Solar engineers from UNSW have developed an innovative method to dramatically improve the quality of low-grade silicon, promising to significantly improve electrical efficiency and reduce the cost of solar panels.
The UNSW team has discovered a mechanism to control hydrogen atoms so they can better correct deficiencies in silicon – by far the most expensive component used in the making of solar cells.
“This process will allow lower-quality silicon to outperform solar cells made from better-quality materials,” says Scientia Professor Stuart Wenham from the School of Photovoltaics and Renewable Energy Engineering at UNSW.
Standard commercial silicon cells currently have a maximum efficiency of around 19%. The new technique, patented by UNSW researchers earlier this year, is expected to produce efficiencies between 21% and 23%, says Wenham.
“By using lower-quality silicon to achieve higher efficiencies, we can enable significant cost reductions,” he says.
The solar industry has long been focused on bringing down the cost of silicon. However, cheaper silicon also means lower-quality silicon, with more defects and contaminants that reduce efficiency.
It’s been known for several decades that hydrogen atoms can be introduced into the atomic structure of silicon to help correct these defects, but until now, researchers have had limited success in controlling the hydrogen to maximise its benefits or even understanding why this happens.
“Our research team at UNSW has worked out how to control the charge state of hydrogen atoms in silicon – something that other people haven’t previously been able to do,” says Wenham.
Hydrogen atoms can exist in three ‘charge’ states – positive, neutral and negative. The charge state determines how well the hydrogen can move around the silicon and its reactivity, which is important to help correct the defects.
“We have seen a 10,000 times improvement in the mobility of the hydrogen and we can control the hydrogen so it chemically bonds to things like defects and contaminants, making these inactive,” says Wenham.
The UNSW team currently has eight industry partners interested in commercialising the technology, and is also working with manufacturing equipment companies to implement the new capabilities.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Integra Resources Provides Update on Pre-Feasiblity Study and 2021 Exploration Plan at the Delamar Projecton January 21, 2021 at 5:36 am
Exploration drilling underway at the Black Sheep target and Florida Mountain Deposit, marking the first winter exploration program at the DeLamar Project.The 2021 exploration drill program at DeLamar ...
- Tammin Sursok gives update on her husband Sean McEwen's battle with COVIDon January 18, 2021 at 4:59 pm
It's been like that for 48 hours. So I don't know if it's a low-grade fever,' she said. 'Our doctor says he's going through post-viral part of Covid. He is really exhausted. He is sleeping almost ...
- Tissue stiffness likely drives immune responses in many chronic diseaseson January 12, 2021 at 8:03 am
the lungs and their blood vessels can double in stiffness with age), Winer says it's likely that the interaction with the immune system contributes to the low-grade chronic inflammation that fuels ...
- Engel booth features multi-cavity medical demonstrationon January 4, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Another trend in medical processing is a broad range of capabilities, such as liquid silicone rubber (LSR ... A production free of post-processing, with low-grade flash, is required. “ The membranes ...
- Silicon Dioxide Market 2021 Overview, Industry Top Manufactures, Market Size, Industry Growth Analysis & Forecast: 2023on December 29, 2020 at 6:40 am
Low-grade silicon dioxide is used as a building material in the construction industry, whereas additional or extra high-purity silicon dioxide (99.999% SiO2) is solely used for high-end processes ...
- Evergold Corp. (EVER.V)on August 17, 2020 at 2:52 pm
along strike, and up to 1,400 feet down dip.In the vicinity of the Rockland Mine, drilling by BHP in the late 1980s returned relatively shallow, broad intercepts of low-grade mineralization ...
- Low-grade manganese ore indices leapfrog 44% price on pent up demandon April 27, 2020 at 8:05 am
The low-grade seaborne manganese ore price in China rocketed by 32.1% week on week on Friday April 24 after some buyers accepted the first offer made since South Africa went into lockdown on March 26.
- Black Madam: Amber Rose hired me to plump her posterioron May 11, 2019 at 5:44 am
Windslowe is charged with third-degree murder in the death of the 20-year-old Aderotimi, who was injected with low-grade silicone at a Philadelphia airport hotel. Doctors have told jurors during ...
- Dangers of foreign breast implantson October 11, 2018 at 4:17 am
The owner of PIP was arrested in the South of France last month, charged with using low-grade silicone in his implants. "The implants that are made in the U.S. are approved by the FDA and inside ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Asia Hedge Funds Back Solar Power for Supersized Gainson January 27, 2021 at 4:10 am
Solar energy is back in favor with hedge funds. The sector was among the best investments in 2020 for Asia-based managers including LyGH Capital, Pinpoint Asset Management, Sylebra Capital and Zaaba ...
- Scientists develop perovskite solar modules with greater size, power and stabilityon January 27, 2021 at 3:05 am
Researchers have created perovskite solar modules with improved stability and efficiency by using a new fabrication technique that reduced defects.
- Floating Solar Panel Market Study 2020 by Technological Growth, Future Growth, Top Companies and Impact of COVID-19 by Regional Forecast To 2027on January 27, 2021 at 2:21 am
A new report published, titled "Floating Solar Panel Market: Global Demand Analysis & Opportunity Outlook 2027" delivers detailed overview of the floating solar panel market in terms of market ...
- Kerala Solar Panel Scam: Mallelil Sreedharan Nair demands CBI probeon January 27, 2021 at 12:39 am
In the ongoing investigation in the 2013 Kerala Solar Panel Scam case, Mallelil Sreedharan Nair, the plaintiff of the case on Wednesday demanded the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to take up ...
- Green roofs, solar panels and digital monitoring: How the world's buildings are changingon January 27, 2021 at 12:24 am
As governments and businesses seek to increase economic productivity and reduce their carbon footprint, the built environment will need to change. Here, CNBC takes a look at key features of three ...
- Emory Installs 6,530 Solar Panels Across Campuson January 26, 2021 at 9:57 pm
Emory has installed 6,530 solar panels atop eight buildings and parking decks as part of a sustainability initiative to transition 10% of campus energy sources to renewable energy by 2025. In the ...
- Global Thin Film Solar Cell Equipment Market 2020 Upcoming Trends, Latest Innovation, Advance Technology and Top Companies to 2025on January 26, 2021 at 6:39 pm
Global Thin Film Solar Cell Equipment Market 2020 by Manufacturers, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 concentrates on the historical and current market growth at both the global and regional ...
- High temperatures and a diamond anvil could lead to a solar cell breakthroughon January 26, 2021 at 12:42 pm
There's still more work to be done, but this is an exciting breakthrough in materials science for better solar cells.
- Korean Scientists Invest Transparent Solar Panels to Be Used on Phoneson January 26, 2021 at 11:07 am
A team of scientists led by a Korean professor invented new transparent solar panels that can eventually be used to charge smartphones. Professor Joondong Kim and his colleagues from the Incheon ...
- Sono Motors and EasyMile embed solar cells in driverless shuttleon January 26, 2021 at 3:28 am
At the online-only CES 2021 earlier this month, German mobility startup Sono Motors revealed a collaboration with EasyMile to install its solar technology on driverless shuttles. Now we have a few ...