Tomatoes, said to be the world’s most popular fruit, can be made both better-tasting and longer-lasting thanks to UK research with purple GM varieties.
“Working with GM tomatoes that are different to normal fruit only by the addition of a specific compound, allows us to pinpoint exactly how to breed in valuable traits,” said Professor Cathie Martin from the John Innes Centre.
The research could also lead to GM varieties with better flavour, health and shelf life characteristics because even higher levels of the compounds can be achieved.
In research to be published in Current Biology, Martin and colleagues studied tomatoes enriched in anthocyanin, a natural pigment that confers high antioxidant capacity. The purple GM tomatoes have already been found to prolong the lives of cancer-prone mice and in the latest findings they also more double the normal shelf life of tomatoes from an average of 21 days to 48 days.
“Post-harvest losses due to rotting are such a serious problem for growers and supermarkets that even an increased shelf life of one day would make an enormous difference to them,” said Yang Zhang, lead author from the John Innes Centre.
One way to improve shelf life is to pick tomatoes early when they are still green and induce them to ripen artificially with ethylene. However, this results in loss of flavour. Another method is to grow varieties that never fully ripen, but these also never develop a full flavour.
In the current study, anthocyanins were found to slow down the over-ripening process that leads to rotting and softening, achieving a tomato with a long shelf life and full flavour. The purple tomatoes were also less susceptible to one of the most important postharvest diseases, grey mould caused by Botrytis cinerea.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Botswana: Tomatoes Give Setlhare Booston January 12, 2021 at 8:05 am
Mr Vusumuzi Setlhare, 53, has found a niche in tomato production and from the look of things there is no going back.
- UP farmers export 30 metric tonnes of green chillies, tomatoes to B'desh, Nepalon January 11, 2021 at 11:27 pm
Farmers from Ghazipur district have exported 30 metric tonnes of green chillies and tomatoes to Bangladesh and Nepal.
- Jason Momoa's 10 Best Performances, According To Rotten Tomatoeson January 11, 2021 at 9:52 am
In recent years, Jason Momoa has been making waves. Years after scoring his first entertainment gig as a Baywatch star, the Hawaiian-born actor went to portray some of the most badass roles we’ve seen ...
- Rosamund Pike's Best Movies, Ranked (According To Rotten Tomatoes)on January 11, 2021 at 9:52 am
Rosamund Pike first rose into prominence playing the Bond villainess Miranda Frost in Pierce Brosnan's final 007 outing, Die Another Day. Since then, she has had a very consistent ...
- WONDER WOMAN 1984 Manages To Regain Fresh Status On Rotten Tomatoes With 60% Scoreon January 11, 2021 at 6:23 am
Wonder Woman 1984's Rotten Tomatoes score fell to 59%, and the sequel was dubbed "Rotten," as a result. Now, it's managed to return to "Fresh" status, but can it stay there this time?
- "Rotten Tomatoes Is Wrong" About... National Treasureon January 10, 2021 at 7:59 pm
Indiana-Jones romp National Treasure end up at the green end of the Tomatometer? It’s the kind of mystery that only… well… Nic-Cage-as-Indiana-Jones – a.k.a. treasure hunter and history buff Ben Gates ...
- Wonder Woman 1984 Certified Fresh Score Turns Rotten on Rotten Tomatoeson January 9, 2021 at 9:25 am
Weeks after its initial release Wonder Woman 1984 has dropped significantly on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics have continued to weigh in on Wonder Woman 1984 and the verdict is not great. The sequel ...
- Wonder Woman 1984 Drops To Rotten Score On Rotten Tomatoeson January 9, 2021 at 8:11 am
After two weeks in release, Wonder Woman 1984's downward trajectory continues, and it's now rated Rotten on Rotten Tomatoes.
- Wonder Woman 1984 Drops to "Rotten" on Rotten Tomatoeson January 8, 2021 at 7:47 pm
Wonder Woman 1984 is no longer "Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. Days after the highly anticipated sequel lost its coveted "Certified Fresh" status, the Patty Jenkins film has been downgraded to "Rotten" on ...
- Wonder Woman 1984 Is Now Rotten on Rotten Tomatoeson January 8, 2021 at 5:18 pm
The Tomatometer score for Wonder Woman 1984 has been steadily decreasing, and has now reached the point where the film is deemed Rotten.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Have your say on gene editing as Government consultation openson January 7, 2021 at 5:39 am
The consultation will focus on stopping certain gene edited (GE) organisms from being regulated in the same way as genetic modification (GM), as long as they could have been produced naturally or ...
- Environment department scientist calls for biotechnology debateon January 7, 2021 at 2:45 am
Gideon Henderson says debate needed on GM crops and gene editing of plants and animals ...
- Sea Scallops with Spinach and Grape Tomatoeson January 6, 2021 at 4:01 pm
In a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add the tomatoes, cover and steam over moderately high heat for 1 minute. In a shallow bowl, mix 3 tablespoons of ...
- Every Bradley Cooper movie, ranked according to criticson January 5, 2021 at 6:22 am
Bradley Cooper has achieved many milestones over his two decades in Hollywood: eight Oscar nominations, the People’s Sexiest Man Alive crown, a No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, and a beloved ...
- GM diet: Know all about the diet plan that promises weight loss in just seven dayson January 4, 2021 at 8:41 pm
GM diet stands for General Motors diet, which claims to help one lose weight--up to 15 pounds or 6.8 kgs--in just one week ...
- GM tomatoes could be alternative for Parkinson's patientson January 4, 2021 at 7:03 pm
Scientists have produced a genetically modified tomato enriched with the drug L-DOPA which is used to compensate dopamine in Parkinson's patients.
- 25 years on, what is the legacy of Dolly the Sheep, and what future for GM food?on January 1, 2021 at 10:07 pm
In the last in a series on milestone anniversaries in politics and cultural history, produced with Huddersfield University, we recall the controversy generated by the first genetically modified food ...
- Trying to Follow Jeffrey Lurie's Cloudy Accountability Trailon December 30, 2020 at 3:10 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Tomato-tomato with the emphasis on a different letter is ... Was J.J. Arcega Whiteside's college production the tipping point for the now-Jets GM or the current Eagles one? You get the ...
- Global Tomato Ketchup Market (2020 to 2025) - Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecaston December 28, 2020 at 3:49 am
Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused, comprehensive and tailored research. CONTACT: ResearchAndMarkets.com Laura Wood, Senior Press Manager [email protected] ...
- GMO Alarm: Dangers, benefits of genetically modified foodson December 28, 2020 at 2:41 am
“What is genetically modified food?” all seemed to ask ... There is a time when you harvest a certain species of tomato that is optimised. We don’t know these things; we are doing everything ...