Amid concerns over the potential health effects of existing flame retardants for home furniture, fabrics and other material, scientists are reporting development of an “exceptionally” effective new retardant that appears safer and more environmentally friendly.
Their report on the first-of-its-kind coating, ideal for the polyurethane foam in couches and bedding that causes many fire deaths, appears in ACS Macro Letters.
Jaime Grunlan and colleagues explain that upholstery furniture and mattresses are the items that ignite in about 17,000 fires each year, causing more than 870 deaths, thousands of injuries and millions of dollars in property loss. Since the polyurethane foam in these items is highly flammable, consumer protection agencies have issued stringent safety standards to reduce flammability. But health and environmental concerns exist over some of the traditional flame retardants that manufacturers add to meet those standards. Grunlan’s team thus set out to develop safer, more environmentally benign flame retardants.
They describe successful development and laboratory testing of a new flame retardant coating for polyurethane foam. The “nanocoating” is so thin that 1,000 layers of it would fit across the width of a human hair, and it is made with a relatively benign polymer that creates a “gas blanket,” preventing oxygen from fueling a fire. It is the first flame retardant that both reduces the heat released from fire and prevents the foam from dripping and spreading flames to the rest of the room or house. “The heat release reductions are significant and likely would slow fire growth in real world fire scenarios, giving people more time to escape or to put out the foam, thus, preventing flashover events,” the report says.
The Latest Bing News on:
World Wide Web
- He created the Web. Now he’s out to remake the digital world.on January 23, 2021 at 5:08 am
Tim Berners-Lee devised simple yet powerful standards for locating, linking and presenting multimedia documents online. He set them free into the world, unleashing the World ...
- World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee says Australia's plan to force Google to pay for news content is 'unworkable' and undermines 'fundamental principle' of the interneton January 20, 2021 at 5:57 am
Canberra is pursuing world-first laws that would require digital giants including Google and Facebook to compensate Australian news organisations ...
- World Wide Web inventor opposes Australia's news payment plan for tech giantson January 19, 2021 at 5:48 pm
World Wide Web inventor Tim Berners-Lee says Australia's plan to force digital giants to pay media outlets for news content is "unworkable" and ...
- World Wide Web Inventor Opposes Australia's News Payment Planon January 19, 2021 at 3:22 pm
Lee says Australia's plan to force digital giants to pay media outlets for news content is "unworkable" and undermines a "fundamental principle" of the internet. Canberra is pursuing world-first laws ...
- ‘Unworkable around the world’: Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web, is the latest internet all-star to slam Australia’s media bargaining codeon January 19, 2021 at 2:59 pm
Lee, the inventor of the World Wide Web, told a Senate committee that Australia's proposed media bargaining code risks "breaching a fundamental principle of the web".
- Australia's proposed media code could break the world wide web, says the man who invented iton January 19, 2021 at 8:46 am
Tim Berners-Lee says the plan to make Google and Facebook pay for news content undermines the web’s ‘fundamental principle’ ...
- Creator Of World Wide Web Says Internet Needs ‘Do-Over’on January 13, 2021 at 10:57 am
Lee has revealed more about his new internet privacy startup Inrupt, describing it as offering a ‘do-over’ for the internet. Berners-Lee, best known for the creation of the world wide web, launched ...
- Father of 'World Wide Web' wants to remake cyberspaceon January 13, 2021 at 2:03 am
Lee, inventor of World Wide Web wants to fix some of the problems that have handicapped the so-called open web ...
- World Wide Web's father wants to remake cyberspace all over againon January 12, 2021 at 4:47 am
This new, updated web will enable the kind of person-to-person sharing and collaboration that has helped make the big social media services so successful while leaving the user in control." ...
- Facebook’s Sheryl Sandberg, CNN's Christiane Amanpour and World Wide Web inventor Sir Tim Berners-Lee join Reuters Nexton January 6, 2021 at 12:32 pm
Sheryl Sandberg, COO of Facebook; Christiane Amanpour, CNN’s Chief International Correspondent and Sir Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web and CTO of Inrupt, were today announced as new he ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
World Wide Web
The Latest Bing News on:
Fix the internet
- ‘When older people are upset, you fix it’ — this Florida journalist has helped hundreds book COVID-19 vaccinationson January 23, 2021 at 9:18 am
In Florida, many seniors are struggling to get the COVID vaccine, so this local journalist is helping them book appointments ...
- Android Auto 101: Fix the Google Play Services Error in a Matter of Secondson January 23, 2021 at 6:30 am
Since it’s developed by Google, Android Auto is integrated with a series of services belonging to the Mountain View-based search giant, and this is the reason some of the bugs you might come across ...
- Call of Duty Mobile Not Working? 5 Methods To Fix The Issueon January 23, 2021 at 1:19 am
If you're one of those players for whom Call of Duty mobile is not working, then try these quick solutions to solve the problem right now.
- Opinion: To Fix Gaps, New York Must Map Internet Coverageon January 22, 2021 at 8:44 am
The state’s digital divide stems from a lack of data on the availability and cost of high-speed broadband Internet statewide, which is why Gov. Andrew Cuomo should sign the Comprehensive Broadband ...
- Drupal releases fix for critical vulnerability with known exploitson January 22, 2021 at 6:07 am
Drupal has released a security update to address a critical vulnerability in a third-party library with documented or deployed exploits available in the wild.
- NY must map broadband internet coverage so it can fix gaps (Commentary)on January 21, 2021 at 8:09 am
AARP, Public Utility Law Project urge Gov. Andrew Cuomo to sign a bill mandating collection of such data at a deeper level than feds require.
- Web’s inventor says news media bargaining code could break the internet. He’s right — but there’s a fixon January 20, 2021 at 6:43 pm
The code could require Google and Facebook to pay up for simply including links to news articles from other sites. This has never been a requirement on the web.
- The Internet Is a Crime Sceneon January 20, 2021 at 10:56 am
How we conceptualize the role social media played in the Capitol siege will set the stage for information governance across the globe.
- How to Fix ‘Res IEFrame DLL ACR_Error.HRM’ Error in Internet Explorer?on January 18, 2021 at 9:59 am
Some Windows users are reporting that they end up seeing the 'Res IEFrame DLL ACR_Error.HRM' error whenever they attempt to reopen a previously closed ...
- The inventor of the internet wants to give back control of your dataon January 13, 2021 at 9:11 am
Using the internet has given us access to many things, but we've also lost control of our data. Can the father of the internet give it back?