Scientists are reporting development and successful lab tests on the first potential drug to pack a lethal one-two punch against melanoma skin cancer cells.
Hit number one destroys cells in the main tumor, and the second hit blocks the spread of the cancer to other sites in the body, according to their report in the journal ACS Chemical Biology.
Nathan Luedtke and colleagues explain that the spread of melanoma and other forms of cancer beyond the original location — a process called metastasis — makes cancer such a serious disease. Photodynamic therapy (PDT), which involves administering a drug that kills cancer cells when exposed to light, already is available. But PDT works only on the main tumor and has other drawbacks. Luedtke’s team set out to find an improved approach to PDT.
The scientists describe successful tests in laboratory mice of one compound they synthesized that not only killed melanoma cells, but also stopped them from metastasizing by blocking a key signal inside the tumor cells. The compound “provides the first example of a preclinical candidate possessing both of these properties,” the scientists state.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Stories of Loss and Survival with Melanomaon April 30, 2021 at 9:12 am
My story of loss began in August 2004 when my wife was diagnosed with melanoma. An unnoticed spot on her lower back scabbed over and bled. A biopsy in the office came back as testing positive as ...
- Dear Dr. Roach: Agent Orange linked to some cancers, but not melanomaon April 29, 2021 at 3:00 am
Your recent column on melanoma piqued my interest. My husband was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam in 1968. He had a melanoma on his neck removed ...
- AHN building new melanoma, skin cancer centeron April 28, 2021 at 9:15 pm
Jessica Rogowicz grew up playing outside and spending lots of time in the sun including yearly beach vacations in Ocean City, Md.
- Olatec Therapeutics Announces Results Showing Dapansutrile Reduces Tumor Growth in a Mouse Model of Melanomaon April 28, 2021 at 11:48 am
Olatec Therapeutics LLC (Olatec) today announced the first publication from its preclinical studies with dapansutrile in selected cancer models.
- Dr. Davies on Managing Melanoma During the COVID-19 Pandemicon April 28, 2021 at 10:25 am
Davies, MD, PhD, discusses the management of patients with melanoma during the COVID-19 pandemic. Michael A. Davies, MD, PhD, the Anne and John Mendelsohn Chair in Cancer Research; professor and chair ...
- Alkermes commences trial of nemvaleukin monotherapy for melanomaon April 28, 2021 at 9:33 am
Alkermes has initiated a global Phase II ARTISTRY-6 trial of its lead immuno-oncology candidate nemvaleukin alfa in melanoma patients who have previously received anti-PD- (L)1 therapy. Nemvaleukin is ...
- Iovance Biotherapeutics to Present Clinical Data for Lifileucel in Advanced Melanoma at ASCO ...on April 28, 2021 at 7:52 am
Initial Data for Lifileucel in Combination with Pembrolizumab in Immune Checkpoint Inhibitor Naïve Advanced Melanoma Cohort 1A in IOV-COM-202 Clinical Study SAN CARLOS, Calif., April 28, 2021 (GLOBE ...
- Academic Alliance in Dermatology talks Melanoma Awareness Monthon April 28, 2021 at 6:11 am
Melanoma Awareness Month kicks off in May. At Academic Alliance in Dermatology, we firmly believe that no lives should ever be lost to malignant melanoma. Our staff’s mission is clear: eliminate ...
- National Melanoma Hunt launched to find the 14,944 melanomas missed during the COVID pandemicon April 28, 2021 at 6:00 am
The Melanoma Research Foundation, the largest independent organization devoted to melanoma in the US, today launches a major public awareness campaign to find the ...
- Melanoma Research Alliance Announces $8.1 million in Research Awardson April 27, 2021 at 7:30 am
The Melanoma Research Alliance, the largest non-profit funder of melanoma research, is proud to announce $8.1 million in funding for 34 new research a ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Highly efficient photodynamic-immunotherapy by combining AIEgen with Poly(I:C)on April 30, 2021 at 8:27 am
Immunotherapy is a type of anti-tumor treatment and has shown great clinical success against a wide variety of malignancies in recent years. Poly(I : C), a TLR3 agonist, is the most potent type I ...
- Strategies to improve photodynamic therapy efficacy by relieving the tumor hypoxia environmenton April 29, 2021 at 8:24 pm
In this review, we summarize the latest progress in the development of strategies to relieve tumor hypoxia for improved PDT efficacy, from the design of novel nonreactive oxygen carriers to reactive ...
- UI researchers investigating photosensitizing drug to treat soft tissue sarcomason April 27, 2021 at 10:09 pm
Researchers at the University of Iowa are investigating the potential of using photodynamic therapy, a type of cancer treatment that uses high-frequency light and photosensitizing agents, to combat ...
- Insights on the Actinic Keratosis Treatment Global Market to 2026 - Featuring 3M, Alma Lasers and Almirall Among Otherson April 27, 2021 at 8:30 am
The "Global Actinic Keratosis Treatment Market 2020-2026" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
- Factors affecting resolution of subretinal fluid after selective retina therapy for central serous chorioretinopathyon April 26, 2021 at 3:52 pm
The purpose of this study was to investigate the factors of clinical outcome of selective retina therapy (SRT) for central serous chorioretinopathy (CSC). This retrospective study included 77 eyes of ...
- Lumeda Selected as one of the 25 Technology Companies to Watch in the Greater Hartford Areaon April 23, 2021 at 6:53 am
ROCKY HILL, Conn., April 23, 2021 /PRNewswire-PRWeb/ -- Lumeda Inc., a medical technology company focused on applying Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) as an adjuvant treatment for lung cancer patients, ...
- Mycosis Fungoides Treatment Market Key Insights, Share, Current Trends, key Players and Geographical Overview till 2027on April 21, 2021 at 11:11 pm
The global mycosis fungoides treatment market is set to gain impetus from the increasing recommendation of various treatment options by physicians. It depends on the severity of the disease.This ...
- The Globe and Mailon April 19, 2021 at 8:14 pm
Allergan plc, Beiersdorf AG, Cynosure, Inc., LOreal S.A., PhotoMedex, Inc., Coty Inc., Lumenis Ltd., Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. The global, regional, and other market statistics ...
- The Globe and Mailon April 19, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Photodynamic Therapy market research includes historical and forecast data, demand, application details, price trends, and company shares of the leading Photodynamic Therapy industry by geography.
- Photorejuvenation Devices Market Size Report Strategically Profile the Key Players and Comprehensively Analyze Their Growth Strategies 2020-2028on April 19, 2021 at 3:05 am
Global photorejuvenation devices market was valued at USD 2,100.6 million in 2020 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 6.8% during the forecast period.