Most Americans want the U.S. to place more emphasis on developing solar power, recent polls suggest.
A major impediment, however, is the cost to manufacture, install and maintain solar panels. Simply put, most people and businesses cannot afford to place them on their rooftops.
Fortunately, that is changing because researchers such as Qiaoqiang Gan, University at Buffalo assistant professor of electrical engineering, are helping develop a new generation of photovoltaic cells that produce more power and cost less to manufacture than what’s available today.
One of the more promising efforts, which Gan is working on, involves the use of plasmonic-enhanced organic photovoltaic materials. These devices don’t match traditional solar cells in terms of energy production but they are less expensive and – because they are made (or processed) in liquid form – can be applied to a greater variety of surfaces.
Gan detailed the progress of plasmonic-enhanced organic photovoltaic materials in the May 7 edition of the journal Advanced Materials. Co-authors include Filbert J. Bartoli, professor of electrical and computer engineering at Lehigh University, and Zakya Kafafi of the National Science Foundation.
The paper, which included an image of a plasmonic-enhanced organic photovoltaic device on the journal’s front page, is available at:http://bit.ly/11gzlQm.
Currently, solar power is produced with either thick polycrystalline silicon wafers or thin-film solar cells made up of inorganic materials such as amorphous silicon or cadmium telluride. Both are expensive to manufacture, Gan said.
His research involves thin-film solar cells, too, but unlike what’s on the market he is using organic materials such as polymers and small molecules that are carbon-based and less expensive.
“Compared with their inorganic counterparts, organic photovoltaics can be fabricated over large areas on rigid or flexible substrates potentially becoming as inexpensive as paint,” Gan said.
The reference to paint does not include a price point but rather the idea that photovoltaic cells could one day be applied to surfaces as easily as paint is to walls, he said.
The Latest Bing News on:
- What are the key factors driving the global Thin-Film Encapsulation Market? Fortune Business Insightson January 13, 2021 at 10:55 am
Request a Sample Copy of the Global Market Research Report Some of the Major Companies in the Global Thin-Film Encapsulation Market are: Toray Industries, Inc. Meyer Burger Technology Ltd. Angstrom ...
- Thin Film Photovoltaic Market Growth Status, Analysis, Opportunities, Size, Business Trends, Incremental Revenue and Strategieson January 10, 2021 at 8:33 pm
Market Analysis The global thin film photovoltaic market is predicted to grow at a whopping 28.36% CAGR between 2018- ...
- TESDA's TALA Project brings light to remote village in Lake Sebuon January 6, 2021 at 3:54 am
A photovoltaic system includes a solar panel ... opportunities for livelihood and employment with trainings such as baking, welding, carpentry, organic agriculture, organic chicken raising, organic ...
- Herbicide added to organic solar cells to boost efficiencyon January 6, 2021 at 3:03 am
KAUST team roll on with solar perovskite production For organic photovoltaics to become a realistic replacement for fossil fuels, they must improve their efficiency when converting the fraction of ...
- Impurities boost performance of organic solar cellson January 5, 2021 at 6:54 am
For organic photovoltaics to become a realistic replacement for fossil fuels, they must improve their efficiency when converting the fraction of incident solar energy to electrical energy.
- Ultra-Thin Solar Cell Is Waterproof, Stretchable for Repeated Wash and Useon December 25, 2020 at 4:00 pm
(Source: RIKEN) For their work, researchers used thin and flexible organic photovoltaic cells based on a material called PNTz4T, which they had developed in earlier research. They deposited the device ...
- Silicon Metal Market Size USD 7345.5 Million by 2026 at CAGR 6.6% | Valuates Reportson December 21, 2020 at 8:37 am
The rising adoption of polycrystalline silicon in the production of solar photovoltaic cells is expected ... Industry Metallurgical Foundry Industry, Organic Silicon Chemical Industry, High ...
- PLASTIC SOLAR CELL MARKETon December 21, 2020 at 2:10 am
Plastic Solar Cell is also known as an organic solar cell. It is a kind of photovoltaic that uses organic electronics, a branch of electronics for light absorption and charges transport that deals ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Painted on solar cells
- Measuring outdoor performance in perovskiteson January 18, 2021 at 10:37 pm
Scientists in Spain and Colombia took a closer look at the degradation mechanisms affecting perovskite solar cells, and developed a new, high throughput method to characterize their performance in an ...
- World’s First Solar EV, Sion by Sono, Breaks Cover as Pre-Production Prototypeon January 16, 2021 at 10:34 pm
One of the big surprises of this year’s virtual Consumer Electronics Show was the official introduction of the pre-production prototype Sion from Sono Motors, dubbed the first SEV or solar EV in the ...
- Sono Motors Unveils Next Gen Solar EV Prototype - Surprising Audience with Solar Traileron January 14, 2021 at 9:00 am
Sono Motors, the Company that seeks to revolutionize the future of solar-powered transportation, successfully unveiled the next frontier for its polym ...
- This reality TV star was mad at Warren Buffett for blocking solar. So he made a movieon January 14, 2021 at 6:00 am
Jonathan Scott, from HGTV's "Property Brothers," says power companies across the country want to stop you from going solar.
- Polyvinyl Butyral Market: Regional Analysis and Business Opportunity and Global Scope by Forecast 2019 to 2025on January 13, 2021 at 7:46 pm
Market Research Future Published a Half-Cooked Research Report on Polyvinyl Butyral Market Report – Global Forecast till ...
- World’s oldest painting of animals discovered in an Indonesian caveon January 13, 2021 at 11:51 am
A painting showing three pigs has been discovered in an Indonesian cave. At more than 45,000 years old, it is the oldest known painting of animals anywhere in the world ...
- Sono Motors plans to license the tech that powers its solar electric caron January 12, 2021 at 1:42 pm
Sono Motors wants to bring technology it developed for its solar electric car to the masses. And it’s starting with autonomous shuttle startup EasyMile. The German-based startup said Tuesday during a ...
- What is driving the mass wave of solar manufacturer capacity expansions?on January 11, 2021 at 3:56 am
The China-based PV manufacturing industry has been in a massive capacity expansion phase since 2019. This intensified in the first quarter of 2020 but had eased off through the year, but the ...
- CES 2021: ‘Solar EV for the masses’on January 7, 2021 at 2:05 pm
Solar technology electric vehicle (EV) company Sono Motors will launch the next generation prototype of the Sion, its “Solar EV for the masses”, at CES 2021. Marking one year since it closed one of ...
- Samsung TV remotes are solar-powered for 2021 Neo QLED modelson January 6, 2021 at 9:21 am
A solar cell on the back lets them recharge using indoor (and outdoor) light. Don't worry, there's a USB-C charging port too.