The soon-to-be-tested SKWID system will be the first one to do both
There are already a wide variety of renewable energy systems that harness the power of the wind, along with some that generate power via the flow of ocean currents. According to Japanese engineering firm MODEC (Mitsui Ocean Development & Engineering Co.), however, its soon-to-be-tested SKWID system will be the first one to do both.
SKWID stands for Savonius Keel and Wind Turbine Darrieus. This is appropriate, as it’s an anchored floating platform that contains both a Savonius tidal turbine below the waterline, and a Darrieus vertical-axis wind turbine up in the air. The two are connected by a central gearbox/generator, allowing the SKWID to generate power from the currents, the wind, or both. Additionally, the rotation of the tidal turbine can be used to help get the wind turbine spinning, when breezes are light and it needs a bit of extra inertia.
The design of the Darrieus turbine is such that it can spin to the left or to the right, so it works regardless of the wind direction. The tidal turbine spins in just one direction, but it does so irrespective of the direction of the current. It is reportedly able to harness even the weakest of currents, and is not affected by marine growth on its half-cyclinder-shaped buckets/blades. Additionally, because it spins no faster than the current, it is claimed to be safe for marine life.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Real-Time OS Basics: Picking The Right RTOS When You Need Oneon July 4, 2022 at 5:00 pm
When do you need to use a real-time operating system (RTOS) for an embedded project? What does it bring to the table, and what are the costs? Fortunately there are strict technical definitions ...
- Kate Marilleyon June 8, 2022 at 5:00 pm
The new musical RUBIES with book and lyrics by Dennis Hanrahan and music by Laura I. Kramer (A Letter To Harvey Milk) will get an invite-only industry presentation on Friday, June 10. AT THIS ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
No news articles
The Latest Bing News on:
Renewable energy systems
- Lowes Hits Emissions Goal Early, Increases Renewable Energy Useon July 7, 2022 at 8:31 am
Lowe’s has reduced its Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 42% over the past five years and cut its energy use by more than 10% last year in part by increasing the amount of renewable energy it uses in its ...
- BayWa r.e. and Sitetracker Cooperate on Renewable Energy Infrastructure Managementon July 7, 2022 at 6:46 am
Sitetracker, the leading deployment operations management software for critical infrastructure providers, will help enable BayWa r.e.’s Power Solutions team with its deployment of photovoltaic (PV) ...
- 7 Best Renewable Energy Stocks to Buy in July 2022on July 7, 2022 at 6:26 am
Climate change concerns have accelerated the shift from fossil fuels to green energy sources, putting the best renewable energy stocks in the limelight.
- Load shedding relief: Mantashe given renewable energy ultimatumon July 7, 2022 at 5:26 am
Civil society groups have threatened to get President Ramaphosa to force Mantashe to introduce renewable energy to the grid.
- Energy enters a perilous era of supply chain riskson July 7, 2022 at 4:25 am
As the energy sector becomes more connected, cyber risks that cut across the global supply chain are becoming a greater threat.
- Soaring demand for electricity and coal shows why we need nuclear energyon July 7, 2022 at 4:00 am
BP released its annual Statistical Review of World Energy and the report shows, yet again, that electricity is the world’s most important and fastest-growing form of energy. In 2021, ...
- Azure Power becomes the first Renewable Energy company in India to be SA8000 certifiedon July 7, 2022 at 4:00 am
Azure Power (NYSE: AZRE), a leading sustainable energy solutions provider and renewable power producer in India, announced that it has been awarded SA8000:2014 certification, an international standard ...
- Ige signs bills aimed at fighting climate change, encouraging renewable energyon July 7, 2022 at 3:05 am
Another bill, HB 2089, amends the definition of “renewable portfolio standard” to mean a percentage ... It also reduces the allocation that the energy systems development special fund receives from ...
- Outlook on the Demand Response Management Systems Global Market to 2035 - Commercial Buildings Offer Huge Market Potential for Demand Responseon July 7, 2022 at 1:38 am
The "Demand Response Management Systems (DRMS) - Global Market Trajectory & Analytics" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering. Demand Response Management Systems (DRMS) represents ...
- Sustainable Marine partners with Portugal's blueOASIS to answer clean energy Call to Action' by Small Island Developing States (SIDS)on July 6, 2022 at 11:38 pm
Highlights New strategic partnership delivering a range of SIDS-appropriate marine renewable energy solutions Addressing the needs of island and coastal communities articulated during the laun. . .