If they had used a safer electrolyte, the risk would have been reduced.
A research team at Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST), S. Korea, found a new physical organogel electrolyte with two unique characteristics: an irreversible thermal gelation and a high value of the Li+ transference number.
A Recent fire on a Boeing 787 on the ground in Boston, US, was caused by a battery failure, it resulted in the release of flammable electrolytes, heat damage and smoke. If they had used a safer electrolyte, the risk would have been reduced.
Electrolytes are essential components of supercapacitors, batteries and fuel cells. The Most widely used electrolyte is a liquid type since its overall ionic conductivity and value of transference numbers are better than solid-type electrolytes. However, safety concerns caused by its leakage and explosive nature, caused an extensive call for the research on the development of solid-type electrolyte.
The development of solid-type electrolytes, safe from explosion caused by high temperature and overcharge, is urgently needed to replace the liquid electrolytes. The solid electrolyte enables batteries to be safer as well as the use of higher energy electrode materials.
The most important parameter of electrolytes used in electrochemical cells is ionic conductivity. The use of solid-state electrolytes has been limited due to low ionic conductivity caused by their immobile matrix regardless of their own merits such as no leak, non-volatility, mechanical strength and processing flexibility.
Another parameter we should consider is transference of the number of ions. Electrolytes are characterized by their ionic conductivity, It is desirable that overall ionic results from the dominant contribution of the ions of interest. However high values of the cationic transference number achieved by solid or gel electrolytes have resulted in low ionic conductivity leading to inferior cell performances.
The research team of Profs. Hyun-Kon Song and Noejung Park of UNIST, presented an organogel polymer electrolyte characterized by a high liquid-electrolyte-level ionic conductivity with high a cationic transference number for Lithium ion batteries (LIB).
The research team acquired the two required properties simultaneously in polymer gel electrolytes: a liquid-electrolyte-level conductivity with a high transference number. Cyanoethly polyvinyle alchohol (PVA-CN) played a key role in the highly conductive gel electrolyte while another cyano resin, Cyanoethlyle pullulan (Pullulan-CN), was used as a control representing a liquid electrolyte containing cyano chains. The PVA-CN-containing liquid electrolyte was thermally gelated even without any chemical crosslinkers or polymerizations initiators.
Hyun-Kon Song and Noejung Park, both, professors of the Interdisciplinary School of Green Energy, UNIST, South Korea, led the effort. Fellow authors include: Young-Soo Kim, Yoon-Gyo Cho, and Dori Odkhuu from UNIST.
“We believe that this new type of electrolyte gel provides us with design flexibility in devices as well as enhanced safety and stability to electro-chemical devices,” said Prof. Song.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Ford SUVs with fire risk; Hyundai seat belt explosion potential among US auto recallson May 26, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Insufficient welds inside the high-voltage battery may fail, resulting in a loss of drive power ... the front driver-side and/or passenger-side seat belt pretensioners may explode upon deployment.
- EV Explosions: an initial hiccup in the transition to green vehicleson May 25, 2022 at 11:43 pm
Electric vehicles (EVs) are vital in India’s quest to achieve net-zero emissions by 2070. However, they have garnered national attention for all the wrong reasons recently.
- Battery fires increasing at recycling center, risk damage and injuryon May 24, 2022 at 3:20 am
The number of battery fires at the Emmet County Recycling Center has been increasing, risking damage and injury. One such incident was April 30.
- DRDO finds serious battery defects in EVs that caught fireon May 23, 2022 at 7:42 am
The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) has found serious defects in the batteries, including designs of the battery packs and modules, reports IANS.
- Serious battery defects in EVs that caught fire: DRDO reporton May 23, 2022 at 4:05 am
The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) that was tasked with investigating into EV fire incidents by the Union Road Transport and Highways Ministry, has found serious defects in the ...
- London bus explosion: Five electric buses go up in a fireball – smoke seen for mileson May 22, 2022 at 7:34 am
Video footage posted on line shows flames and thick black smoke billowing skywards, as by-standers watch on in horror. Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said six fire engines ...
