If they had used a safer electrolyte, the risk would have been reduced.
A research team at Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST), S. Korea, found a new physical organogel electrolyte with two unique characteristics: an irreversible thermal gelation and a high value of the Li+ transference number.
A Recent fire on a Boeing 787 on the ground in Boston, US, was caused by a battery failure, it resulted in the release of flammable electrolytes, heat damage and smoke. If they had used a safer electrolyte, the risk would have been reduced.
Electrolytes are essential components of supercapacitors, batteries and fuel cells. The Most widely used electrolyte is a liquid type since its overall ionic conductivity and value of transference numbers are better than solid-type electrolytes. However, safety concerns caused by its leakage and explosive nature, caused an extensive call for the research on the development of solid-type electrolyte.
The development of solid-type electrolytes, safe from explosion caused by high temperature and overcharge, is urgently needed to replace the liquid electrolytes. The solid electrolyte enables batteries to be safer as well as the use of higher energy electrode materials.
The most important parameter of electrolytes used in electrochemical cells is ionic conductivity. The use of solid-state electrolytes has been limited due to low ionic conductivity caused by their immobile matrix regardless of their own merits such as no leak, non-volatility, mechanical strength and processing flexibility.
Another parameter we should consider is transference of the number of ions. Electrolytes are characterized by their ionic conductivity, It is desirable that overall ionic results from the dominant contribution of the ions of interest. However high values of the cationic transference number achieved by solid or gel electrolytes have resulted in low ionic conductivity leading to inferior cell performances.
The research team of Profs. Hyun-Kon Song and Noejung Park of UNIST, presented an organogel polymer electrolyte characterized by a high liquid-electrolyte-level ionic conductivity with high a cationic transference number for Lithium ion batteries (LIB).
The research team acquired the two required properties simultaneously in polymer gel electrolytes: a liquid-electrolyte-level conductivity with a high transference number. Cyanoethly polyvinyle alchohol (PVA-CN) played a key role in the highly conductive gel electrolyte while another cyano resin, Cyanoethlyle pullulan (Pullulan-CN), was used as a control representing a liquid electrolyte containing cyano chains. The PVA-CN-containing liquid electrolyte was thermally gelated even without any chemical crosslinkers or polymerizations initiators.
Hyun-Kon Song and Noejung Park, both, professors of the Interdisciplinary School of Green Energy, UNIST, South Korea, led the effort. Fellow authors include: Young-Soo Kim, Yoon-Gyo Cho, and Dori Odkhuu from UNIST.
“We believe that this new type of electrolyte gel provides us with design flexibility in devices as well as enhanced safety and stability to electro-chemical devices,” said Prof. Song.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Watch an iFixit employee shoot a battery with a nail gun to teach us all about safetyon November 18, 2022 at 6:57 am
The takeaway? Despite the high profile examples of battery explosions that occasionally crop up in the news, modern lithium ion batteries are generally very safe so long as you follow some best ...
- Tips for responding to gas smells in home after Gaithersburg explosion at apartment complexon November 16, 2022 at 3:19 pm
"Smelling gas is a safety feature designed in the gas," Chief Goldstein said Wednesday after a gas-fed basement fire and explosion injured 12 people.
- WATCH: Battery pack explosion from e-scooter sparks blazing house fire in Bordonon November 15, 2022 at 2:34 am
AN EXPLOSION from an e-scooter battery pack set a house ablaze. Firefighters rushed to the property to quench the flames two days ago. Emergency personnel arrived at the scene just after 7pm to ...
- Video shows moment that electric scooter battery explosion caused fireon November 14, 2022 at 11:32 am
Firefighters have released dramatic video footage showing an electric scooter’s battery pack exploding causing a house fire. Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service (HFRS) was alerted to the blaze at the ...
- Opinion: E-bike Battery Regulation Isn’t Anti-immigrant or Anti-worker. It’s Common Sense.on November 14, 2022 at 7:33 am
There was another e-bike battery fire last weekend ... As happened almost 200 times in the past year, the batteries exploded. Almost 50 people were injured and multiple families are now homeless. The ...
