A new “telerehabilitation” approach lets physical therapists assess patients with low back pain (LBP) over the Internet
A new “telerehabilitation” approach lets physical therapists assess patients with low back pain (LBP) over the Internet, with good accuracy compared with face-to-face examinations, reports a study in the May 15 issue of Spine. The journal is published by Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, a part of Wolters Kluwer Health.
Taking advantage of Skype and other widely-used services may make telerehabilitation a more feasible alternative to in-person clinic visits, according to the new research by Prof. Manuel Arroyo-Morales and colleagues of University of Granada, Spain. They believe their results “give preliminary support to the implementation of web-based LBP assessment systems using video recordings that can be evaluated by different therapists.”
Can Back Pain Assessments Be Performed Over the Internet?
The researchers designed and evaluated a web-based telerehabilitation system for performing routine clinical assessments of patients with LBP. The telerehabilitation setup operated across a low-bandwidth Internet connection between two personal computers equipped with webcams.
The system included the popular Skype videoconferencing service, allowing the patient and physical therapist could see and talk to each other in real time. The therapist guided the patient in performing specific movements, and captured video clips for analysis using video motion analysis software (Kinovea). The therapist and patient were also able to complete standard back pain questionnaires using the web-based system.
Fifteen patients with chronic LBP underwent two assessments in random order: once face-to-face and once using the telerehabilitation setup. Accuracy was assessed by comparing the results of telerehabilitation assessment with those of in-person assessment.
The results showed good agreement between the two evaluations, supporting the use of telerehabilitation for clinical assessment of LBP. There was good correlation for measures made on video motion analysis, such as spine mobility and back muscle endurance; as well as questionnaire-based assessments such as disability, pain, and health-related quality of life.
Skype and Other Tools Make Telerehabilitation More Feasible
The telerehabilitation setup showed consistent results for the same therapist at different times (intra-rater reliability) as well as for assessment by independent therapists (inter-rater reliability).
The Latest Bing News on:
- Telerehabilitation Safe, Effective for Severe Hemophilia Patients: Studyon July 27, 2022 at 12:06 pm
Respondents said drawbacks to the telerehabilitation program included the lack of home exercise equipment and one-on-one supervision.
- Telerehabilitation Services Market – In developing novel rehabilitation solutions is expected to boost the growth of the marketon July 21, 2022 at 4:01 am
The Global Telerehabilitation Services Market is estimated to be valued at $ 357.5 million in 2020 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 15.0% % during the forecast period (2020-2027).
- Telerehabilitation Cuts Musculoskeletal Pain, Improves Functionon July 17, 2022 at 1:54 pm
“Telerehabilitation for [musculoskeletal] MSK conditions may produce similar or even better pain-, functional-, and health-related quality of life outcomes than usual care, but most ...
- Telerehabilitation Versus Traditional Centre-Based Pulmonary Rehabilitation for People With Chronic Respiratory Diseaseon July 16, 2022 at 5:00 pm
This study will compare both the clinical- and cost-effectiveness of delivering pulmonary rehabilitation via telerehabilitation, using readily available consumer devices and equipment, to a ...
- Telerehabilitation Market Developments, Top Players, Growth, Trends, Industry Analysis, Opportunity Forecast to 2026on July 13, 2022 at 5:00 pm
In-depth analysis of various insights, namely, Telerehabilitation Market trends, growth drivers, opportunities, and other related challenges. Comprehensive details of key market players ...
- Telerehabilitation Reduces Pain, Improves Function for People With Musculoskeletal Needson July 10, 2022 at 9:57 am
“Telerehabilitation for MSK conditions may produce similar or even better pain-, functional-, and health-related quality of life outcomes than usual care, but most telerehabilitation studies ...
- Virtual Rehabilitation And Telerehabilitation Systems Market Scope And Overview, Growth, Opportunities, Key Players And Forecast Outlook 2028on July 4, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Jul 05, 2022 (Heraldkeepers) -- Market size and share analysis of the worldwide Virtual Rehabilitation and Telerehabilitation Systems Industry The Virtual Rehabilitation and Telerehabilitation ...
- Telerehabilitation Market Size, Share, Growth Status, Prominent Players, and Forecast 2028on July 3, 2022 at 11:29 pm
Jul 04, 2022 (Heraldkeepers) -- Modern forms of rehabilitation services delivered via interactive technologies include telerehabilitation, often known as e-rehabilitation, and telehealth.
- Virtual Rehabilitation and Telerehabilitation Systems Market Report 2022-2028, Industry Growth Opportunity, and Forecaston July 1, 2022 at 2:49 am
The Virtual Rehabilitation and Telerehabilitation Systems research report examines manufacturing processes and cost structures as well as development strategies and tactics. In this report ...
- Telerehabilitation Services Market expected to expand in the near future due to current developments | TMR Research Studyon June 29, 2022 at 5:00 pm
The telerehabilitation system is for patients who live far from actual centers of rehabilitation. It also decreases the regular visits of patients to hospitals and rehabilitation facilities ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- OIG Warns Health Care Practitioners About Fraud Schemes With Telemedicine Companies in Special Fraud Alerton August 1, 2022 at 11:10 am
On July 20, 2022, the HHS Office of Inspector General (OIG) issued a Special Fraud Alert cautioning physicians and other health care practitioners to use “heightened scrutiny” when enterin ...
- Signant Launches Major Telemedicine Platform Innovations to Optimize Remote and Decentralized Clinical Trial Operationson August 1, 2022 at 9:10 am
"Release 6.0 includes important strategic updates that continue to position Signant SmartSignals Telemedicine as a leading platform for video-enabled engagement between sites and patients, ...
- Office of Inspector General warns against telemedicine fraudon August 1, 2022 at 7:53 am
The OIG says some Telemedicine Companies intentionally paid physicians and non-physician practitioners kickbacks to generate orders or prescriptions for medically unnecessary equipment, testing, or ...
- How can telemedicine aid the monkeypox health emergencyon July 31, 2022 at 12:19 am
Jamaica confirmed its second case of monkeypox after the first case was announced a few days earlier on July 6. The second confirmation comes one day after the World Health ...
- NGOs bring telemedicine to the doorsteps of the tribals in Gujarat's hinterlandon July 29, 2022 at 5:45 am
The programme was launched on Thursday in association with US-based software services provider, Evolko, as a technology partner. It will be executed across some 25 villages of the Dang district of ...
- How one healthcare startup is betting on telemedicine and mobile clinics to remodel patient care in rural Americaon July 28, 2022 at 9:35 am
Homeward, founded by former Livongo executives, is building in-person and telehealth models to support rural communities access to healthcare.
- North East Ambulance Service to extend telemedicine trialon July 28, 2022 at 3:33 am
North East Ambulance Service is extending its NHS England-funded telemedicine project, to support faster, more effective stroke care in the region.
- Wellness at workplace: Why corporate companies must leverage telemedicine to facilitate their employee’s health?on July 28, 2022 at 3:19 am
Being healthy has often been associated with the absence of diseases and not the overall state of wellbeing of an employee. Apart from physical health, mental health, for example, has always been an ...
- SHL Telemedicine bolsters its US Advisory Board as the growth of its SmartHeart® solution accelerateson July 27, 2022 at 7:00 am
Dr. Kimberly J. Henderson, MD, JD, Assistant Medical Professor of emergency medicine at the Ichan School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, and Dr.
- Ovidiu Tuduruță (Beesers App): Telemedicine services will continue to growon July 25, 2022 at 4:15 am
Healthcare - Ovidiu Tuduruță, Founder of Beesers, the first app in Romania that facilitates the delivery of healthcare services to patients in the comfort of their own ...