-6 muscle sedan.
- Ford F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid Drag Races GMC Sierra CarbonPro, Ram 1500on December 23, 2020 at 3:29 pm
Heavy hybrid battles carbon fiber and Hemi power. Once upon a time, a drag race showdown of Detroit iron would include muscle cars from Ford, General Motors, and Chrysler. That still applies with ...
- Life Sciences A - Zon August 13, 2020 at 12:25 pm
News-Medical talks to Dipanjan Pan about the development of a paper-based electrochemical sensor that can detect COVID-19 in less than five minutes.
- 2021 Lotus Evijaon June 7, 2019 at 5:32 am
The car's sculpted carbon-fiber body travels close to the ground ... street legal in the U.S. The star of the show is the Evija's muscle-bound electric powertrain. Motivation is provided by ...
- Christopher L. Kitchens, Ph.D.on July 6, 2016 at 10:21 pm
Kitchens, C.L.; “More Elongated Solution Structures in Lignin Precursors Improve Properties of Resultant Carbon Fibers ... Kitchens, C.L.; “Carbon Nanotube and Cellulose Nanocrystal Hybrid Films” ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Hybrid Carbon Nanotube Yarn Muscle
The Latest Bing News on:
- Handmade comfort for the dark days of winteron January 20, 2021 at 12:00 am
The shortage of face masks in the earliest days of the pandemic had Americans hauling dust-covered sewing machines out of closets and haunting craft stores for cotton fabric and quarter-inch ...
- Bird ‘Fitbit’ and muscle samples indicate fit flierson January 19, 2021 at 11:07 am
New research on the muscles of black-legged kittiwakes suggests some of the birds are simply better athletes than others.
- Well-built muscles underlie athletic performance in birdson January 18, 2021 at 8:13 am
Muscle structure and body size predict the athletic performance of Olympic athletes, such as sprinters. The same, it appears, is true of wild seabirds that can commute hundreds of kilometers a day to ...
- Designer cytokine makes paralyzed mice walk againon January 17, 2021 at 4:45 am
This is caused by damage to nerve fibers, so-called axons, which carry information from the brain to the muscles and back from the skin and muscles. If these fibers are damaged due to injury or ...
- TestoFuel Review: Best Testosterone Booster Supplement For Muscle Masson January 16, 2021 at 5:18 am
TestoFuel is a well researched supplement that helps increase testosterone levels. As the company says,'TestoFuel is an extensively ...
- Scientists identify animal model to study human musculoskeletal agingon January 14, 2021 at 10:49 am
There are many components to aging, both mental and physical. When it comes to the infrastructure of the human body - the musculoskeletal system that includes muscles, bones, tendons and cartilage - ...
- Compound protects myelin, nerve fiberson January 13, 2021 at 4:13 pm
A compound appears to protect nerve fibers and the fatty sheath, called myelin, that covers nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. The new research in a mouse model advances earlier work to develop ...
- Study suggests compound protects myelin, nerve fiberson January 13, 2021 at 12:35 pm
A compound developed at Oregon Health & Science University appears to protect nerve fibers and the fatty sheath, called myelin, that covers nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord.
- Private Traders Offer Higher Than MSP For Cotton In Punjab On Huge CCI Procurement, Spike In Yarn Rateson January 12, 2021 at 10:31 pm
Punjab cotton growers are now being offered prices far higher than the MSP by private traders — as high as Rs 5,900 a quintal. Even as a section of their fellow farmers is protesting against the ...
- New technology helps study muscle biology more clearlyon January 12, 2021 at 10:24 pm
Exercising regularly is one of the best defenses against metabolic diseases, such as obesity and diabetes - but why? It's a question that scientists are still struggling to answer. While exercising ...