Researchers at the University of Alicante have patented a new device that allows more efficiently to cultivate microalgae and can be used as raw material for biofuel or for other valuable substances in the agri-food or pharmaceutical industry.
The Research Group in Polymer Processing and Pyrolysis at the University of Alicante is the team that has designed and developed this device, consisting of a photobioreactor, easily scalable to larger production, which has attracted the interest of both Spanish and foreign firms in the sector of biotechnology.
The director of the research group, Antonio Marcilla Gomis, explained that the novelty of this photobioreactor compared to those existing is that it allows mass production, less cleaning and maintenance operations, better use of CO2 and better light transfer to cultivation.
During the last decade, growing concerns about oil depletion and global warming have prompted wide research into fuel production from biomass.
This is because biofuels can provide environmental improvements in reducing greenhouse gases, which would not be achieved with the use of oil.
Algae can provide many advantages, because they breed quickly, do not require agricultural land and not even need clean or fresh water to grow, but more importantly they produce an oil that can be converted into biodiesel fuel type, as Marcilla Gomis states.
The design of this novel technology aims to overcome any difficulties or problems that have been presented over the years with the use of other similar cropping systems.
“The subject on the cultivation of microalgae is having a major boom in terms of research in the last fifteen years as an alternative energy to oil”, he said.
However, as Marcilla Gomis clarified, the cost of the production of microalgae for energy “is still far from what would be a profitable process comparable to oil”.
”This does not mean that in a few years it may be so”, this researcher expressed, who underlined that U.S. and Asia multinational firms are interested in a position in this field.
For example, as he reveals, in the U.S. there is an ongoing project, strategically aimed at precisely the achievement of non-oil fuel as an alternative energy source to supply the military and civil transport.
The Latest Bing News on:
Biofuel from algae
- Bioethanol Market 2021 Global Trend, Segmentation and Opportunities, Forecast 2026on January 13, 2021 at 4:18 pm
Bioethanol Industry Description Wiseguyreports.Com Adds "Bioethanol -Market Demand, Growth, Opportunities and Analysis Of ...
- Legacy Fuel Company Embraces Sustainable Aviation Biofuelon January 11, 2021 at 12:19 am
A subsidiary of one of the largest U.S. companies has teamed up with this biofuel producer to expand sustainable aviation biofuel production.
- CCHS offers hands-on engineering programon January 9, 2021 at 1:29 am
Steubenville Catholic Central High School announced it will offer Project Lead The Way’s high school engineering program. PLTW is a nonprofit organization that provides a transformative learning ...
- EU seeks views on algae productionon January 5, 2021 at 6:21 am
The European Commission has published an online consultation on its roadmap towards a strong and sustainable EU algae sector. Algae is a resource of highly nutritious food and feed, but also serve as ...
- Researchers Turn to Rotten Tomatoes for Biofuelon January 3, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Tomatoes now join corn, soybeans, and algae as a food that can serve as the basis for biofuels that could one day replace environmentally harmful fuels. Venkataramana Gadhamshetty, an assistant ...
- UCLA reveals ’high protein’ fuel system that could use human wasteon January 3, 2021 at 4:01 pm
With biofuels, we're looking at any sort of liquid ... in waste and other protein-rich material such as, wastewater algae and fermentation leftovers from ethanol, wine and beer.
- A Mini-Cluster of Algae-to-Biofuels Technology Blooms in San Diegoon December 29, 2020 at 4:00 pm
When I sat down recently with Mario Larach, he was still excited about a U.S. Department of Energy workshop he had attended on algae biofuels earlier this month at the University of Maryland.
- Near Durango, Solix Biofuels makes oil from algaeon December 22, 2020 at 4:00 pm
DURANGO, Colorado – Solix Biofuels Inc. has started making oil from algae at its facility near Durango. The Fort Collins-based company said Thursday that its Coyote Gulch Demonstration Facility began ...
- Biofuel Energy Market Predicted to Witness Sustainable Evolution in Future | Aemetis, TerraVia, Green Plainson December 22, 2020 at 2:22 am
Biofuel, any fuel that is derived from biomass that is, plant or algae material or animal waste. Since such feedstock material can be replenished readily, biofuel energy is considered to be a ...
- A one-stop shop for analyzing algal genomeson December 21, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Algae are important organisms. They play key roles in global carbon cycling, are sources of natural products, and have potential as biofuel feedstocks. Understanding the genetic underpinnings ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Biofuel from algae
The Latest Bing News on:
- Could microalgae culture on a conveyor belt catch on?on January 12, 2021 at 6:05 pm
A prototype conveyor belt system works to co-culture microalgae with a methanotroph. Its designers say aquaculture producers could use the system to manage their waste and create a potential revenue ...
- Our Faculty & Staffon January 8, 2021 at 11:06 am
He also cofounded a clean tech company, Bionavitas, where he led research and development of the LIT™ photobioreactor technology. Guschin was also a consultant to technology startups and large ...
- Algalif responds to astaxanthin demand by green lighting €22m expansionon January 6, 2021 at 5:19 am
Icelandic astaxanthin producer Algalif announces a €22m expansion to its production facilities in a round of investment that builds on 2019’s manufacturing upgrades to meet rising demand.
- Worldwide Laboratory Photobioreactor Market 2021 | Size, Share, Growth, Demand, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026on January 5, 2021 at 9:22 pm
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." The Global " Laboratory Photobioreactor Market " report covers a brief overview of the segments and sub-segmentations ...
- Fermentalg and Suez led carbon capture JV to create food and feed focused productson January 5, 2021 at 6:27 am
French microalgae innovator, Fermentalg, has announced the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with domestic waste management company, Suez, to create an equally-owned joint venture (JV) ...
- Bioreactor and Photobioreactor Engineeringon October 14, 2019 at 2:39 pm
Design, development and scaleup of bioreactors and photobioreactors are addressed for producing antibiotics, enzymes, vaccines, and therapeutic products. Heat transfer, mass transfer, mixing, ...
- Pondering on algae with new photobioreactoron May 9, 2019 at 11:19 am
Dr Pandhal’s research will see pre-processed leachate fed into a photobioreactor and growth and operating parameters carefully monitored. “For the last two years we have been culturing microbial ...
- Architecture Newson February 1, 2019 at 2:41 am
Architecture news, competitions and projects updated every hour for the architecture professional ...
- OMEGA Research Team Memberon December 28, 2016 at 11:52 am
He also trains OMEGA personnel on FRRF and other methodologies and instrumentation. He assisted in photobioreactor and system control design, implementation and evaluation.
- ENG/EFRI FY 2012 Awards Announcementon May 13, 2015 at 4:55 pm
The project “Microalgae Lab-on-Chip Photobioreactor Platform for Genetic Screening and Metabolic Analysis Leading to Scalable Biofuel Production” (1240478) will be led by Arum Han of Texas A&M ...