The robot apocalypse came a step closer as Northrop Grumman and the US Navy carried out a successful carrier-style landing of the X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System (UCAS) demonstrator.
The test, which was carried out on May 4 at the Naval Air Station Patuxent River in Maryland, used a land-based version of an aircraft carrier cable-arrested landing system as the beginning of the final phase of testing prior to carrier-based trials planned for later this month.
Landing on an aircraft carrier is one of the most hair-raising maneuvers a pilot can carry out. Even the most jaded has sweaty palms while guiding in a 60-million dollar aircraft at hundreds of miles an hour to land on a flight deck that looks about the size of a chocolate bar. Watching an autonomous unmanned aircraft try the same thing is almost as bad, but if combat UAVs like the X-47B are to become part of the fleets of the future, they’ll need to master the art so they don’t end up as piles of high tech scrap.
Saturday’s test was a cable-arrested landing, which is the technique that allows high-speed aircraft to land on a short carrier deck with relative safety. During landing, the aircraft deploys a landing hook that snags a heavy cable strung across the flight deck. As the cable plays out, it absorbs the energy of the plane and quickly brings it to a controlled stop. In the X-47B’s case, this system was set up on an airfield rather than an aircraft carrier, but the navigation approach was designed to simulate that of carrier operation.
The landing was the highlight of three three months of shore-based carrier testing , which included precision approaches, touch-and-go landings, and precision landings. Carl Johnson, vice president and Navy (UCAS Carrier Demonstration) UCAS program manager for Northrop Grumman said, “The X-47B air vehicle performs exactly as predicted by the modeling, simulation and surrogate testing we did early in the UCAS-D program. It takes off, flies and lands within a few feet of its predicted path.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Unmanned Combat Air System
- Low-boom supersonic UAV latest USAF effort to boost adversarial air trainingon October 15, 2021 at 1:41 pm
In what is the latest example of the US Air Force boosting funding for adversarial training, the service granted a contract to supersonic airliner developer Exosonic to design and build a low-boom ...
- New Chinese spy drone ‘will make combat scenes in the movies a reality’, state media claimson October 12, 2021 at 6:10 am
Chinese state television has highlighted a new armed spy drone, with one report saying it will be able to work with other unmanned aircraft to carry out reconnaissance and strike operations. The ...
- Iran launches air defense exerciseson October 12, 2021 at 5:58 am
TEHRAN - The joint specialized air defense exercise of the Modafe’an-e Aseman-e Velayat (Defenders of Sky of Velayat) kicked off on Tuesday morning in Iran’s central desert.
- Liteye's SHIELD to Support RCCTO C-sUAS HEL System under $5.5M Contracton October 12, 2021 at 2:00 am
Centennial Colorado — Liteye Systems, based in Denver Colorado, has been awarded a $5,500,000, multiple-year contract ...
- New Kronshtadt Facility to Produce Tens of Russian Combat Drones, Unmanned Helicopters Annuallyon October 12, 2021 at 12:17 am
Russia’s Kronshtadt company is opening a new facility in Dubna just outside capital Moscow that will produce tens of combat drones and unmanned helicopters annually starting next year. "The capacities ...
- IAI Selected to Develop Israel’s Future Manned-Unmanned Armored Vehicleon October 10, 2021 at 6:16 am
Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) has been selected as the prime contractor for developing the concept and technologies for the Israel Defense Force’s (IDF) future Armored Fighting Vehicle – the ...
- Air-to-Air Refueling Market worth $851 million by 2025 at a CAGR of 11.2%on October 7, 2021 at 7:34 am
Component (Pumps, Valves, Hoses, Boom, Probes, Fuel Tanks, Pods), Aircraft Type (Fixed, Rotary), Type (Manned, Unmanned), End User, Region - Global Forecast to 2025", size is projected to grow from an ...
- Russia's S-70 Unmanned Combat Craft Is Nearing the Prototype Stageon October 6, 2021 at 4:22 pm
Russia's forthcoming Sukhoi S-79 Okhotnik 'Hunter' has nearly reached the prototype stage! Check out the most in-depth video analysis yet released.
- The Kettering Bug: America’s First Foray Into Unmanned Drone Technology Started During WWIon October 6, 2021 at 9:28 am
Today, drone technology is a critical component on the battlefield and is evolving at a rapid pace. There are many that believe it is only a matter of ...
- This Is Our Most Detailed Look At Russia's S-70 Unmanned Combat Air Vehicle To Dateon October 5, 2021 at 9:13 am
A recent official Russian Ministry of Defense television program offered new details about the S-70 drone and how it is expected to further evolve.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Unmanned Combat Air System
The Latest Bing News on:
Autonomous unmanned aircraft
- World Premiere at China Airshow: AutoFlight presents V1500M - an autonomous passenger eVTOL aircrafton October 16, 2021 at 12:42 am
The tech company AutoFlight shows an autonomous passenger eVTOL aircraft: the V1500M. It will change the face of personal air transportation. AutoFlight debuted its autonomous fixed-wing passenger ...
- Unmanned Electronic Warfare Market Set to Grow at the Fastest Rate in North America regionon October 14, 2021 at 5:42 pm
According to the new market research report “ Unmanned Electronic Warfare Market by Product (Unmanned EW Equipment, Unmanned EW Operational Support), Operation, Platform (Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, ...
- T-Works built autonomous hybrid UAV covers 45kmon October 14, 2021 at 4:21 pm
City-based makers lab T-Works on Thursday said it has developed an indigenous vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) autonomous unmanned aeri.
- Reliable Robotics lifts $100M to take autonomous cargo planes where none have gone beforeon October 14, 2021 at 2:22 pm
When flying cargo from one part of the world to another, you typically need a pilot for two parts: The take-off and the landing. As so elegantly outlined in the 1980 Jim Abrahams movie !Airplane — the ...
- Reliable Robotics raises $100M for autonomous flight techon October 14, 2021 at 7:21 am
Reliable Robotics, a developer of autonomous flight technology, raised $100 million in funding. It initial focus is autonomous cargo planes.
- Bell's Autonomous Cargo Drone Demonstrates Game-Changing Aerial Resupply Capabilityon October 13, 2021 at 2:29 pm
Unmanned aerial vehicles are undoubtedly improving warfighting capabilities. As one of the pioneers of aircraft systems for military applications, Bell has recently proved that its autonomous cargo ...
- Xwing And Textron Team Up For Autonomous Flight Planon October 12, 2021 at 9:04 am
Textron Aviation and U.S. startup and autonomous aircraft specialist Xwing have signed a joint development technology agreement to accelerate the integration of autoflight technologies into existing ...
- Xwing sees route to autonomous cargo operations within two yearson October 12, 2021 at 9:00 am
US technology start-up Xwing is hopeful that cargo operations using its autonomous flight technology could begin within two years after sealing key airframe and systems partnerships that will help to ...
- CACI Debuts Two New Counter-Unmanned Aircraft System Technologieson October 11, 2021 at 6:04 am
CACI International Inc (NYSE: CACI) announced today the release of its latest technologies to mitigate threats from unmanned aircraft systems. The next generation CORIAN 2.0 system and new CORIAN ...
- Watch the Most Advanced Solar-Powered Aircraft Ace Navigation Flight Teston October 7, 2021 at 12:05 am
Skydweller hit a milestone on its way to developing the most advanced solar-powered, autonomous aircraft, capable of perpetual flight. Recent flight tests demonstrated the company’s innovative ...