With modern communication aids, users of electric powered wheelchairs can operate a PC and cellphone without human assistance. A new module is set to transform electric powered wheelchairs into communication hubs.
Writing text messages and e-mails, surfing the web, making phone calls – all these things can be a real challenge for people with disabilities. And that applies all the more to wheelchair users with impaired motor skills in their hands and to severely disabled people, who are dependent on communication aids to be able to operate electronic devices without difficulty. And a new communication aid is just what researchers from the Advanced System Technology (AST) branch of the Fraunhofer Institute for Optronics, System Technologies and Image Exploitation IOSB have developed at the request of its longstanding industrial partner, the medical technology manufacturer Otto Bock Mobility Solutions GmbH.
The new aid is an add-on module that expands the functionality of electric powered wheelchairs by connecting up the existing wheelchair control system (e.g. joystick, chin control) to a cellphone, PC, TV, games console, etc. via Bluetooth. The interface for data transmission is the wheelchair’s CAN bus, where all wheelchair data converges. “The module allows users to carry out all mouse functions – on their notebook or smartphone, say – and thereby check their e-mails, surf the web, and send an SOS in the event of an emergency. All USB-enabled devices are supported,” says Prof. Dr. Andreas Wenzel, group manager for embedded systems at the AST branch in Ilmenau.
Smartphone app calculates wheelchair range
The module is compatible with many electric powered wheelchairs from the Otto Bock range. Box-shaped and compact, its dimensions of 85 x 65 x 32 millimeters mean that it can be discreetly attached to the wheelchair. The box comprises both the hardware in the form of a printed circuit board and the software, and it has two Bluetooth interfaces. Wenzel describes the advantage of the second Bluetooth interface as follows: “The system not only enables interaction with electronic devices, it can also be used to transfer wheelchair data – such as battery capacity, motor currents, and errors in the drive system, for example – to a smartphone.” A specially developed smartphone app reads and processes the data.
“When users of electric powered wheelchairs are considering going on an excursion, they are often uncertain about how long the battery will last, because the energy consumed by the wheelchair depends on the temperatures outside and the hilliness of the terrain. A wheelchair uses up more power on steep hills than on flat roads. This uncertainty often means wheelchair users choose to stay in rather than venture out,” explains Wenzel. The Android app carries out a precise range projection. The app determines the current location , compares it against the battery capacity, and calculates if there is enough energy left to bring the wheelchair back to the home point. It obtains the requisite data from the Internet. Wheelchair users are informed how much further they can safely travel via their cellphones. When the capacity begins to run low, a warning appears on the smartphone display telling them that there is only enough power left for another ten kilometers. “This gives users certainty and peace of mind,” says Andreas Biederstädt, head of development for e-mobility and drive technology at Otto Bock. “The cellphone can be easily fitted to the wheelchair. Moreover, this enables us to do away with expensive industrial displays.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Airbus and BMW Group launch €30,000 quantum computing challenge on mobilityon December 7, 2023 at 11:00 pm
Airbus and BMW Group team up for quantum computing challenge in future mobility, aimed at leveraging quantum computing to solve challenges.
- WNEVC to power up global e-mobilityon December 7, 2023 at 9:43 pm
He also noted the congress helps promote NEV development in Hainan province, where around 50 percent of new cars sold are NEVs currently. Hainan is aiming to become China's first province to cease the ...
- From Wheelchair to Tricycle! IIT Madras Startup NeoMotion Revolutionises Mobility for the Disabledon December 7, 2023 at 9:09 pm
An innovative initiative from IIT Madras startup NeoMotion is transforming lives by converting wheelchairs into electric-powered tricycles. This ingenious solution provides temporary assisted mobility ...
- 10 Best Electric Wheelchair Rampson December 6, 2023 at 4:00 pm
【Specifications for Wheelchair Ramp】1" (H) x 5.9" (L) x 35.4" (W) / 2.5cm (H) x 15cm (L) x 90cm (W). This rubber threshold ramp enables an easy transition for doorways and ensures safe and ...
