Scientists have discovered a new enzyme that could prove an important step in the quest to turn waste (such as paper, scrap wood and straw) into liquid fuel.
To do this they turned to the destructive power of tiny marine wood-borers called ‘gribble’, which have been known to destroy seaside piers.
- Robust enzyme discovery that could help lead to sustainable biofuels
- Enzyme to create liquid fuel from wood could be produced in the same way that enzymes for biological washing detergents are made
- First 3D image of aquatic animal enzyme provides previously undiscovered picture of how it works
Using advanced biochemical analysis and X-ray imaging techniques, researchers from the University of York, University of Portsmouth and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory in the USA have determined the structure and function of a key enzyme used by gribble to break down wood. The findings, published in PNAS, will help the researchers to reproduce the enzymes effects on an industrial scale in a bid to create sustainable liquid biofuels.
To create liquid fuel from woody biomass, such as wood and straw, the polysaccharides (sugar polymers) that make up the bulk of these materials have to be broken down into simple sugars. These are then fermented to produce liquid biofuels. This is a difficult process and making biofuels in this way is currently too expensive.
To find more effective and cheaper ways of converting wood to liquid fuel, scientists are studying organisms that can break down wood in hope of developing industrial processes to do the same.
Gribble are of interest as they are voracious consumers of wood and have all the enzymes needed for its digestion. The enzymes attach to a long chain of complex sugars and chop off small soluble molecules that can be easily digested or fermented. The researchers identified a cellulase (an enzyme that converts cellulose into glucose) from gribble that has some unusual properties and used the latest imaging technology to understand more about it.
The Latest Bing News on:
Waste into biofuel
- University of Findlay showcasing how they are converting manure and other waste into energyon May 26, 2023 at 3:11 pm
Agriculture is Ohio's biggest industry, adding $124 billion to the state's economy every year. As a result, several teachers in Ohio are beginning to integrate agribusiness into their lesson plans.
- Construction to begin on $70M Louisiana plant that will convert sugar cane into fuel pelletson May 25, 2023 at 3:56 pm
Finding a use for bagasse, the waste product left after sugarcane is crushed, is becoming more of an issue in south Louisiana. More sugarcane is being grown, and fewer sugar mills are operating, so ...
- Construction to begin on Louisiana plant that will turn bagasse into fuel pelletson May 25, 2023 at 9:55 am
New construction is set to begin next month on a $70 million renewable fuel plant in southwest Louisiana that will convert sugar cane bagasse into fuel pellets. The facility was set to begin ...
- Delta Biofuel announces $100-MM final investment decision for renewable fuel facility in Jeaneretteon May 25, 2023 at 7:30 am
Delta Biofuel has announced a $100-MM final investment decision for the construction and start up of a full-scale renewable fuel production facility in Iberia Parish that will convert sugarcane waste ...
- Construction set to begin on Jeanerette plant that will turn bagasse into fuel pellets, will hire 126on May 24, 2023 at 12:45 pm
Construction is set to begin in a month on a $100 million renewable fuel plant in Jeanerette that will convert sugar cane bagasse into fuel pellets.
- Delta Biofuel moving ahead with $100M sugarcane-based fuel production facilityon May 24, 2023 at 12:36 pm
Delta Biofuel is officially building a $100 million full-scale renewable fuel production facility in Iberia Parish, after announcing its final investment decision today.
- Delta Biofuel to Build $100M Renewable Fuel Facility in Jeaneretteon May 24, 2023 at 8:22 am
A new renewable fuel production facility in Iberia Parish will convert sugarcane waste into feedstock for low-emissions energy generation. (Getty Images)JEANERETTE, La. – From Louisiana Economic ...
- Korean Researchers Convert Agricultural Waste into Aviation Biofuelon May 18, 2023 at 5:51 pm
This acid serves as an intermediate material for aviation biofuel production. Levulinic acid is the final oxidized form derived from sugar components found in biomass. It serves as a suitable ...
- BP targets farms and feedstock as biofuel race gathers paceon May 17, 2023 at 12:09 pm
BP is considering buying stakes in biofuel feedstock producers and investing directly in farming ventures to secure supplies as the global race for the low-carbon fuel gathers pace, a senior executive ...
- Asean bets on biofuel, but feedstock crunch could void the gambleon May 14, 2023 at 8:16 pm
Given its rich agriculture resources, biofuel will be vital for the region's net-zero plans. Solving the feedstock crunch is necessary to meet market demands, which requires careful planning and a ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Waste into biofuel
[google_news title=”” keyword=”waste into biofuel” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Kenya Airways Operates Its Most Sustainable Boeing 787 Flight Yeton May 27, 2023 at 3:00 am
O n May 25, Kenya's national carrier Kenya Airways (KQ) operated possibly the most sustainable commercial long-haul flight between Africa and Europe as part of The Sustainable Flight Challenge (TSFC) ...
- Factbox: Asia's sustainable aviation fuel projects and agreementson May 26, 2023 at 3:36 am
Qantas Group (QAN.AX) launched the Sustainable Aviation Fuel Coalition (SAF Coalition ... Qantas and Airbus SE (AIR.PA) will jointly invest A$2 million ($1.34 million) in a biofuel refinery being set ...
- ‘Biodiesel plays a key role in the decarbonization of transport’on May 25, 2023 at 2:10 pm
The war in Ukraine has emphasized the urgency in reducing the EU’s dependence on fossil fuels. That’s where sustainable biofuels from crops, wastes and residues come into the picture. POLITICO Studio ...
- Par Hawaii and Pono Pacific partner to explore sustainable aviation fuel productionon May 24, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Sustainable aviation fuel] made from biofuels can deliver the performance of petroleum-based jet fuel but with a fraction of its carbon footprint,” Chris Bennett, vice president of sustainable energy ...
- Is corn ethanol really sustainable? Researchers analyze the true cost of biofuel productionon May 24, 2023 at 10:55 am
Whenever you fill up your gas tank, a portion of that fuel, usually around 10%, comes from corn ethanol—the most abundant biofuel produced by the United States. The industry for corn ethanol and other ...
- Researcher searching for 'holy grail' of sustainable bioenergyon May 19, 2023 at 9:45 am
Searches for sustainable bioenergy and climate change solutions may be one in the same, according to a West Virginia University researcher.
- Global Sustainable Aviation Fuel (Biofuel, Hydrogen, Power to Liquid) Markets, Trends, Opportunities, and Forecasts, 2028Fon May 18, 2023 at 6:46 pm
DUBLIN, May 18, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- The "Sustainable Aviation Fuel Market - Global Industry Size, Share, Trends, Opportunity, and Forecast, 2018-2028F Segmented By Fuel Type (Biofuel, Hydrogen ...
- Research finds sustainable aviation fuel is not a silver bullet for the industry's colossal climate woeson May 17, 2023 at 10:40 am
The global airline industry is fast recovering from the unprecedented pause to flying imposed by COVID-19. In some parts of the world, such as the Middle East, airlines are even expanding rapidly—well ...
- There’s a buzz about ‘sustainable’ fuels – but they cannot solve aviation’s colossal climate woeson May 16, 2023 at 9:04 pm
Even if the industry could make the shift, there’s not enough land or renewable energy potential on Earth to produce all the sustainable fuels airlines need.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”sustainable biofuels” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]