The Mataerial printer squirts quick-drying polymers from a nozzle, like it was frosting a cake, creating a new model for 3-D printing that doesn’t require layers and supports to make a new object.
While many creators look at 3-D printing as a technology full of endless potential, designers Petr Novikov and Saša Joki? saw something with room for improvement.
“There is a variety of different 3-D printing types […] and no matter how they work, they all work with layers,” explains Novikov. Machines extrude plastic layer by layer until the desired shape slowly accrues. “We thought that this is strange because layers are not very efficient”: they require the presence of a support structure to prop up an object as it’s printed, which restricts the printing process to horizontal surfaces. Plus the technique can increase the printing time, the use of materials, and the risk of damaging an object when removing it from its support structure.
Novikov and Joki?, who were studying at the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia in Barcelona last fall, wondered about printing with fibers instead of layers. Since then, they’ve worked to research, design, and patent a new method for 3-D printing called Mataerial, which squeezes polymers from a nozzle in a way that’s reminiscent of how bakers squeeze icing from a tube to frost a cake.
“The material that comes out of the nozzle is still kind of viscous–It’s not a liquid already but its not a solid material, so what we wanted to do is make it solid the same exact moment it comes out of the nozzle,” Novikov says. “And that’s the hardest part. Because if it solidifies before it comes out of the nozzle, then its going to make a clog… but if it solidifies after it leaves the nozzle, than its going to be weak and fall down.”
The secret was finding two liquid polymers that, when mixed, quickly harden. They’re calling the resulting method “Anti-Gravity Object Modeling,” since the material’s just-in-time solidification eschews the need for any sort of support structure, turning hard in mid-air.
The new method is exciting for a number of reasons.
The Latest Bing News on:
Anti-Gravity 3-D Printer
- Things to doon June 17, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Summer 2022 is the season of Chicago music festivals, with Lollapalooza and Ravinia among those announced so far. Find them all here.
- Could This Be The Best 3D Printer Nozzle Ever?on June 16, 2022 at 9:46 am
A new nozzle for FFF 3D printers has been announced by fibtip, and it seems to have all the right characteristics.
- Food 3D printer designed for pastry chefson June 15, 2022 at 5:32 am
Digital Pâtisserie has this week unveil their new food 3D printer aptly named the Patiss3 specifically designed for kitchens and caterers offering the ...
- 3D Printer With Insane Accuracy Uses A DLP Projectoron June 14, 2022 at 5:00 pm
After years of work, [Junior Veloso] is finally getting his 3D printer project out to the public. Unlike the Makerbots and repraps we usually see, [Junior]’s printer uses light-curing resin ...
- Anti-Gravity, Time Travel, And Teleportation: Dr. Hamming Gives Adviceon May 22, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Don’t waste time working on problems you have no way to attack. He points out that anti-gravity, time travel, and teleportation would be very lucrative. But why work on them when there appears ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Anti-Gravity 3-D Printer
The Latest Bing News on:
- NASA taps Idaho company to 3D-print isogrids for use in spaceon June 28, 2022 at 8:11 am
NASA’s Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program has provided Continuous Composites funding to additively manufacture open isogrids that have a sufficiently low coefficient of thermal ...
- When we'll be able to 3D-print organs and who will be able to afford themon June 28, 2022 at 6:36 am
What if doctors could just print a kidney, using cells from the patient, instead of having to find a donor match and hope the patient's body doesn't reject the transplanted ...
- Global 3D Printing (Additive Manufacturing) Market Competitive Strategy Analysis and Forecast Values (2022-2028)on June 27, 2022 at 1:20 pm
The Global 3D Printing (Additive Manufacturing) Market research report is created and designed by the MarketQuest.biz in a detailed yet crisp manner per the clients' needs. The report considers 2021 ...
- Combining SLA and FFF Processes: Resin Extrusion 3D Printer Developedon June 27, 2022 at 12:07 pm
The folks at Proper Printing YouTube channel decided to combine FFF and SLA 3D printing processes, with interesting results.
- Book of the Week: 3D Printing in Model Aircraft Constructionon June 27, 2022 at 12:07 pm
There have been enthusiasts building model aircraft for perhaps a hundred years, but in recent time the models have been significantly more sophisticated due to the arrival of com ...
- Researchers use international collaboration and 3D printing to stem PPE shortages in Nigeriaon June 27, 2022 at 7:14 am
Researchers at the University of Sussex and their partners in Nigeria used open-source designs and 3D printing to reduce personal protective equipment (PPE) shortages for a community in Nigeria during ...
- How 3D printing is changing educationon June 27, 2022 at 2:26 am
If the pandemic has taught us anything, it’s that we must invest in educational technology. When schools use technology to improve the quality and quantity of educational content, learners will ...
- 3D Printing Materials Market Insight| Growing CAGR |Leading Players | During Forecast Period 2022-2027on June 26, 2022 at 11:53 pm
Jun 27, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- "3D Printing Materials Market" (2022-2027) Research report delivers comprehensive analysis future forecast, ...
- 3D printer capable of making ‘ghost gun’ parts stolen from MTA railyardon June 23, 2022 at 5:06 pm
The $103,000 printer capable of making “ghost gun” parts disappeared from a Brooklyn railyard in March and has yet to turn up.
- Best 3D Printer Of 2022: Sermoon V1 Pro 3D Printeron June 23, 2022 at 7:47 am
One of the most innovative technological developments in the last decade, the 3D printer has changed how people use printers forever. While traditional printers can only print images, 3D printers ...