- Why do cell phone batteries explode and how to prevent it?on May 16, 2022 at 2:56 am
So we've all heard stories of certain mobile phone batteries exploding, and to no surprise, it has raised some alarm. Some of the recent incidents have occurred in airplanes while in flight. And while ...
- Fears legalisation of e-scooters could lead to more house fires as batteries can ‘explode’on May 15, 2022 at 6:52 am
We have seen a rise in the number of fires involving e-bikes and e-scooters and it’s vital people are aware of the risks' ...
- E-bike battery explodes while it’s charging, torches Queens bicycle storeon May 11, 2022 at 3:34 pm
He and one of his employees plugged in one of the fire-prone batteries on Monday afternoon and battery exploded, turning his story into a two-alarm fireball. “It was very sudden like ...
- How to Spot an Explosive Phone Battery (and What to Do About It)on May 9, 2022 at 5:56 pm
Be it smartphones, laptops, or literally any gadget that has a battery, they’re all vulnerable to catching fire. (Samsung Note 7, anyone?) Your devices are unlikely to catch fire and explode ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Solid State Batteries Market Outlook By Product, Application, End-User & Forecast To 2027on May 26, 2022 at 1:37 am
A solid-state battery is a type of battery technology that has a solid electrode and solid electrolyte, unlike other batteries with liquids or gels. The market of solid-state batteries is ...
- The Science-Backed Drink That’ll Finally Get You To Drink Water (& Helps With Headaches)on May 23, 2022 at 2:14 pm
But, the company also offers research-backed preventative products you can get to help with headaches without a consultation. One of my biggest triggers is dehydration and yet, I’ve long found ...
- Solid Aluminum Electrolyte Capacitor Market Manufacturers, Suppliers, Vendors Sales, Revenue, Market Share 2022 to 2028on May 23, 2022 at 10:00 am
Pre and Post Covid is covered and Report Customization is available. The most recent update of the "Solid Aluminum Electrolyte Capacitor Market" offers Detailed Analysis and Key Data factors on the ...
- Ultrathin Fuel Cell Generates Electricity From Your Body’s Own Sugaron May 22, 2022 at 9:11 am
Engineers have created a glucose power source that could fuel miniature implants and electronic sensors. Glucose is a sugar we absorb from the foods we eat. It is the fuel that powers every cell in ...
- Global Solid State Battery Market to 2027 - Featuring Robert Bosch, Toyota Motor and LG Chem Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.comon May 20, 2022 at 10:32 pm
DUBLIN, April 26, 2022--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The "Global Solid State Battery Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Type (Single-cell Battery ... Traditional LIBs using organic liquid ...
- Ceramic electrolyte boosts tiny glucose fuel cellon May 19, 2022 at 1:48 am
Glucose absorbed from food is the fuel that powers every cell in our bodies. Could glucose also power tomorrow’s medical implants? Engineers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the ...
- Electric Vehicles Battery Market Growth Drives of 33.68% CAGR To Reach 192.29 Billion USD on Panasonic, BYD, LG Chem, Quallion, Boston-Poweron May 17, 2022 at 5:48 pm
Hence, the solid electrolyte will help in improving performance. Based on the Battery Type, the Electric Vehicles Battery market is segmented into Lithium-Ion batteries, Nickel Hybrid Battery, ...
- Argonne National Lab achieves battery patents for redox flow, solid-state, multivalent-ion and moreon May 16, 2022 at 2:13 pm
Joint Center for Energy Storage Research is developing alternative chemistries for batteries that may provide safer and longer lasting alternatives to the commonly used lithium-ion. The group has over ...
- Global Solid-State Electrolyte (SSE) Market 2022 - Manufacturers Strategies, Share Estimation, Future Demand and Regional Growth Dynamics 2028on May 16, 2022 at 1:54 pm
The MarketandResearch.biz has conducted an exhaustive market study on Global Solid-State Electrolyte (SSE) Market to understand its growth during 2022-2028. To make future predictions on the growth of ...