In a move that would make the Alchemists of King Arthur’s time green with envy, scientists have unraveled the formula for turning liquid cement into liquid metal.
This makes cement a semi-conductor and opens up its use in the profitable consumer electronics marketplace for thin films, protective coatings, and computer chips.
“This new material has lots of applications, including as thin-film resistors used in liquid-crystal displays, basically the flat panel computer monitor that you are probably reading this from at the moment,” said Chris Benmore, a physicist from the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE)Argonne National Laboratory who worked with a team of scientists from Japan, Finland and Germany to take the “magic” out of the cement-to-metal transformation. Benmore and Shinji Kohara from Japan Synchrotron Radiation Research Institute/SPring-8 led the research effort.
This change demonstrates a unique way to make metallic-glass material, which has positive attributes including better resistance to corrosion than traditional metal, less brittleness than traditional glass, conductivity, low energy loss in magnetic fields, and fluidity for ease of processing and molding. Previously, only metals have been able to transition to a metallic-glass form. Cement does this by a process called electron trapping, a phenomena only previously seen in ammonia solutions. Understanding how cement joined this exclusive club opens the possibility of turning other solid normally insulating materials into room-temperature semiconductors.
“This phenomenon of trapping electrons and turning liquid cement into liquid metal was found recently, but not explained in detail until now,” Benmore said. “Now that we know the conditions needed to create trapped electrons in materials we can develop and test other materials to find out if we can make them conduct electricity in this way.”
The Latest Bing News on:
Turning cement into metal
- Column: A lot of faith and cooperation went into expanded Hesed House homeless shelteron January 15, 2021 at 12:20 pm
COVID-19 upheaval suddenly created the need for far more space for Hesed House in Aurora. And so, within weeks, a plan was formed to greatly expand the shelter, but it took the quick cooperation of a ...
- Woman turns rundown garage into a cosy home pubon January 15, 2021 at 3:09 am
The industrial style pub is the brainchild of Emily Barratt, who has explained exactly how she created the home tavern ...
- He escaped the cacophony by strapping on snowshoes and slipping into the Great North Woodson January 14, 2021 at 7:12 pm
Up here, at the tiptop of the Granite State — 80 miles north of the White Mountains, where tourists scream down powdery slopes on skis each year — an older, slower winter wonderland awaits travelers.
- How police failures let a violent insurrection into the Capitolon January 13, 2021 at 8:48 am
Decisions made long before rioters stormed Congress cast the die for the security collapse, which played out in critical points analyzed by USA TODAY.
- North America Concrete Cellulose Fiber Reinforcement Market by Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast to 2026on January 4, 2021 at 9:44 pm
Selbyville, Delaware As per the report titled 'North America Concrete Cellulose Fiber Reinforcement Market Size ...
- Unsung hero: Dale Brownfield helps keep Canton skateboardingon January 1, 2021 at 2:06 am
The now 50-year-old Canton resident raised his daughter as a skateboarder, driving out of state to find more than prefabricated, metal ramps ... "It's turning into a place that people travel ...
- How Dead Rockets Could Save An Aging International Space Stationon December 28, 2020 at 9:43 am
The idea isn’t new, but no company has taken concrete steps to test the ... about how Nanoracks plans to turn dead rocket parts into something useful for future space (and Earth) missions.
- Stronger earnings seen for companies in basic materials sectoron December 22, 2020 at 5:12 pm
PETALING JAYA: RHB Research sees the basic materials sector as a “reflation trade play” heading into 2021 ... with buy calls on Press Metal, CMS and Malayan Cement, which are seen to ...
- Dog with untreated tumours abandoned outside sanctuaryon December 16, 2020 at 11:31 pm
They calmly approach the main gates of the compound in Finglas before dropping the dog’s lead over a metal barrier ... as the two turn and walk away, before breaking into a trot when they ...
- Concrete Couch turning old Colorado Springs dump site into community-designed parkon October 8, 2020 at 1:46 pm
But most people aren't Steve Wood, founder and executive director of Concrete Couch ... little land and turn it into a place to relish and enjoy and recreate. That’s such a gift." ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Turning cement into metal
The Latest Bing News on:
- The superconductor breakthrough that could mean an energy revolutionon January 13, 2021 at 10:38 am
We’ve finally made a room-temperature superconductor, so materials that transport electricity without wasting any of it are within our grasp ...
- A Self-Healing, Stretchable Electronic Skinon January 12, 2021 at 3:59 pm
The methods used by the team – notably using a dynamically cross-linked blend of polymer semiconductor and ... of 5.75×10^5 at full strain. At room temperature, even with fracture strains ...
- Green energy: How to increase the efficiency of solar cellson January 12, 2021 at 2:30 am
Max Planck scientists publish their findings in the journals Nature Communications and Nano Energy How to increase the efficiency of solar cells and thus pave the way for a higher usage of green ...
- Archer Materials welcomes publication of Australian Semiconductor Sector Studyon January 10, 2021 at 6:10 pm
Semiconductors are commonly referred to as ‘chips ... qubit processor chip technology that Archer aims to build for quantum computing operation at room-temperature and integration onboard modern ...
- UNF physics lecturer receives U.S. Patenton January 7, 2021 at 9:28 am
Nirmalkumar Patel, a University of North Florida physics associate lecturer, received a U.S. Patent for his sensor invention that detects toxic vapors and odors in hazardous gases, industrial toxic ...
- UNF instructor receives US patent for toxic gas sensorson January 7, 2021 at 7:47 am
These gas sensors can operate at room temperature and do not require any ... previous UNF patent on nanocrystalline indium tin oxide semiconductor thin film gas and odor sensors.
- Putty-like composites of gallium metal with potential for real-world applicationon January 5, 2021 at 2:09 am
Gallium is designated as a technologically critical element, as it is essential for the fabrication of semiconductors and transistors ... very low melting point and is a liquid at just above room ...
- Putty-like composites of gallium metal with potential for real-world applicationon January 4, 2021 at 6:13 am
Gallium is designated as a technologically critical element, as it is essential for the fabrication of semiconductors ... and is a liquid at just above room temperature (30 °C).
- Prototype Microprocessor Developed Using Superconductors – 80 Times More Energy Efficienton January 3, 2021 at 8:06 am
Researchers from Yokohama National University in Japan have developed a prototype microprocessor using superconductor devices that are about 80 times more energy efficient than the state-of-the-art ...
- Fluorinated h-BN as a magnetic semiconductoron January 2, 2021 at 4:00 pm
This unconventional magnetic semiconductor material could spur studies of stable ... Our experimental observations show room temperature ferromagnetism in F-BN, and temperature-dependent ac magnetic ...