Attention, steak eaters: We are nearing a livestock crisis.
With the planet expected to add another 2 billion people by 2050, it will be more difficult and more expensive than ever to keep eating poultry, fish, and beef at nearly every meal.
To meet global demand, the food industry could crank up the factory-food production model, but, as Arnold van Huis, a professor of tropical entomology at Wageningen University and Research Center, warns, “this puts heavy pressure on already limited resources of land, fertilizers and energy, while greenhouse gas emissions, deforestation, and environmental degradation will increase.” And it would do little to keep the cost of chicken, pork, beef, and fish under control.
There is a environmentally friendlier, more economical alternative, although it’s one that is high on the ick factor. We could introduce protein-rich insects into our diets.
Glen Courtright, a systems engineer and entrepreneur, is betting on the bugs. The Yellow Springs (Ohio)-based company he founded, EnviroFlight, has pioneered over the past three years a new bio-conversion facility powered by millions of mating black soldier flies and tens of millions of their wriggly offspring. The business is in the larvae.
“At our plant we can produce a few million black soldier fly eggs daily,” Courtright says. “That’s about 2,000 tons of a formulated animal feed every year.” For years, conservationists have been keen to exploit the voracious appetite of the black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens) to speed up composting of food wastes. Anglers know the species for their pupae, which make ideal bait. Chicken and pigs like the fatty, protein-rich larvae, too. EnviroFlight is among the first to industrialize the production of black soldier fly larvae to introduce a sustainable, chemical-free, protein-rich feed source for the food-processing industry. It’s part of a larger movement to tap insects (PDF) as a plentiful, more energy-efficient feed substitute that, it is hoped, could wean the food industry off the use of potentially harmful hormones and antibiotics to increase yields.
The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) recently warned that global food production must increase 60 percent by 2050 to keep up with population growth. “Every 12 days we can produce 225 pounds of clean safe feed ingredients for aquaculture, poultry, and crustacea—that’s the holy trinity of fish, shrimp, and chicken—in a three-foot-by-five-foot space. You can grow the equivalent of one of me every 12 days,” says Courtright.
The Latest Bing News on:
Insects for feed stock
- The Mission of Birdson June 6, 2022 at 4:40 am
In Europe, the analogous species with our own, called the Bibio marci, is known to feed upon ... larvæ of this insect live together in large swarms, are exceedingly numerous, the parent being very ...
- Be on alert for spotted lanternfly in Vermonton June 6, 2022 at 3:50 am
This is due to the risk of egg masses being accidentally brought in on shipments of nursery stock imported from other states that may have an established spotted lanternfly (SLF) ...
- Insect management in the Mid-South: What to know for 2022on June 3, 2022 at 4:10 am
It’s true every year is different in farming, but in the Midsouth, you can almost always count on insect pressure creating potential problems. We caught up with Whitney Crow, row crop entomologist ...
- Gardening Nature's Way: Spot the spotted lanternfly before it’s too lateon June 2, 2022 at 9:06 pm
Spotted lanternfly sounds like an attractive garden guest, but the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is asking everyone to stay vigilant and eliminate it on sight. Although Lycorma delicatula is ...
- Invasive species meet their match: lab-raised killer bugson June 2, 2022 at 4:05 pm
The exotic insects are intentionally set free into the wild to provide biological control against invasive species.
- Edible Insect Food Market Overview By Share, Size, Industry Players, Revenue And Product Demand Forecast Till 2023on May 31, 2022 at 2:14 am
there is an escalated demand for edible insect food due to their ability to convert feed to consumable food more efficiently. Additionally, rising demand of protein from emerging middle class is ...
- Gerald Almy: Strategies for catching tailwater trouton May 30, 2022 at 9:00 pm
Tailwaters are like massive spring creeks. Impounding the rivers upstream enhances the nutrient content of the water, creating rich habitat for the fish and a year-round growing season. Water is ...
- Asian longhorned beetle infestation puts 76 square miles of Charleston, Dorchester in quarantineon May 27, 2022 at 12:00 pm
About 76 square miles of Charleston and Dorchester counties are under a federal quarantine for the Asian longhorned beetle.
- Are lygus bugs developing a taste for fababeans?on May 26, 2022 at 8:26 pm
Increased lygus bug pressure in Saskatchewan fababean crops could be a sign of things to come. Lygus is a significant concern in fababeans because the ...
- Crickets to Lead the Insect Protein Market in Terms of Demand by 2027, Suggests a Latest Market Study from BIS Researchon May 26, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Increasing demand for protein-rich products, sustainable raw material, and their contribution to the circular economy are some of the major factors that are expected to contribute to the growth of the ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Insects for feed stock
The Latest Bing News on:
Black soldier fly eggs
- How do you fix GTA Online Not Connecting? Common issues and fixeson June 7, 2022 at 4:23 pm
A lot of players have been diving into Grand Theft Auto Online for the first time over the last several months since the standalone version launched in March, however, some newer updates can cause ...
- SE Stock: Compelling, but Has Problems to Fixon June 7, 2022 at 3:44 pm
On an accounting principle basis, SE reported an unadjusted net loss of $422 million versus $580 million last year. All of the company's underlying segments are doing very well. Selling online has ...
- 5 Ways to Fix Amazon Prime Gaming When it’s Not Workingon June 7, 2022 at 11:00 am
Is Amazon Prime Gaming not working on your device? Try the most effective methods listed here to get things up and running in no time.
- Stuck With the “Getting Windows Ready” Error? Here Are Five Ways to Fix It for Goodon June 7, 2022 at 10:29 am
These are as follows: A slow internet speed or an interruption in your network ... If everything goes right, your computer will be back without any issues. Startup Repair is a free, handy tool that ...
- For creators, the Internet is broken: here’s how to fix iton June 7, 2022 at 2:00 am
In most parts of the world today, access to the Internet is increasingly seen as a human right, says Erki Koldits, CEO at POPSPOT. Koldits adds that the Internet plays host to the web`s vast ...
- How to fix Destiny 2 ‘Stuck On Signing In’ error message when trying to log onon June 6, 2022 at 1:48 pm
While players don’t have very many options when trying to resolve log-in issues for Destiny 2, there are a couple steps they can follow that will at least give them a better cha ...
- Proposed ‘repair’ bill goes too faron June 6, 2022 at 8:30 am
Rep. Mondaire Jones (D-N.Y.) is a fresh, diverse voice in Congress and I am excited he is running for a new seat in the city. But I’m also pretty disappointed he is sponsoring legislation that ...
- How to Fix the "This Publisher Has Been Blocked From Running Software" Error in Windows 10 & 11on June 5, 2022 at 8:15 am
When you try to install a new application, Windows verifies the file certificate to validate its authenticity. If the application is considered unsafe, it will block the installation and show you the ...
- How to Fix the ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE Error on Google Chrome for Windowson June 5, 2022 at 7:15 am
Chrome is the most popular browser in the world, but even it has its issues. Here's how to fix the ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE error in Windows.
- 3 Ways to Fix Valorant’s Chat Room When it’s Not Connectingon June 4, 2022 at 11:00 pm
If you come across the chat room not connected error in Valorant, try the solutions here that have benefited the maximum users.