A good wool shirt is awesome, but would you wear one for 100 days straight without washing it?
Wool & Prince claims that you can do exactly that with its buttondown shirts, which it handed out to 15 “wear testers” who wore them while engaging in such activities as backpacking in the Andes and dancing in “Tropical” NYC clubs. According to the makers, the shirts not only proved durable, but still looked – and smelled – fresh after over three months of straight wear.
The premise behind the Wool & Prince shirt is that it’s the buttondown equivalent to a pair of denim jeans. Jeans look good (if not worn by a middle-aged journalist), are durable, comfortable, and don’t need to be washed too often. Shirts, on the other hand, need to be washed after almost every wearing. The thinking was, why not make a buttondown shirt that worked like a pair of jeans?
Unfortunately, what works for jeans doesn’t for shirts. Denim jeans are made out of cotton, which is fine for trousers, but cotton shirts, however comfy they might be, tend to wear out quickly and don’t wick away perspiration very well, so they can get clammy and smelly pretty fast. Synthetic fibers or blends can help a bit with things like durability and wrinkles, but their smooth fiber surfaces are very good breeding areas for the bacteria that turn sweat into pong.
According to Wool & Prince, the clever bit isn’t some new scientific breakthrough in textiles. Instead, it’s a matter of using the highest quality Australian wool to make their proprietary “Cotton-Soft” wool fabric. Since this is a very fine Merino wool, it isn’t like the coarse, scratchy stuff used in jumpers. This fine wool allows the fibers to exploit a lot of material’s natural qualities. Wool is six times more durable than cotton, wrinkle resistant and wicks the sweat away, so skin bacteria don’t have a chance to get going. The proteins are naturally antibacterial and the waxy coating of the fibers discourages staining.
The Latest Bing News on:
Breakthrough in textiles
- 10 Nanotech Breakthroughs You Should Know About (Updated)on June 22, 2022 at 5:00 pm
In the past few decades, nanotech has found a steadily growing number of applications in everything from computing to textiles. It remains to be seen ... The researchers report that the breakthrough ...
- A new breakthrough in the sustainable production of aesthetic duvet cover sets has been achieved by daintyduvet.on June 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm
they are reshaping the way bedding is produced as it helps reduce the waste and carbon footprint normally associated with the textile industry. daintyduvet’s innovative production process starts ...
- Huntsman Textile Effects Introduces New PFC-Free Durable Water Repellent In Performance Breakthroughon June 21, 2022 at 10:45 am
ACE, a breakthrough PFC-free durable water repellent (DWR) that makes it possible for mills and brands to deliver high-performance outdoor and extreme sports apparel and everyday wear while meeting ...
- LanzaTech, with Support of Danone, Discovers Breakthrough Method to Produce PET from Captured Carbonon May 27, 2022 at 12:08 am
“This is a technological breakthrough which could have significant impact, with applications in multiple sectors, including packaging and textiles!” While there is no organism in nature known to ...
- DuPont honored in Amsterdam for breakthrough biobased technology platformon May 18, 2022 at 5:01 pm
At the 10th annual World Bio Markets Conference held in Amsterdam last week, DuPont Industrial Biosciences received the 2015 Bio Business Award for Breakthrough Bio-Based ... found in various ...
- Flexible Lithium Ion Battery Breakthroughon May 18, 2022 at 5:01 pm
Wearable electronics are finding new applications in healthcare monitoring, intelligent textiles, smartphones, Global Positioning System (GPS) tracking, and the Internet of Things (IoT). The problem ...
- Vietnam’s textile-garment industry hopes for breakthroughs in 2019on May 1, 2022 at 4:57 pm
Maritime sector focuses on administrative reform, Vinalines Logistics’ profit growth projected at least 10 percent, Vietnam’s textile-garment industry hopes for breakthroughs in 2019 ...
- Viet Nam Textile and Apparel Associationon April 26, 2022 at 1:00 pm
Vietnam’s garment-textile sector is expected to make breakthroughs in 2020 thanks to the Fourth Industrial Revolution. Vietnam’s garment and textile exports were estimated at US$39 billion this year, ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Breakthrough in textiles
The Latest Bing News on:
Wool & Prince
- WoolWorks commits $2.4 million to support Wool Impacton June 28, 2022 at 9:58 pm
New Zealand wool scourer WoolWorks will contribute $2.4 million over the next three years to support the new industry good organisation Wool Impact Ltd. Wool Impact will work with brands and companies ...
- Seaweed-maker AlgiKnit Pulls $13M as Tech Solutions Soar for Traceable Wool, Plus-size Fits: Short Takeson June 28, 2022 at 9:01 pm
AlgiKnit secures $13 million in funding as tech solutions expand wool traceability in innerwear and plus-size fashion gets a fit update.
- The 'wool' M&S jumper that's only a third woolon June 28, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Complaints about goods that were poor quality, faulty or not as described soared by 138% last year, according to dispute service Resolver.
- Former Bathurst wool store transformed into ‘five-star luxury accommodation’on June 28, 2022 at 7:59 am
A former wool store in Bathurst has been converted to five-star accommodation and home by its New York-loving owners.
- VF Invests in Regenerative Woolon June 27, 2022 at 3:59 pm
The Vans, Supreme and The North Face owner made a “significant investment” in the Savory Institute‘s new strategic partnership with Merino Company’s ZQRX wool platform, it said last week. ZQRX, which ...
- Mineral Wool Market Advancement and Future Scope Till 2028on June 27, 2022 at 8:20 am
The Global Mineral Wool Market Research Report 2022-2028 is a valuable source of insightful data for business strategists. It provides the industry overview with growth analysis and historical & ...
- Global Steel Wool Market Size and Share Research Report 2022 Key Players, Development, Trends, Industry Overview and Forecast to 2029on June 27, 2022 at 2:28 am
Jun 27, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- "Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry. “Steel Wool Market“ 2022 report is ...
- Wool productives investment aims to have impact on new marketson June 26, 2022 at 4:45 pm
The government is backing a plan to help grow the strong wool sector by investing in new product categories and new international markets.
- Wool versus Merino - time for a rethink?on June 26, 2022 at 9:00 am
The Australian wool market continued to benefit from the favourable exchange rates last week with a small drop in prices overall translating to a small positive movement in local currency terms as the ...
- Merino wool bandages deliver breathable, biodegradable healingon June 21, 2022 at 7:19 pm
The outdoor industry has a history of using merino wool in new, previously unexpected ways, but that still didn't prepare us for the wool bandages showcased at this year's summer Outdoor Retailer show ...