On TV and the Lecture Circuit, Bill Nye Aims to Change the World
As the car pulled into the parking lot of a Starbucks, William Sanford Nye unknotted his trademark bow tie and slipped it off.
“This might buy us a couple of minutes,” he said.
Roughly two minutes later, before his drink was ready, he was recognized anyway. Two awed young women approached to ask if he was really Bill Nye the Science Guy. Like more than a dozen other college students who would approach him over the next several hours, they asked if they could take a picture with him. He smiled, took a proffered iPhone, scooched the students in and, in a practiced gesture, stretched out his arm to take a shot of the three of them that you just knew was totally going on Facebook.
Mr. Nye had come to talk to them, and a few thousand of their friends, at Iowa State University. If he were a politician, college students would be his base. Instead, he is something more: a figure from their early days in front of the family TV, a beloved teacher and, more and more these days, a warrior for science. They, in turn, are his fans, his students and his army.
They have gone from watching him explain magnetism and electricity to defending the scientific evidence for climate change, the age of the earth and other issues they have seen polemicized for religious, political and even economic reasons.
He takes on those who would demand that the public schools teach alternative theories of evolution and the origins of the earth — most famously, in a video clip from the site BigThink.com that has been viewed some five million times. In it, he flatly tells adult viewers that “if you want to deny evolution and live in your world — in your world that’s completely inconsistent with everything we observe in the universe — that’s fine. But don’t make your kids do it, because we need them. We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for the future.”
In any given week, you’re likely to see Mr. Nye, 57, somewhere on television, calmly countering the arguments made by people like Marc Morano, the former Republican Senate staff member whose industry-funded organization, climatedepot.com, disputes the increasingly well-understood connection between rising levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide and warming. In an exchange several months ago on “Piers Morgan Tonight” on CNN, Mr. Morano denied that warming is occurring, and scoffed that Mr. Nye’s arguments were “the level of your daily horoscope.”
Mr. Nye quietly rebutted his opponent with the gravity of scientific consensus. “This will be the hottest two decades in recorded history,” he said. “I’ve got to disagree with you.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Zac Efron’s fans suspect he got plastic surgery as his face looks ‘totally different’ in Bill Nye’s Earth Day specialon April 23, 2021 at 1:48 pm
ZAC Efron’s fans are suspecting he may have gotten plastic surgery as his face looked “totally different” in Bill Nye’s Earth Day special. The actor teamed up with other ...
- Justin Bieber, Zac Efron & More Star In Bill Nye’s ‘Earth Day! The Musical’on April 23, 2021 at 6:27 am
Bill Nye the Science Guy is bringing out all the stars to help save the planet. This week, the popular science educator teamed up with Facebook Watch for a new video called “Earth Day!
- Porsche Teams Up With Bill Nye To Teach You How The Taycan Workson April 23, 2021 at 5:59 am
Using his trademark real-world examples and with an animated whiteboard, Bill Nye has partnered with Porsche to talk us through the Taycan’s many features in a series of short, concise, ...
- UGA University Union hosts Bill Nye the Science Guy for Earth Day Q&Aon April 23, 2021 at 5:00 am
University of Georgia's University Union hosted a Zoom on Thursday, April 22, with Bill Nye the Science Guy in partnership with the Office of Sustainability and UGA Student Government Association.
- VIDEO: Broadway Unites to Celebrate Earth Day with Bill Nye the Science Guyon April 22, 2021 at 2:29 pm
Today is Earth Day and Bill Nye The Science Guy has joined forces with celebrities from Hollywood, music, and Broadway to spread the word and help protect the planet from climate change. Watch ...
- Justin Bieber and Bill Nye team up for Earth Day The Musical (sort of)on April 22, 2021 at 11:46 am
When you think of Earth Day, science communicator Bill Nye seems like a natural fit. But Justin Bieber? The pop singer teamed up with Nye for a Facebook Watch exclusive video for Earth Day 2021 that's ...
- Al Roker and Bill Nye's budding friendship blossoms on Earth Dayon April 22, 2021 at 9:18 am
Al Roker and his new best friend are celebrating Earth Day in style. The budding bromance between Al and Bill Nye the Science Guy was on full display on TODAY Thursday as they promoted environmental ...
- Al Roker and Bill Nye pitch in with Great Global Cleanup for Earth Dayon April 22, 2021 at 5:01 am
Al is joined by Bill Nye the Science Guy, who has tips on how to plant trees. Like us on Facebook to see similar stories Please give an overall site rating: ...
- Bill Nye Explains the Science of the Electric Porsche Taycanon April 21, 2021 at 7:53 am
When Porsche gave two electric Taycan cars to Bill and Ted stars Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter, they basically just told them to have fun. In the hands of TV science guru Bill Nye, things are a bit ...
- Justin Bieber And Jack Harlow Are Joining Bill Nye The Science Guy For An Earth Day Musicalon April 20, 2021 at 4:55 pm
Earth Day is right around the corner and as the climate change crisis persists, it’s more important than ever to raise awareness about environmentalism. That’s why iconic TV host Bill Nye The Science ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Science fact or fiction: Separating rheumatoid arthritis myths from factson April 20, 2021 at 3:28 am
Understanding the symptoms and treatments of rheumatoid arthritis is a key part of managing the condition. A person can test their knowledge with this quiz.
- 20 Weird Science Facts That You Might Just Need One Dayon April 13, 2021 at 5:40 pm
Life is full of little surprises, and sometimes you just never know when it will come in handy to know what key a housefly hums in, or how long it would take you to drive to space. As firm ...
- 20 Weird Science Facts That You Might Just Need One Dayon April 13, 2021 at 3:23 pm
This doesn't hurt a bit, despite the fact that it has been found that neutrinos ... You could write for WhatCulture Science! Click here to find out how you could get paid to write about what ...
- New space station tech recycles science fiction into science facton April 2, 2021 at 1:54 pm
In the more recent science fiction series The Expanse spaceships have 'recyclers'. These more realistic machines melt down the polymers used in everything from clothing, dishes and personal items ...
- Science fact & fiction: Three New Mexico authors see parallels between the genre they write and the current world situationon March 28, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Science fiction has in the past and continues to become science fact. Snodgrass fears that a slow reaction to coronavirus will mean a higher death rate from the disease than otherwise would have ...
- Video: Science fact inspires science fiction through Covid-19 pandemic comicon March 18, 2021 at 6:34 am
Planet Divoc-91 is a science fiction comic inspired by the Covid-19 pandemic. The story is about an epidemic in outer space. The comic is a collaboration between young adults, comic artists and ...
- ASAP Science facts that are actually headache inducingon February 26, 2021 at 12:51 am
Yes, we're featuring ASAP Science videos considerably often ... Even if it was a bit early in the morning for the sperm and octopus facts. Maybe hold off until you've eaten your breakfast.
- Separating Science Fact From Science Hype: How Far off Is the Singularity?on August 17, 2020 at 9:13 pm
While currently confined to science fiction, the singularity no longer ... For a long time I thought we were — in fact, I wrote two sci-fi graphic novels about our imminent demise — but ...
- Science Fiction or Science Fact?on August 14, 2020 at 3:05 pm
SCIENCE FACT. Improved telescopes and detectors have led to the detection of dozens of new planetary systems within the past decade, including several systems containing multiple planets. More than 50 ...
- Beto O’Rourke: Texas COVID-19 surge is due to ‘defiance of science, facts, truth’on June 24, 2020 at 6:22 pm
Beto O’Rourke says Texas governor reopened too early: “He reopened…for political purposes, and showing defiance of science, and facts, and the truth. And what that has led to is the crisis ...