The soon-to-be-tested SKWID system will be the first one to do both
There are already a wide variety of renewable energy systems that harness the power of the wind, along with some that generate power via the flow of ocean currents. According to Japanese engineering firm MODEC (Mitsui Ocean Development & Engineering Co.), however, its soon-to-be-tested SKWID system will be the first one to do both.
SKWID stands for Savonius Keel and Wind Turbine Darrieus. This is appropriate, as it’s an anchored floating platform that contains both a Savonius tidal turbine below the waterline, and a Darrieus vertical-axis wind turbine up in the air. The two are connected by a central gearbox/generator, allowing the SKWID to generate power from the currents, the wind, or both. Additionally, the rotation of the tidal turbine can be used to help get the wind turbine spinning, when breezes are light and it needs a bit of extra inertia.
The design of the Darrieus turbine is such that it can spin to the left or to the right, so it works regardless of the wind direction. The tidal turbine spins in just one direction, but it does so irrespective of the direction of the current. It is reportedly able to harness even the weakest of currents, and is not affected by marine growth on its half-cyclinder-shaped buckets/blades. Additionally, because it spins no faster than the current, it is claimed to be safe for marine life.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Halo Infinite Fans Think Fan-Favorite Character May Be Returningon January 1, 2021 at 4:17 pm
Halo fans think a fan-favorite character may return when Halo Infinite releases this fall via the Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, and PC. While we already know Master Chief, Escharum, and ...
- Floating Wind Turbine Harvests Energy From Ocean Currentson November 23, 2020 at 4:00 pm
SKWID (Savonius Keel & Wind Turbine Darrieus) from Mitsui Ocean Development & Engineering Company (MODEC) promises to convert power from offshore winds, as well as from the ocean itself, into usable ...
- Modec Incon October 31, 2019 at 7:22 pm
extraordinary loss relating to skwid, floating wind and current hybrid power generation system, increase in corporate income tax and loss from Brazil-based subsidiary.FY 2014 revenue of 301,730 ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Renewable energy systems
- Hong Kong: Solar energy scheme openson January 14, 2021 at 11:37 pm
Solar Energy Support Scheme for Schools & Welfare Non-Governmental Organisations opened for a new round of applications today. The scheme aims to promote the development of local renewable energy. It ...
- The Need for Decentralized Renewable Energy with Data Monetizationon January 14, 2021 at 6:53 pm
By Mathew Fontana Today’s world - we can agree - is filled with as many opportunities as there are challenges. This holds especially true with respect to t ...
- Time for a Responsible Clean Energy Supply Chainon January 14, 2021 at 10:42 am
Renewable energy needs to be sourced responsibly and cleanly. Hypocrisy has long been a component of U.S. foreign policy. The Capitol riot doesn’t change that. To stop drug traffickers, criminals, and ...
- OZSC: Ozop Energy Systems Announces New Director of Business Developmenton January 14, 2021 at 7:18 am
(GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Ozop Energy Solutions. ( OZSC ), (“Ozop” or the “Company”), is pleased to announce the hiring of Mr. Allen Sosis as the new Director of Business Development for its subsidiary Ozop ...
- Mitsubishi Power Emerges as 2020 Market Share Leader in the Americas for Energy Storage of All Durationson January 13, 2021 at 10:50 pm
Mitsubishi Power has claimed the number one market share position in the Americas in 2020 with orders for 151,000 megawatt hours (MWh) of energy storage capacity of all durations. The all-duration ...
- One Renewable Energy Stock Is About to "Leapfrog" the Whole Industryon January 13, 2021 at 2:08 pm
One renewable energy stock is soaring over the rest as society warms up to wind and solar power. This is a renewable energy stock to buy sooner than later.
- Cuomo promotes new efforts to expand renewable energy in New Yorkon January 13, 2021 at 10:30 am
We must replace fossil fuel power with clean energy power. There is no ifs ands or buts about it, and now is the time to do it,’’ the governor said.
- Looking For The Best Renewable Energy Stocks Right Now? 2 Up 100%+ Since Last Weekon January 13, 2021 at 10:12 am
Are These The Top Renewable Energy Stocks To Watch? 3 To Consider. Renewable energy stocks have been rising stars on the stock market. With all that is going on with the world, it ...
- Ann Arbor must look beyond city borders to meet 100% renewable energy goalon January 12, 2021 at 2:16 pm
An assessment of solar energy potential in Ann Arbor showed about 78 megawatts could be installed, and that won't be enough.
- Are These The Top Renewable Energy Stocks To Buy This Week?on January 11, 2021 at 9:54 am
Top Renewable Energy Stocks To Buy [Or Avoid] This Week. Renewable energy stocks have been gaining a lot of momentum in the last few years. There is no denying that renewable ener ...