- Swollen Battery? Expensive to Replace? Run Your Smartphone Without a Battery!on November 13, 2022 at 7:31 am
Don't throw away that old phone or tablet just because the battery has swollen. You can still power it up without a battery.
- A Proterra electric bus battery exploded in a South Philly SEPTA depoton November 11, 2022 at 9:08 am
A battery power pack in a sidelined electric bus ignited Wednesday at SEPTA’s Southern Bus Depot, occupying city fire crews for hours and delivering another possible setback to efforts to build a ...
- Battery explosion causes more ruckus than damageon November 10, 2022 at 10:54 am
A small explosion on the outskirts Thatcher early Tuesday afternoon turned out to be less consequential than it may have seemed.
- A Better Home Batteryon November 10, 2022 at 3:20 am
Australian startup Lavo is betting that using hydrogen can help it do the job better. Its residential hydrogen battery converts solar power into hydrogen via an electrolyser and then outputs power via ...
- Explosion in camera battery may have caused train fire at Nashikon November 7, 2022 at 5:33 pm
A preliminary inquiry has revealed that the probable cause of fire in the Shalimar Express parcel van was a defective camera battery that exploded an ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Battery Explosions” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Electrolyte Battery Market To Witness Stellar Revenue Growth Across Top Regional Pockets : Fact.MR X Heraldon November 17, 2022 at 2:50 pm
Based on chemical type, lithium, under anode ... Next-generation technologies such as all-solid-state batteries are already on the horizon, and continuous research and development is required to keep ...
- FACTBOX-How do electric vehicle batteries work?on November 15, 2022 at 7:45 am
Most lithium ion batteries today use one of two types of cathodes: Nickel cobalt manganese ... plastic to enable ions to flow between the electrodes. The electrolyte is a liquid, gel or solid blend of ...
- Faster Charging and Increased Range? Solid State Batteries for EVs Explainedon November 13, 2022 at 5:14 am
Lithium ion batteries, used in EVs today, have a liquid electrolyte solution sandwiched in between their cathodes and anodes (see the middle gap in the image above). Alternatively, solid state ...
- A hydrated horse is a healthy horse, and the key is quality electrolyteson November 12, 2022 at 12:52 am
A just-published review examines oral electrolyte and water supplementation ... “Horses are sensitive to the taste of solid and liquid foods and this affects the ability of horses to eat and ...
- Eating disorders have risen in recent years. A new finding may help catch them earlieron November 11, 2022 at 8:26 am
The study team tracked participants’ electrolyte levels until 2020 and noted how many were diagnosed with eating disorders, according to the study published Tuesday in JAMA Network Open.
- How a design tweak could help pacemaker batteries last longeron November 10, 2022 at 4:05 pm
But with their growth in popularity since they were commercially released in the 1990s, another type of battery ... a combination of an electrolyte and a cathode, which they call a catholyte. “Most ...
- Unexplained outpatient electrolyte abnormality may signal eating disorderon November 9, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Nearly one in five individuals diagnosed with an eating disorder had a preceding outpatient electrolyte abnormality, according to a study published online Nov. 8 in JAMA Network Open. Gregory L.
- Analysis of electrolyte abnormalities in adolescents, adults and subsequent diagnosis of an eating disorderon November 8, 2022 at 8:02 am
About The Study: In this case-control study of individuals age 13 or older without a prior eating disorder diagnosis, researchers found that an outpatient electrolyte abnormality was associated ...
- Solid Electrolyte Market New Innovations and Future Expansion 2022-2028on November 7, 2022 at 6:13 am
The market is segmented on the basis of End-user Industry (Electrical and Electronics Industry, Telecom Industry), By Type (Inorganic Solid Electrolyte, Composite Solid Electrolyte, Polymer Solid ...
- Solid-state batteries are a decade away - StoreDoton November 7, 2022 at 3:59 am
Israeli battery startup StoreDot believes carmakers should be considering semi-solid-state batteries in the medium term.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”solid-type electrolytes” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]