Tomatoes, said to be the world’s most popular fruit, can be made both better-tasting and longer-lasting thanks to UK research with purple GM varieties.
“Working with GM tomatoes that are different to normal fruit only by the addition of a specific compound, allows us to pinpoint exactly how to breed in valuable traits,” said Professor Cathie Martin from the John Innes Centre.
The research could also lead to GM varieties with better flavour, health and shelf life characteristics because even higher levels of the compounds can be achieved.
In research to be published in Current Biology, Martin and colleagues studied tomatoes enriched in anthocyanin, a natural pigment that confers high antioxidant capacity. The purple GM tomatoes have already been found to prolong the lives of cancer-prone mice and in the latest findings they also more double the normal shelf life of tomatoes from an average of 21 days to 48 days.
“Post-harvest losses due to rotting are such a serious problem for growers and supermarkets that even an increased shelf life of one day would make an enormous difference to them,” said Yang Zhang, lead author from the John Innes Centre.
One way to improve shelf life is to pick tomatoes early when they are still green and induce them to ripen artificially with ethylene. However, this results in loss of flavour. Another method is to grow varieties that never fully ripen, but these also never develop a full flavour.
In the current study, anthocyanins were found to slow down the over-ripening process that leads to rotting and softening, achieving a tomato with a long shelf life and full flavour. The purple tomatoes were also less susceptible to one of the most important postharvest diseases, grey mould caused by Botrytis cinerea.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Parks & Rec to present Tunes & Tasty Tomatoes July 1 and 15on June 15, 2021 at 5:56 am
Enjoy a summer evening with Hanover County Parks and Recreation as the staff celebrates the Hanover Tomato from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 1, at Pole ...
- Russia to start importing Azerbaijani apples and tomatoes by railon June 15, 2021 at 5:09 am
Russia’s phytosanitary service Rosselkhoznadzor will authorize import of Azerbaijani tomatoes and apples by railway starting from June 15. The shipment of apples and tomatoes by railway ...
- Ina Garten's No-Cook Recipe Uses Fresh Tomatoes for the Perfect Summer Dinneron June 14, 2021 at 2:33 pm
Seriously! And we're already counting down until we can try this oh-so-summery creation from none other than our ultimate entertaining guide, Ina Garten. This recipe for Heirloom Tomatoes with Herbed ...
- Athens Nurses Clinic to hold 11th annual Tomatoes at Terrapin Eventon June 14, 2021 at 5:00 am
The Athens Nurses Clinic will host their annual fundraising event, Tomatoes at Terrapin, for the 11th year in a row.
- 30 Movies With a 100 Percent Score on Rotten Tomatoeson June 14, 2021 at 4:00 am
One of the web's most popular sites for providing movie ratings is Rotten Tomatoes, which aggregates a percentage score for each particular movie, based on its Fresh versus Rotten review calculator.
- ‘Sad’ tomatoes can be rescuedon June 12, 2021 at 10:09 pm
The day you’re going to plant, don’t water the tomatoes in the pot, so they are a bit on the droopy side. I suggest that you pick a spot that gets a fair amount of sun and give that area a good ...
- How To Grow Tomatoes Properly, According to a Gardening Experton June 12, 2021 at 8:00 am
There are few things more quintessentially summer than learning how to grow tomatoes. Whether turned into a chilled gazpacho, sliced and sandwiched between two toasty pieces of bread, or just eaten ...
- 15 Disney Movies With the Worst Reviews on Rotten Tomatoeson June 11, 2021 at 4:00 pm
However, a minority of Disney 's animated movies are all proved misses with critics. Below, Newsweek presents the Disney movies with the worst reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Goofy and his teenage son Max ...
- Celebrate tomatoes with month full of events in Hanoveron June 10, 2021 at 2:09 pm
If you are a fan of tomato-based food, this coming July will be your favorite month. The celebrations kick off on July 1! The event will be from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at Pole Green Park on July 1. You can ...
- Garden Advice: With peppers and tomatoes, problems aren't always fixable - it's just the weatheron June 9, 2021 at 5:00 am
I've read that phosphorus promotes blossom and fruit production. I use 5-24-24 or 8-8-8 when I prepare beds as recommended by the LSU AgCenter. Here's my question: The fruit production ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Can CRISPR modify attitudes on food crops?on June 15, 2021 at 10:16 am
Agricultural geneticists are caught between old doubts and new hopes as the EU ponders regulatory relief for site-specific genetic modification of plants.
- Researchers developing heat tolerance in tomato seedson June 15, 2021 at 9:15 am
Researchers are working to identify genes that boost heat tolerance in seeds. The researchers at the University of California-Davis and the University of Florida received a $1.1 million grant from the ...
- First genome edited tomato variety gets nod from ministryon June 11, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Sanatech Seed then submitted its report about the new tomato seed to the ministry and it was accepted. The health ministry differentiates genome edited food products from genetically modified foods.
- America’s Best New Italian Restaurant Is In St Louison June 10, 2021 at 12:39 pm
This unassuming Midwestern city may be best known as the home of the Gateway Arch, but Saint Louisans are equally proud of being the home of one of America’s most enduring Italian neighborhoods—The ...
- Food labels can be confusing for anyone. Registered Dietitian and Nutrition Educator, Amber Pankonin, breaks it all down for us.on June 8, 2021 at 5:22 am
Food labels can be confusing for anyone. Registered Dietitian and Nutrition Educator, Amber Pankonin, breaks it all down for us.
- Everything You Need To Know About Heirloom Tomatoes—Including What Makes Them So Specialon June 7, 2021 at 11:19 am
that's because most mass-market tomatoes have been genetically modified to prize look and consistency over flavor. Heirloom tomatoes, on the other hand, are open-pollinated, which means that these ...
- Everything You Need To Know About Heirloom Tomatoes-Including What Makes Them So Specialon June 7, 2021 at 10:01 am
We Southerners have a special kinship with heirloom tomatoes. They star in so many of our favorite seasonal dishes, from stunning tomato pies to humble tomato sandwiches. One of the many beautiful ...
- The science behind GM cropson June 7, 2021 at 5:52 am
This tomato gained the moniker ‘fish tomato’. But it never reached the market. GM crops are perceived to offer benefits to both producers and consumers. Some of them are listed below ...
- Safety First: GM labelling, omega-3 adulteration, wine traceability and more feature in our round-upon June 3, 2021 at 7:10 pm
Chinese consumers and GM labelling, widespread omega-3 adulteration found on e-commerce sites, new no-fail wine traceability technology and more feature in this edition of Safety First.
- Tomato Juice For Weight Losson June 3, 2021 at 3:29 pm
My grandmother tomato juice for weight loss was wearing a blue coat, black dress, and a white turban. She walked like rolling Tomato Juice For Weight Loss on the fat burning pills ground, it was ...