- Aspire Coaching Further Enhances it's Golf Fitness Program for Improved Distance, Power, Mobility and Reduced Pain for Golferson December 3, 2023 at 4:13 pm
Aspire Coaching, a prominent leader in sports performance relaunches its science based golf fitness program under the expert leadership of Mr. Dan Remon, recognized as Thailand's first Titleist ...
- Elderly man zooms across roundabout on his mobility scooteron November 29, 2023 at 10:20 am
An elderly man was seen driving his mobility scooter on a roundabout in the UK. More vehicles - including a minibus - are then seen on the roundabout. “I was just driving to the local supermarket, and ...
- Electric Wheelchair Market to Reach $16.27 Billion by 2030 | Published by Coherent Market Insightson November 27, 2023 at 3:21 am
Electric wheelchairs are power-operated vehicles intended to help people with limited mobility enhance independence and accessibility. They come equipped with varied features such as tilt, recline and ...
- Wheelchair users face frustrations in the air: "Terrible experiences"on November 24, 2023 at 8:09 am
One frequent flier who uses a wheelchair said airlines damage his $40,000 motorized device roughly half the time he travels.
- Wheelchair users face frustrations in the air: "I've had so many terrible experiences"on November 24, 2023 at 8:09 am
He estimates that his customized, powered wheelchair, which costs $40,000, is damaged about half the times he flies. "It's the part that I dread the most out of anything," Lee told CBS MoneyWatch.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”powered wheelchairs” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Coronation Street spoilers: Dying Paul’s dismay as his wheelchair breaks down in publicon December 7, 2023 at 1:00 pm
Paul Foreman (Peter Ash) is set to face upset in upcoming Coronation Street scenes when his wheelchair breaks down in public. Paul was diagnosed with motor neurone disease earlier this year, and as ...
- Sports Personality of the Year 2023: Terry Dennis is Unsung Hero regional winner for the Southon December 7, 2023 at 1:15 am
Terry Dennis founded wheelchair basketball club Dorset Demons to create more opportunities for disabled people to participate in sport in Dorset.
- City buys a beach wheelchairon December 6, 2023 at 6:34 pm
The city has purchased a floating beach wheelchair as part of upgrades being made to Pointe des Chenes Day Park, members of the parks and recreation advisory committee learned this week.
- CICT and CMF donate US$ 41,600 to SLTA’s wheelchair tennison December 4, 2023 at 4:31 pm
Colombo International Container Terminals (CICT) and the China Merchants Foundation (CMF) donated US$ 41,600 (approximately Rs 13.7 million at current rates of exchange) to the wheelchair tennis ...
- Wheelchair provision has impacted the physical health of 17 percent of young wheelchair userson December 4, 2023 at 3:00 am
A new report was created to identify the value of providing the right wheelchair that meets the needs of the recipient and the NHS.
- Turkish wheelchair tennis team inspires with call to limelighton December 4, 2023 at 1:26 am
The Turkish wheelchair tennis national team has called on disabled people to step into the limelight rather than confining themselves at home.
- Wheelchair Alliance reveals annual £15.2k benefits of appropriate adult wheelchair provisionon December 3, 2023 at 11:52 pm
A new report commissioned by the Wheelchair Alliance and funded by the Motability Foundation has revealed that the annual benefits of appropriate wheelchair provision for working-age adults are ...
- 5 best lightweight wheelchairs for elderly to ease mobilityon December 2, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Speaking about the specs of this wheelchair, it weighs only 11.4 kg. Hand brakes that lock are essential for uneven, sloping, and inclining terrain. They enable the companion to lock the brakes to ...
- Wheelchair tennis boosted with Rs. 13.7 million from CICT and CMFon December 2, 2023 at 11:38 am
Colombo International Container Terminals (CICT) and the China Merchants Foundation (CMF) donated approximately Rs 13.7 million to the wheel chair tennis programme of the Sri Lanka Tennis Association ...
- CICT and CMF donate US$ 41,600 to SLTA’s Wheelchair Tennis programmeon November 30, 2023 at 4:05 pm
Colombo International Container Terminals (CICT) and the China Merchants Foundation (CMF) donated US$ 41,600 (approximately Rs 13.7 million at current rates ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”enabled wheelchairs” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]