How chewing gum or a shed hair can let strangers read your ‘Book of Life’
Someone finds that piece of chewing gum you pitched today, uses the saliva to sequence your DNA and surreptitiously reads your book of life — including genetic secrets like your susceptibility to diseases. If that scenario, posed in an article in the current edition of Chemical & Engineering News, causes a little discomfort, consider this: That stranger also uses the DNA to reconstruct a copy of y-o-u.
Linda Wang, a senior editor of C&EN, the weekly newsmagazine of the American Chemical Society, the world’s largest scientific society, focuses on an unusual art exhibition that raises those and other unsettling questions. The exhibit, “Stranger Visions,” contains the work of Heather Dewey-Hagborg, a Ph.D. candidate in electronic arts at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
Wang explains that at a time of concern and debate about the privacy of email and other personal communications, Dewey-Hagborg raises some of what may be the ultimate personal privacy issues. Dewey-Hagborg actually used genetic analysis and three-dimensional printing technology to produce facial sculptures of anonymous strangers. She collected their DNA from chewing gum, cigarette butts, strands of hair and other items that people have left behind in subways, bathrooms and other public places around New York City.
The Latest Bing News on:
Guarding Our DNA
- Security Guard Caught Having Sex With Corpse in Hospital Morgueon December 2, 2023 at 7:26 pm
The two witnesses said they saw the guard inside the freezer, where he was "sweating profusely," according to court documents.
- Days of Our Lives Spoilers November 27 – December 8on December 1, 2023 at 3:10 am
We have the latest Days of Our Lives spoilers from Monday, November 27, to Friday, December 8. Nicole hopes the results of a DNA test will prove her theory, but dark forces (aka Sloan) are hoping to ...
- Phoenix hospital guard, 46, is charged over rape of elderly woman's CORPSE in morgue after witnesses said they saw man 'sweating profusely on top of gurney with the bag's ...on November 30, 2023 at 11:26 am
Randall Bird, 46, was arrested on Tuesday and fired from the Banner University Medical Center in Phoenix following an investigation that began in October.
- Hospital guard ‘had sex with dead woman’s corpse in morgue freezer’on November 30, 2023 at 11:04 am
Randall Scott Bird is accused of having sex with a 79-year-old deceased woman's body at a hospital morgue in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Hospital security guard 'caught having sex with corpse of 79-year-old woman in morgue'on November 30, 2023 at 4:41 am
Randall Bird, a security guard at an Arizona hospital, has been accused of having sex with the corpse of an elderly woman. After an investigation found his DNA on the woman’s body, was arrested Tuesda ...
- Sick hospital security guard accused of having sex with 79-year-old woman’s corpseon November 29, 2023 at 10:58 pm
A security guard has been arrested after his colleagues allegedly caught him in the act of having sex with the corpse of a 79-year-old woman inside a hospital morgue.
- How DNA Profiling Workson November 27, 2023 at 4:00 pm
The term "DNA," once used only by scientists, has become part of our everyday lexicon. It's almost impossible to not know of DNA profiling, from the court system to genealogy. It's also nearly ...
- Smoking Undermines Human DNA That Would Normally Prevent Canceron November 7, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Without these proteins, tumors are more likely to occur. “Our study showed that smoking is associated with changes to DNA that disrupt the formation of tumor suppressors,” said Adler ...
- Top 8 Best DNA Test Kits in 2023on October 31, 2023 at 5:00 pm
We spent countless hours researching and testing ten DNA tests to identify the best options for consumers. Our goal was to find tests that provided accurate results, protected privacy, and offered ...
- The Next-Generation in Data Storage? Our DNAon June 8, 2016 at 6:16 am
One of the most recognizable "buzzwords" in science is DNA. It's everywhere biologically and socially: It's in our conversations and in our contemplations. It makes us who we are and, thanks to ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Guarding Our DNA
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Guarding Our DNA” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Personal Information Protectionon December 3, 2023 at 3:22 pm
The Tasmanian Government and its service providers value the privacy of every individual's personal information. We are committed to protecting the information we collect and use by compliance with ...
- Worried about the privacy of your personal information? You should be.on December 2, 2023 at 5:00 am
Tom Kemp is a Silicon Valley-based tech entrepreneur and the author of “Containing Big Tech: How to Protect Our Civil Rights, Economy, and Democracy.” Meghan Land is the executive director of Privacy ...
- ‘Your Personal Info On Your iPhone Isn’t Safe’ Until You Change These Privacy Settings According To A Tech Experton December 1, 2023 at 3:30 am
It’s incredibly important to take advantage of iPhone privacy settings. These privacy settings exist for a good reason: if your phone is compromised and your data is stolen, a whole lot of personal ...
- Federal use of personal data extraction tools raises 'grave concerns' for public servants, expertson November 30, 2023 at 1:00 am
Tools capable of extracting personal data from phones being used by 13 federal departments, documents show But contracts obtained through access to information legislation and shared with Radio-Canada ...
- Australian privacy watchdog refuses to investigate employer that allegedly accessed worker’s personal emailson November 29, 2023 at 12:04 pm
Legal expert says court ruling in case where information accessed on Mecrus work laptop confirms ‘Australians still don’t have a right to privacy’ ...
- Tools capable of extracting personal data from phones being used by 13 federal departments, documents showon November 29, 2023 at 1:00 am
Tools capable of extracting personal data from phones or computers are being used by 13 federal departments and agencies, according to contracts obtained under access to information legislation and ...
- How to remove your personal data from Googleon November 28, 2023 at 8:02 pm
If you’re a public figure, a business, or someone who owns a personal brand, it’s important to have an online presence. However, you might find it unsettling to have your personal information like ...
- Information and Privacy Commissioner highlights artificial intelligence in first annual reporton November 28, 2023 at 2:51 pm
Alberta’s Information and Privacy Commissioner had her first annual report — for 2022-23 — tabled in the Legislature by the Speaker on Tuesday. Diane McLeod began her five-year term as commissioner on ...
- Digital Personal Data Privacy Act 2023: Know how it can affect the BFSI sectoron November 26, 2023 at 11:27 pm
A strong impact is expected on the BFSI sector. Know the key considerations and how an effective privacy program can be created.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”personal privacy” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]