SAN FRANCISCO — Here is how the venture capital game used to be played around here:
A friend calls a friend who knows a guy. A meeting is taken. Wine is drunk (at, say, Madera lounge in Menlo Park). A business plan? Sure, whatever. But how does it feel?
This is decidedly not how Google, that apotheosis of our data-driven economy, wants to approach the high-stakes business of investing in the next, well, Google. Unlike venture capitalists of old, the company’s rising V.C. arm focuses not on the art of the deal, but on the science of the deal. First, data is collected, collated, analyzed. Only then does the money start to flow.
Google Ventures and its take on investing represent a new formula for the venture capital business, and skeptics say it will never capture the chemistry — or, perhaps, the magic — of Silicon Valley. Would computer algorithms have bankrolled David Packard or Steve Jobs? Foreseen the folly of Pets.com?
The data provides one answer to those questions, at least for now: Since its founding in 2009, Google Ventures has stood out in an industry that, for all its star power, has been dealing its investors a bad hand. In recent years, an investor would have done better with a ho-hum mutual fund that tracks the stock market than with some splashy V.C. fund. Venture capital funds posted an annual average return of 6.9 percent from 2002 to 2012, trailing major stock indexes, according to Cambridge Associates.
Google Ventures, like all venture funds, does not publicly reveal returns. But its partners can count on one hand the number of its 170 investments that have failed, though it is too early to know how many will succeed, and it has missed investing in some superstar companies. Its successes include companies that have gone public, like HomeAway for vacation rentals and Silver Spring Networks for smart grid software, and start-ups sold to Google, Yahoo, Facebook and Twitter.
Whether Big Data — that label for technology and decision-making that is upending so many businesses — can truly transform the industry that helped spawn it remains to be seen. Few deny that crunching data is increasingly important. But some insist that those old intangibles, like instinct and luck, are still paramount.
“V.C.’s, just like all of our portfolio companies, need to be analytically intuitive in the modern era of data analytics,” said Matt McIlwain, managing director of Madrona Venture Group, which has invested in companies like Amazon.com and Redfin, the real estate site. “But the intuition part is ultimately the biggest factor. And even with all that, a little good luck goes a long way.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Milkbasket’s Anant Goel ventures into F&V with Sorted, raises in excess of $5 mn in the ongoing seed roundon March 21, 2023 at 8:37 pm
Sorted will be deploying the funds to create proprietary technology, hire talent, and set up regional and national supply chains for fruits and vegetables, said Goel.
- How Startups Can Navigate Uncertainty, AI and Investing in 2023on March 21, 2023 at 12:30 pm
This article discusses how entrepreneurs can best navigate operations, hiring and fundraising this year. Through every turn of the century, there was a rotation of what the "It" industry was. The ...
- Former Google China Chief Joins ChatGPT Mania With New AI Ventureon March 21, 2023 at 4:46 am
Lee dubbed the startup Project AI 2.0 in a post on his WeChat account on Sunday. It will be the seventh company incubated by his Beijing-based early-stage venture capital firm Sinovation Ventures.
- What Is Elon Musk Building?on March 21, 2023 at 3:11 am
He promised a “digital town square” when he bought Twitter. He has instead promoted right-wing conspiracy theories about Covid-19, Democrats—and even Twitter itself. Welcome to the libertarian ...
- Biotech AI startup Unlearn adds $15 mln and OpenAI CTO to boardon March 21, 2023 at 2:12 am
Unlearn.AI, which has built a machine learning platform that creates "digital twin" profiles of patients in clinical trials, has raised $15 million to expand partnerships and accelerate regulatory ...
- Dream Games opens London office after Royal Match successon March 20, 2023 at 6:00 am
Dream Games, the maker of the hit mobile game Royal Match, has its first international office in London to support a global expansion.
- Kai-Fu Lee founds new AI startup to build ChatGPT-like apps for Chinaon March 20, 2023 at 3:43 am
Kai-Fu Lee, former president of Google China and now CEO of Sinovation Ventures, announced on Monday that he’s building a new AI company.
- Former head of Google China joins ChatGPT frenzy by starting own ventureon March 20, 2023 at 2:30 am
Lee Kai-fu, a prominent Chinese venture capitalist and former president of Google China, is the latest high-profile tech executive to jump on the ChatGPT bandwagon, with plans to establish an ...
- Mumbai-based ice cream brand NOTO raises USD 2 mn in pre-series A led by White Whale Ventures and Rainmatteron March 16, 2023 at 2:17 am
The brand operates on a hyper-local dark store model, which allows them to cater to impulse demand within 30–40 minutes. At present, the brand caters to consumers' demands from its 85 dark stores and ...
- ChatGPT-Like Features Are Coming to Google Docs and Gmailon March 15, 2023 at 9:28 am
Google is introducing its own ChatGPT-like capabilities to its docs and mail platforms, as the generative AI race intensifies.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Google Ventures” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
Venture capital game
- CCP Games secures $40M funding for upcoming Web3 gameon March 21, 2023 at 2:41 pm
We're excited to announce that we have secured $40M financing, led by @a16z, to create a new AAA game within the EVE Universe utilizing blockchain technology. The financing was spearheaded by venture ...
- CCP Games raises $40M for new triple-A Web3 game in the Eve universeon March 21, 2023 at 2:00 pm
CCP Games has raised $40 million in funding to make a new triple-A blockchain game set in the Eve Online universe.
- EVE Online studio CCP Games is making a blockchain gameon March 21, 2023 at 10:29 am
A" game will be separate from EVE Online but set in the EVE universe. EVE Online studio CCP Games has announced that it is working on a new triple-A game set in the EVE universe, and I am very sorry ...
- Andreessen Horowitz Leads $40 Million Funding Round for Blockchain-Based Multiplayer Gameon March 21, 2023 at 9:58 am
Developer CCP Games will incorporate the new title into its Eve Online Universe Tech-focused venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz is leading a seed round to back development of a new interactive ...
- A 1980s poker game launched Silicon Valley Bank — and it ended 42 years later with a very bad handon March 20, 2023 at 5:36 pm
The fallout has raised major questions about how the blunders of a single medium-sized bank could unleash a torrent of panic in a region so accustomed to risk.
- Creators Behind Web3 Game Aavegotchi Raise $30M in Multiyear Token Saleon March 20, 2023 at 2:09 pm
Pixelcraft Studios, the creators behind the popular metaverse game Aavegotchi, said Monday it raised $30 million in a multiyear token sale.The ...
- Venture out, but leave wintering wildlife alone, NDGF adviseson March 20, 2023 at 7:26 am
"They're pretty much hunkering down in good winter cover that's close to food," says Levi Jacobson, wildlife resource management supervisor wit the North Dakota Game and Fish Department.
- Skin In The Venture Capital Gameon March 16, 2023 at 4:15 am
Venture capital (VC) is a complicated business with probability theory at its heart. Basically, you are swinging at the fences with a wide dispersion of potential outcomes and returns, just like in ...
- Meyers Says SVB Collapse Is Just the Latest Mystery in 'A Super Boring Game of Clue': 'Of F–ing Course It Was Trump' (Video)on March 14, 2023 at 7:19 am
The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank rocked the financial market on Friday, with many marveling at how quickly it seemed to happen. But Seth Meyers wasn't at all surprised it happened, nor was he ...
- Web3 Game Publisher Jungle Raises $6 Million for Mobile NFT Shooteron March 13, 2023 at 7:01 am
Jungle has attracted investments from prominent VC firms including Bitkraft Ventures, Framework Ventures, and Delphi Digital.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Venture capital game
[google_news title=”” keyword=”fix the internet” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]