Art Everywhere project asks public to vote for their favourite works to display on poster sites across country this summer
Thousands of poster and billboard sites are to be given over to the best of British art for two weeks this summer, so instead of the usual car or ice cream adverts we might see a stunning Constable or Hockney or Hepworth.
Or even slightly more challenging work such as Helen Chadwick’s Piss Flowers, a work enthusiastically nominated on Friday by the artist Bob and Roberta Smith who gave his backing to a project which intends to make the UK the “world’s largest art gallery”.
The plan is called Art Everywhere and will involve 50 of the nation’s favourite artworks being reproduced on at least 15,000 poster sites across the UK. The public will vote for what they want to see from a longlist of 100.
It is the brainchild of Richard Reed, the co-founder of Innocent Drinks, who had the idea when he saw a picture on a poster when walking down Goldhawk Road in London. “It wasn’t titled and it didn’t have a logo and I never knew why it was there but it was a beautiful thing and I would stop for about 30 seconds – it just put some bounce into my step, it brightened my commute to work.”
A light went on in his head and he approached the poster industry, which agreed to donate the sites between 10 and 25 August. Also on board are the Art Fund, the Tate and many artists.
“I’ve been in many projects in my career but I haven’t been involved in something as pure and simple and positive as this,” said Reed.
“Our vision is that this summer we literally want to flood the streets of the UK with the greatest art that this country has ever produced – it has got no agenda beyond that. It is about putting wonderful, beautiful things in as many places as possible to be seen by as many people as possible.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- A Small San Diego Loft Has DIY Art Ideas and Adorable Dogson May 26, 2022 at 6:00 am
Jeff and Tim aren't allowed to paint since they're renting, so to bring warmth and color into a sterile, concrete space, they've incorporated warm and organic textures of leather, wood, vintage rugs, ...
- An addiction counselor transformed a school basement into an art gallery to support studentson May 26, 2022 at 5:39 am
As Colorado's largest statewide, member-supported, multi-media network, Rocky Mountain PBS wants to make sure everyone is seen and heard.
- Fan Art Of Henry Cavill As Wolverine Is Rolling Around The Internet Again, And Now I Kinda Need Him In Another Big Franchiseon May 25, 2022 at 4:50 pm
That’s exactly what some moviegoers are hoping might happen for Superman actor Henry Cavill. Because fan art of Cavill as Wolverine is rolling around the internet again, and now I kinda need him in ...
- Art Stoppingon May 25, 2022 at 10:43 am
The title of the exhibition, High Visibility (Blaze Orange), comes from the bold color often used for clay pigeon shooting targets, employed because of their vivid contrast with the blue sky; those ...
- A fine line: Why low-commitment tattoos are everywhereon May 25, 2022 at 9:45 am
Compared to those who treat their body as a canvas for large-scale art, Cohn views her tattoos as more unassuming accessories. “I feel like people who have big tattoos, very evident tattoos, they have ...
- The Quest for the Grail of Ancient Arton May 25, 2022 at 1:20 am
WHILE the literary revival of the fifteenth century was at its height, an enthusiast might have been seen rummaging about amid the ruins of ancient buildings ; turning up fragments of architecture and ...
- Art and Wealthon May 24, 2022 at 6:46 pm
It had been my fortune, in New York, to inspect, with the architect, a sumptuous house, then almost finished, costly to a degree unexampled, except in the case of some princely foreign palace which ...
- Onzie Norman explains his love of art and Detroiton May 24, 2022 at 3:19 pm
Artist Onzie Norman shared his passion for his hometown of Detroit and art with rolling out before the Diaspora Day Party.
- Daily ‘Artle’ Game Is Like Wordle But With Works Of Arton May 23, 2022 at 11:42 am
When Wordle came out last fall, the web-based word game quickly became a viral sensation. The game, which Josh Wardle created, is now owned and published by The New York Times, and it's still ...
- The Ultimate Guide To Art Deco Decoron May 22, 2022 at 6:24 am
The art deco style is all about luxury. From gleaming metallics to lush fabrics, here are our best tips for bringing the art deco style into your space.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Art on poster and billboard sites
- 3D images to replace traditional 'missing person' posterson May 24, 2022 at 6:27 pm
Old versus new: Leah's mum says the new one, pictured right, has given her renewed hope her daughter might be found Missing persons posters and billboards have been revamped, with experts turning ...
- The complicated tension of telling the truth at Canneson May 24, 2022 at 5:30 am
For its design display every year, the Cannes Film Festival creates an original commemorative poster, which gets splashed across the buildings and billboards of the seaside Cote d ...
- Elizabeth line to add over 300 new advertising sites to Londonon May 23, 2022 at 7:00 am
When the Elizabeth line opens on Tuesday morning, alongside the huge new central London stations, what will also be noticed is a new look to advertising inside the stations.
- JIM KEMPNER FINE ART PRESENTS CHARLIE HEWITT: NEW WORK MAY 19-JUNE 30on May 17, 2022 at 7:30 am
a public art project the artist created with sculptures and billboards. To date, the Hopeful project has spread with installations across seven states at dozens of different sites, both public and ...
- JIM KEMPNER FINE ART PRESENTS CHARLIE HEWITT: NEW WORK MAY 19-JUNE 30on May 17, 2022 at 6:00 am
This new body of work includes large canvases, prints ... a public art project the artist created with sculptures and billboards. To date, the Hopeful project has spread with installations across ...
- ‘The Steve Keene Art Book’: Read an Excerpt From First Tribute Book to Indie Rock’s Iconic Painteron May 16, 2022 at 5:00 pm
you’ve almost certainly come across the art of Steve Keene. The Virginia-born, Brooklyn-based painter created indelible album covers, posters, stage props, promo materials and more for bands ...
- Sign wars: Sharma billboard to remain, Spender posters to come downon April 30, 2022 at 12:30 pm
Wentworth MP Dave Sharma looks set to keep his billboard on the side of the Edgecliff ... She said her campaign has legal advice saying they can have posters on the poles. Independent candidate ...
- Del Mar Antiques + Art + Design Show at Fairgrounds Features On-site Appraisalson April 30, 2022 at 11:05 am
The Del Mar Antiques + Art + Design Show produced by Dolphin Promotions ... lighting, crystal, prints, oriental rugs, rare books, textiles, posters, toys, dolls, vintage designer clothing and ...
- Glitzy SUV Adverts Subverted On 100 Billboards By Guerilla Eco-Warriorson April 11, 2022 at 12:48 pm
the Brandalism collective has—without permission—plastered 100 billboard sites around the U.K. with 48-sheet posters that subvert standard auto advertising. “Car adverts promote private car ...