Called a Strawscraper, this tower is covered in piezoelectric fronds that rustle in the wind, generating power for people inside.
It’s just a concept, for now, but a pretty interesting one, and another example how designers see future buildings relying on their own power, rather than a power station at the city limits. Designer Rahel Belatchew Lerdell says the inspiration “came from fields of wheat swaying in the wind”, while a press release talks about a construction that gives “the impression of a body that is breathing”.
Belatchew’s blueprint calls for the completion of the Söder Torn, in Stockholm. The building, completed in the 1997, was originally envisaged as 40 stories, but was cut down to 26, when its architect, Henning Larsen, lost control of the project. The straws are an added bonus, but, for the moment, more futuristic than feasible.
Still the idea is intriguing. “By using piezoelectric technology, a large number of thin straws can produce electricity merely through small movements generated by the wind,” says the release. “The result is a new kind of wind power plant that opens up possibilities of how buildings can produce energy.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Agri-Fab Sleeve Hitch Box Scraper Bladeon November 23, 2023 at 4:01 pm
bvseo_sdk, java_sdk, bvseo-4.0.0 CLOUD, getContent, 94ms QUESTIONS, PRODUCT ...
- Definition of 'straw poll'on November 22, 2023 at 4:00 pm
A straw poll conducted at the end of the meeting found most people agreed with Mr Forth. I took a straw poll among my French friends to find out what they think of Britons living here.
- GrillPro Wooden BBQ Grill Scraperon November 22, 2023 at 4:00 pm
A grill brush is a great way to clean your grill but a grill scraper is often better. Scrapers don't have bristles to lose, they also show improved performance over time. A scraper can easily remove ...
- Coir Boot Scraper Doormaton November 21, 2023 at 5:46 am
Featuring natural coir bristles, ideal for cleaning dirt off boots and shoes, this simplistic doormat is crafted with a rubber backing for enhanced durability. We hope you love this product, but if ...
- One Piece: New Straw Hat Bounty Predictions After Eggheadon November 20, 2023 at 9:07 pm
The Egghead Island arc of One Piece is nearing its conclusion after a year-long run, making it highly unlikely for the arc to continue for another year. The Straw Hat Pirates will likely receive ...
- 'Chipotle is the DMV of food.'on November 20, 2023 at 11:00 am
A Chipotle customer in New York City declared a recent bad experience at the restaurant to be her last with the Mexican-inspired fast-casual chain. The final straw? An argument with the manager ...
- EDITORIAL: Feds' foolish fight to the last strawon November 19, 2023 at 4:00 pm
To no one’s surprise, Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault announced Monday that the Trudeau government will appeal the federal court decision last week which found its ban on single-use ...
- GUNTER: The straw that brings plastics back?on November 18, 2023 at 2:37 pm
In a ruling released Thursday, a Federal Court of Canada judge not only struck down the federal Liberals’ ban on single-use plastics as poor environmental law, Justice Angela Furlanetto also ...
- National Skip the Straw Day Inspires Recycling Initiatives, Paper Alternativeson November 11, 2023 at 4:00 pm
National Skip the Straw Day, held on the fourth Friday in February, is being celebrated for only the second time, but it has inspired recycling initiatives across the country in its short life.
- Fire destroys straw maze in Jackson Parkon November 11, 2023 at 4:00 pm
A late Sunday afternoon blaze that sent billowing smoke five blocks north of Tecumseh Road East destroyed part of the Bright Lights Windsor display at Jackson Park. A new exhibit — a children ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Strawscraper” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- A Virus that Generates Electricityon November 17, 2023 at 1:16 pm
Melting a bacteriophage’s coat of proteins turns it into a tiny power plant, which could fire up the discovery of new bioengineered devices.
- Boosting Piezoelectricity via a Bimodal Pore Distribution: The Role of Small Poreson November 13, 2023 at 11:00 pm
State Key Laboratory of Polymer Materials Engineering, Polymer Research Institute of Sichuan University, No. 24 South Section 1, Yihuan Road, Chengdu 610065, China ...
- Want smoother skin? Try tapping your face as you apply beauty productson November 12, 2023 at 12:07 am
If you see people on TikTok tapping their faces to apply beauty products, then they're probably practicing "bone tapping". This technique is said to improve the appearance of skin and even slow its ...
- Boosting Piezoelectricity by 3D Printing PVDF-MoS2 Composite as a Conformal and High-Sensitivity Piezoelectric Sensoron September 13, 2023 at 9:28 am
Herein, the study reports a significantly enhanced piezoelectricity in polyvinylidene fluoride (PVDF) achieved through the in situ dipole alignment of PVDF within PVDF-2D molybdenum disulfide (2D MoS2 ...
- Special Topics in the Theory of Piezoelectricity - Softcoveron May 6, 2023 at 12:52 am
Piezoelectricity has been a steadily growing field, with recent advances made by researchers from applied physics, acoustics, materials science, and engineering. This collective work presents a ...
- Examples of 'piezoelectricity' in a sentenceon March 13, 2022 at 1:38 am
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content that does not reflect the opinions or policies of Collins, or its parent company HarperCollins.
- Selective patterning of out-of-plane piezoelectricity in MoTe2 via focused ion beam...on March 1, 2021 at 11:53 pm
Two-dimensional transition-metal dichalcogenides (TMDs) have a strain-sensitive nature and can only exhibit in-plane piezoelectricity, owing to their in-plane inversion symmetry breaking, which limits ...
- The First Demonstration of Piezoelectricity (1880)on March 12, 2020 at 4:57 am
American Institute of Physics site, history of physics, “Pierre Curie”. “Piezoelectricity is an electric charge that is produced by many crystals and some ceramics and other materials when they are ...
- Piezoelectricity Meaning in Urduon December 3, 2018 at 1:17 am
Piezoelectricity is an English word that is used in many sentences in different contexts. Piezoelectricity meaning in Urdu is a داب برق - Daab barq-e. Piezoelectricity word is driven by the English ...
- Your Tears Can Produce Electricity, A New Study Showson October 4, 2017 at 7:07 am
These crystals of lyzosome can generate electricity when put under pressure, a property called direct piezoelectricity that is common in materials like quartz. It works by converting mechanical ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”piezoelectricity” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]