Researchers identify compounds that help liver cells grow outside the body.
Prometheus, the mythological figure who stole fire from the gods, was punished for this theft by being bound to a rock. Each day, an eagle swept down and fed on his liver, which then grew back to be eaten again the next day.
Modern scientists know there is a grain of truth to the tale, says MIT engineer Sangeeta Bhatia: The liver can indeed regenerate itself if part of it is removed. However, researchers trying to exploit that ability in hopes of producing artificial liver tissue for transplantation have repeatedly been stymied: Mature liver cells, known as hepatocytes, quickly lose their normal function when removed from the body.
“It’s a paradox because we know liver cells are capable of growing, but somehow we can’t get them to grow” outside the body, says Bhatia, the John and Dorothy Wilson Professor of Health Sciences and Technology and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at MIT, a senior associate member of the Broad Institute and a member of MIT’s Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research and Institute for Medical Engineering and Science.
Now, Bhatia and colleagues have taken a step toward that goal. In a paper appearing in the June 2 issue of Nature Chemical Biology, they have identified a dozen chemical compounds that can help liver cells not only maintain their normal function while grown in a lab dish, but also multiply to produce new tissue.
Cells grown this way could help researchers develop engineered tissue to treat many of the 500 million people suffering from chronic liver diseases such as hepatitis C, according to the researchers.
The Latest Bing News on:
- An experiment ‘resurrects’ the organs of dead pigs with artificial bloodon August 5, 2022 at 7:36 pm
A system that injects a hemoglobin-based fluid reverses cell death, a breakthrough that could have a major impact on organ donation ...
- How human ‘organs on a chip’ can help replace animal testingon August 5, 2022 at 3:00 am
Animal testing isn’t just ethically questionable—it’s actually not that effective. Several biotech firms are developing technology that could change that.
- Time is running out: Man needs liver transplant, wife struggles to copeon August 3, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Unless Xiong gets a liver transplant soon, he is likely to die.His family's hopes were raised when 13 kind souls stepped up as potential donors, responding to Xiong's wife's pleas for help on social ...
- Heal with foods: How eating right can manage fatty liveron August 2, 2022 at 4:41 am
Did you know that the top reason for a fatty liver is a poor diet!!! A diet that is rich in sugar, liquid, and industrial fats, and refined carbohydra ...
- Heal with Food: Top foods for a healthier liver, suggests experton August 2, 2022 at 4:02 am
Did you know that you can get a fatty liver even without drinking any alcohol? Your liver performs 500+ vital metabolic functions every day that inclu.
- How your liver keeps you healthy and how hepatitis vaccinations and a good diet can protect iton July 29, 2022 at 9:10 am
How our liver keeps us healthy, how it regenerates, and how to prevent liver damage from disease, alcohol and toxins.
- How to protect your liver: Hepatitis jabs, a good diet and less alcoholon July 28, 2022 at 7:11 pm
The body’s largest organ, the liver, weighs about 1.5kg (3.3lbs) in a healthy adult. And if we take good care of it, the liver can be extraordinarily resilient, says Dr Paul Ng, a specialist in ...
- Artificial Pancreas Systems Market Insights on the Important Factors and Trends Influencing the Industry with a CAGR of 8.40% By 2028on July 26, 2022 at 11:21 am
An analysis of competitors is conducted very well in the world class Artificial Pancreas Systems Market report which ...
- What to know about artificial liver support systemson July 22, 2022 at 1:18 pm
Artificial liver support systems can simulate some functions of a person’s liver. They can act as a bridge treatment for people with liver diseases until they recover or receive a transplant.
- Artificial Organ and Tissues Market Research report forecast 2022 To 2028, Latest Industry News, Top Company Analysis, Research Methodology.on July 21, 2022 at 1:00 pm
The " Artificial Organ and Tissues Market " research report 2022 - 2028 examines the Artificial Organ and Tissues Market's growth potential and threats in terms of business tactics, sales volume, and ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Chronic liver diseases
- Orange urine could be a sign 'your liver is malfunctioning' - other signs to look out foron August 7, 2022 at 6:20 am
ANY UNUSUAL signs when we go to the toilet could indicate a number of health conditions. The colour of urine, for example, could mean something is wrong. And one colour in particular could signal a ...
- High Rates of Chronic Hepatitis B and Tuberculosis Co-Infection Observed in Nationally Representative Quest Diagnostics Studyon August 5, 2022 at 6:37 am
Concurrent testing for chronic hepatitis B and tuberculosis occurs in a minority of patients who test positive for either condition, according to a new Quest Diagnostics Health Trends® study.
- Poor Sleep Can Increase The Risk Of Fatty Liver Disease, Finds Studyon August 5, 2022 at 5:48 am
According to a research, poor sleeping pattern and other sedentary lifestyle habits are at a higher risk of fatty liver disease.
- Liver Disease Busting Secrets That Really Workon August 5, 2022 at 4:15 am
Liver disease affects 4.5 million adults in the US, according to the CDC. "Your liver removes all toxins, clears medication from your body and metabolizes [breaks down] all your food," says Saleh ...
- New scoring system to fix sex disparity in liver transplantson August 4, 2022 at 6:50 am
Every year, some 13,000 people are added to the liver transplant waiting list in the United States, but fewer than 9,000 receive a liver. Placement on the list largely depends on a number called the ...
- Review of the European Association for the Study of Liver (EASL) International Liver Congress (ILC) 2022 Congresson August 3, 2022 at 11:30 pm
AFTER a 3-year wait to meet in-person since the 2019 congress in Vienna, Austria, the European Association for the Study of Liver ...
- Sure Signs You Have Liver Disease, Say Physicianson August 3, 2022 at 4:15 am
Liver disease can be very sneaky—if people don't know the signs, it can be easy to miss until the disease is advanced. "That's the tough part of treatment," says Anurag Maheshwari, MD, a ...
- Acute On Chronic Liver Failure Market Future Growth and Business Opportunities 2022-2028|Latest Research Reporton August 2, 2022 at 11:03 pm
Pre and Post Covid is covered and Report Customization is available. In the forecast period of 2022-2028, the Global ...
- Night Owls, Beware! Staying Up Late Could Increase Risk Of Fatty Liver Diseaseon July 31, 2022 at 10:11 pm
Getting enough sleep is crucial for a healthy mind and body. Night owls, beware! If you’re frequently staying up late, you could get fatty liver disease.
- Patients With Liver Disease and COVID Report Extra Hardshipson July 28, 2022 at 10:04 am
The COVID-19 pandemic substantially impacted the daily lives of patients with chronic liver disease, a global cross-sectional study found. Among 2,500 chronic liver disease patients, 11.3% reported ...