If they had used a safer electrolyte, the risk would have been reduced.
A research team at Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST), S. Korea, found a new physical organogel electrolyte with two unique characteristics: an irreversible thermal gelation and a high value of the Li+ transference number.
A Recent fire on a Boeing 787 on the ground in Boston, US, was caused by a battery failure, it resulted in the release of flammable electrolytes, heat damage and smoke. If they had used a safer electrolyte, the risk would have been reduced.
Electrolytes are essential components of supercapacitors, batteries and fuel cells. The Most widely used electrolyte is a liquid type since its overall ionic conductivity and value of transference numbers are better than solid-type electrolytes. However, safety concerns caused by its leakage and explosive nature, caused an extensive call for the research on the development of solid-type electrolyte.
The development of solid-type electrolytes, safe from explosion caused by high temperature and overcharge, is urgently needed to replace the liquid electrolytes. The solid electrolyte enables batteries to be safer as well as the use of higher energy electrode materials.
The most important parameter of electrolytes used in electrochemical cells is ionic conductivity. The use of solid-state electrolytes has been limited due to low ionic conductivity caused by their immobile matrix regardless of their own merits such as no leak, non-volatility, mechanical strength and processing flexibility.
Another parameter we should consider is transference of the number of ions. Electrolytes are characterized by their ionic conductivity, It is desirable that overall ionic results from the dominant contribution of the ions of interest. However high values of the cationic transference number achieved by solid or gel electrolytes have resulted in low ionic conductivity leading to inferior cell performances.
The research team of Profs. Hyun-Kon Song and Noejung Park of UNIST, presented an organogel polymer electrolyte characterized by a high liquid-electrolyte-level ionic conductivity with high a cationic transference number for Lithium ion batteries (LIB).
The research team acquired the two required properties simultaneously in polymer gel electrolytes: a liquid-electrolyte-level conductivity with a high transference number. Cyanoethly polyvinyle alchohol (PVA-CN) played a key role in the highly conductive gel electrolyte while another cyano resin, Cyanoethlyle pullulan (Pullulan-CN), was used as a control representing a liquid electrolyte containing cyano chains. The PVA-CN-containing liquid electrolyte was thermally gelated even without any chemical crosslinkers or polymerizations initiators.
Hyun-Kon Song and Noejung Park, both, professors of the Interdisciplinary School of Green Energy, UNIST, South Korea, led the effort. Fellow authors include: Young-Soo Kim, Yoon-Gyo Cho, and Dori Odkhuu from UNIST.
“We believe that this new type of electrolyte gel provides us with design flexibility in devices as well as enhanced safety and stability to electro-chemical devices,” said Prof. Song.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Two hurt in tank battery explosionon January 26, 2022 at 7:38 am
Two workers were injured Monday in an explosion and fire at a central Oklahoma oil tank battery, officials said.
- Corporate Funding for Battery Storage Companies Surged 159% with $17 Billion in 2021on January 26, 2022 at 7:01 am
Mercom Capital Group, llc, a global clean energy research and communications firm, released its report on funding and mergers and acquisitions (M&A) activity in 2021 for the battery storage, smart ...
- Explosion in Three Rivers felt for mileson January 26, 2022 at 4:30 am
Residents of Three Rivers and surrounding areas were alarmed when, in the early morning hours of Monday, Jan. 3, a loud boom sounded, which delivered a shock wave that could ...
- Battery explosion causes house fire in north Essex villageon January 26, 2022 at 1:14 am
A faulty battery exploded and caught fire at a home in a north Essex village. Firefighters from two stations were called to the blaze in Hawkwood Road in Sible Hedingham, near Sudbury and Halstead, at ...
- Teenagers in shock as vape battery explosion sparks house fire near Wolverhamptonon January 25, 2022 at 10:02 pm
Two teenagers escaped serious injury after an "incompatible battery" in a vape exploded sparked a house fire near Wolverhampton.
- 2 hurt in explosion and fire at Oklahoma tank batteryon January 25, 2022 at 6:58 am
Two workers were injured in an explosion and fire at a central Oklahoma oil tank battery. A spokeswoman for Oklahoma City-based Devon Energy said the incident happened shortly before 2 p.m. Monday at ...
- Explosion at oil site in Kingfisher County injures 2on January 25, 2022 at 12:07 am
An explosion at an oil site in Kingfisher County injured two. At around 2 p.m. on Monday, two people were injured after an explosion at an oil site near the intersection of County Line Road and North ...
- 2 injured in explosion and fire at an Oklahoma tank batteryon January 24, 2022 at 6:00 pm
Two workers were injured Monday in an explosion and fire at a central Oklahoma oil tank battery, officials said. The incident happened shortly before 2 p.m. at a Devon Energy oil well pad in Okarche, ...
- 🌱 Tank Battery Explodes, Injuring 1 + MPS Resumes COVID Testingon January 21, 2022 at 1:12 pm
Authorities took a person to a hospital in Oklahoma City after a tank battery exploded Thursday afternoon in Custer County. Weatherford fire crews were called to help when flames at the tank battery ...
- Person taken to OKC hospital after tank battery explosion in Custer Countyon January 20, 2022 at 9:08 pm
Authorities took a person to a hospital in Oklahoma City after a tank battery exploded Thursday afternoon in Custer County.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Top Trend in Smartphone Batterieson January 25, 2022 at 12:40 am
In this article, we will see Top Trend in Smartphone Batteries with information on battery types, battery technology, fast charging and more.
- Solid State Battery Market Key Insights Based on Product Type, End-use and Regional Demand Till 2026on January 20, 2022 at 5:14 am
Global Solid State Battery Market Report by Market Study report scrutinizes the overall market synopsis globally, their restraining factors, drivers, major challenges, opportunities, latest trends to ...
- Factorial Energy Raises $200 Million To Accelerate Commercialization of its Novel Solid-state Batteries for Electric Vehicleson January 20, 2022 at 3:08 am
The company’s proprietary FEST™ (Factorial Electrolyte System Technology) leverages a solid electrolyte material ... We sell different types of products and services to both investment ...
- SK Innovation aims to advance all-solid-state batterieson January 19, 2022 at 6:44 pm
SK Innovation has revealed that it will be collaborating with a research team led by Professor Lee Seung-woo of Georgia Tech in the United States with the aim of advancing "the era of next-generation ...
- New study stretches rubber to form battery electrolyteon January 19, 2022 at 1:15 am
Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) and the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology have now discovered that such batteries could potentially be produced by ...
- Advanced Battery Technologyon January 15, 2022 at 1:43 am
Other battery types, such as nickel-cadmium and nickel-metal-hydride ... The UDRI-EPT team will continue the development of lithium batteries using solid electrolytes to satisfy the needs of space, ...
- QuantumScape signs up Fluence as first non-automotive partner for solid-state battery techon January 13, 2022 at 7:00 am
Fluence has entered a collaboration with solid-state lithium-metal battery startup QuantumScape, with the pair working together to develop stationary energy storage solutions using the new technology.
- 10 Questions With the Guy Who Knows Literally Everything About Solid-State Batterieson January 1, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Addressing some of these challenges could be addressed by studying new types of batteries ... (anode in many solid-state battery designs) and not the behavior of the solid electrolyte that enable ...
- We ranked 3 types of EV batteries to find the most efficient and sustainable oneon December 28, 2021 at 6:44 am
Both types use lithium to produce electrical ... lithium-ion batteries use liquid electrolytes and solid-state batteries use solid electrolytes. As for sodium-ion batteries, imagine the exact ...