American consumers gained considerable knowledge and power when a huge Medicare database was recently distributed to the public in easy-to-understand language.
The data revealed what many patients have long suspected – hospitals charge Medicare tremendously different prices for the same procedures.
According to The New York Times, for example, “in Saint Augustine, Fla., one hospital typically billed nearly $40,000 to remove a gallbladder using minimally invasive surgery, while one in Orange Park, Fla., charged $91,000 [and] … in one hospital in Dallas, the average bill for treating simple pneumonia was $14,610, while another there charged over $38,000.”
This wasn’t the first time that a freshly unearthed government database bolstered the average consumer. Earlier this spring, the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) released detailed – but fully understandable – data that showed which banks have the most consumer complaints. The CFPB had previously issued data on credit card complaints; but now it has broadened its data distribution to include customer protests about mortgages, student loans, credit scores, and other products.
As Bloomberg Businessweek, noted, the CFPB database has already had an impact on improving consumer service: “Response times have sped up by 3 percent since the database came online … And banks are giving more customers a break: The number of credit-card cases Capital One Financial, Citigroup, American Express, and GE Capital Retail Bank have resolved in clients’ favor rose 12.9 percent in the past six months.”
The Medicare and CFPB data disclosures are huge wins for the open-data movement, which seeks to democratize a vast treasure trove of accumulated government data. That consumers can now command equal footing with big, established, and often opaque institutions like banks or hospitals, is yet another reason to support open data.
The Latest Bing News on:
Open Data Movement
- Q&A: Commercialization of open source for today’s economyon November 21, 2022 at 12:41 pm
Especially for early-stage fintech firms, commercial open source unlocks revenue strategies that allow startups to build grassroot engagement without the sales and qualifications processes.
- Rates Keep Falling Even as Data and Fed Try to Talk Them Upon November 17, 2022 at 2:18 pm
It was an interesting day for the bond market in terms of apparent inputs for rate movement and the actual movement ... Slightly stronger to open, then losing a bit of ground after retail sales data.
- Airbyte’s Data Engineering Conference Focuses on Best Practices, New Tools and Workflows to Improve Data Movementon November 17, 2022 at 9:35 am
Airbyte, creators of the fastest-growing open-source data integration platform, today announced its online move(data) conference will be December 7 and 8. The free ...
- Airbyte's Data Engineering Conference Focuses on Best Practices, New Tools and Workflows to Improve Data Movementon November 17, 2022 at 9:07 am
"Move Data" free event December 7-8 to include 40 speakers over 8 hours Airbyte, creators of the fastest-growing open-source data integration platform, today ...
- Airbyte’s Data Engineering Conference Focuses on Best Practices, New Tools and Workflows to Improve Data Movementon November 17, 2022 at 9:04 am
SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Airbyte, creators of the fastest-growing open-source data integration platform, today announced its online move(data) conference will ...
- Ethereum price weakens near key support, but traders are afraid to open short positionson November 16, 2022 at 9:59 am
ETH price hovers at a key support level and while it is softening, data shows pro traders are reluctant to go short.
- Savings Account Rates Today: November 16, 2022—Rates See Some Movementon November 16, 2022 at 6:14 am
Rates on the full range of savings accounts are mixed compared to a week ago as the Federal Reserve raises interest rates. In the market for an account where you can park some cash? Here’s a look at ...
- 2 'dark ships' were spotted near the Nord Stream pipeline leaks days before the explosions were detected, satellite data analysis firm sayson November 14, 2022 at 8:07 am
Two ships with their trackers turned off sailed near the leak sites of the Nord Stream 2 pipelines just days before the pipelines were ripped open by subsea explosions, a satellite data analysis ...
- Opendoor Technologies Inc.’s (OPEN) Stock Is Harder To Predict Than You Thinkon November 12, 2022 at 8:32 am
Opendoor Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ:OPEN) price on Friday, November 11, rose 8.90% above its previous day’s close as an upside momentum from buyers pushed the stock’s value to $2.08. A look at the ...
- Cryptocurrency The Open Network Down More Than 5% Within 24 hourson November 10, 2022 at 6:02 am
Over the past 24 hours, The Open Network's (CRYPTO:TON) price has fallen 5.69% to $1.49. This continues its negative trend over the past week where it has experienced a 9.0% loss, moving from $1.59 to ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Open Data Movement
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Open Data Movement” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]
The Latest Bing News on:
- Comet Introduces Kangas, An Open Source Data Analysis and Debugging Toolon November 23, 2022 at 11:54 pm
The company stated in a press release that the product aims to democratise real-time data exploration and analysis for the ML community and computer vision.
- Aussie Fintech Nine25 Releases First-to-market Open Payroll Data Platformon November 23, 2022 at 10:49 pm
Aussie fintech Nine25 today announced its partnership with cloud-based payroll platform, KeyPay, launching a first-to-market open payroll data and Salary Streaming™ platform. Nine25 is a world-first ...
- UAE: Dentist To Pay Dh70,000 In Fines, Compensation For Stealing Hospital's Data, Patients To Open Personal Clinicon November 23, 2022 at 10:09 pm
A dentist who illegally took confidential information of a hospital where he worked, including data, addresses and phone contacts of patients has been fined Dh20,000. The man had used the information ...
- How Open Financial Data is Revolutionising the Financial Services Industryon November 22, 2022 at 7:39 am
Financial institutions are beginning to explore the next stage in the financial data revolution, Open Finance.
- Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) Market Analysis Research Report, Challenges, Scopes, Market Share, Revenue, and Forecasts 2022 to 2028on November 21, 2022 at 9:50 am
Nov 21, 2022 (The Expresswire) -- " Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) Market " Research Report gives detailed facts with consideration to market size, cost revenue, trends, growth, capacity and ...
- Wall St set to open lower after mixed economic data, hawkish Fed commentson November 17, 2022 at 6:22 am
(Reuters) -U.S. stock indexes were set to open lower on Thursday as mixed economic data and hawkish comments from a Federal Reserve official spurred concerns that the ...
- Comet Introduces Kangas, An Open Source Smart Data Exploration, Analysis and Model Debugging Tool for Machine Learningon November 16, 2022 at 6:00 am
Comet, provider of a leading MLOps platform for machine learning (ML) teams from startup to enterprise, announced a bold new product: Kangas. Open sourced to democratize large scale visual dataset ...
- Watch: The Value of an Open Ecosystem for Freight Dataon November 13, 2022 at 9:25 pm
John Rattay, chief revenue officer of Redwood Logistics, explains how an integrated and open ecosystem of freight data can help companies cope with the many challenges of today. Driven by intensifying ...
- Directus nabs $7M to build an open data platform for the enterpriseon November 10, 2022 at 8:44 pm
Directus, the developer of an open-source data management platform for the enterprise, today announced that it has raised $7 million in new funding to focus on growing its no-code app that can be ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
[google_news title=”” keyword=”Open Data” num_posts=”10″ blurb_length=”0″ show_thumb=”left”]