Universal access to modern energy could be achieved with an investment of between 65 and 86 billion US dollars a year up until 2030, new research has shown.
The proposed investments are higher than previous estimates but equate to just 3-4 per cent of current investments in the global energy system.
The findings, which have been presented today, 3 May, in IOP Publishing’s Environmental Research Letters, also include, for the first time, the policy costs for worldwide access to clean-combusting cooking fuels and stoves by 2030.
Access to electricity and clean-combusting cooking fuels and stoves could combat the estimated four million deaths a year from household air pollution caused by traditional cooking practices.
In their study, the researchers calculate that improved access to modern cooking fuels could avert between 0.6 and 1.8 million premature deaths in 2030 and enhance well being substantially.
The international group of researchers estimate that an additional generation capacity of between 21 and 28 gigawatts would be required to provide a modest amount of electricity to all rural households. This is less than the annual additions to generation capacity being made by China alone. They estimate this will cost around 180 to 250 billion dollars over the next 20 years with dedicated policies and measures also needed.
Added to this will be the policy costs to help ease the transition to clean cooking for more than 40 per cent of the world’s population. The policies would include subsidies supporting the costs of new fuels, new stoves, and improved biomass stoves. The researchers estimate the costs to be in the region of 750 to 1000 billion dollars over the next 20 years.
Lead author of the paper, Dr Shonali Pachauri, a researcher at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) in Laxenburg, Austria, said: “Our analysis indicates that without new policies and efforts, universal access to modern energy will not be achieved by 2030. Actually, for cooking, the situation may even worsen.
“The scale of investment required is small from a global perspective, though it will require additional financing for nations that are least likely to have access to sources of finances. But the benefits could be enormous.
The Latest Bing News on:
Universal access to energy
- Nigeria Requires $4bn to Provide Clean Energy Annually - Govton January 13, 2021 at 9:17 pm
The federal government stated yesterday that Nigeria would require $4 billion every year to provide Nigerians with universal access to sustainable, clean and renewable energy.
- FG: Nigeria Requires $4bn to Provide Clean Energy Annuallyon January 13, 2021 at 4:15 pm
By Emmanuel Addeh The federal government stated yesterday that Nigeria would require $4 billion every year to provide Nigerians with universal access to sustainable, clean and renewable energy.
- Nigeria Requires $4bn Annually To Deepen Access To Renewable Energy–Ministeron January 12, 2021 at 9:53 am
The Minister of State for Power, Goddy Jedy Agba has said that Nigeria requires $4bn to deepen access to renewable energy. The Minister who spoke at a virtual global power sector conference, on Tuesda ...
- Five Reasons to Be Optimistic About Clean Energy in 2021on January 11, 2021 at 3:52 pm
Five reasons to be optimistic are: clean energy is a smart investment; there is growing momentum for carbon neutrality; clean energy can power a green recovery that leaves no one behind and is in line ...
- Nigeria: Universal energy accesson January 4, 2021 at 11:18 pm
Some 86 million people in Nigeria live in extreme poverty. Many have no running water, electricity or adequate sanitation. The government now wants to ensure that everyone has access to a clean toilet ...
- Clean energy set to grow in 2021on January 4, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The energy sector, still dominated by fossil fuels, is the largest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions. We know people and nations need reliable sources of energy to power hospitals and light ...
- ‘Growing momentum’ to make 2021 global action year for sustainable energyon January 2, 2021 at 5:12 pm
In a bid of optimism for the new year, the UN Development Programme (UNDP) expressed confidence that clean energy would grow in 2021. Despite ...
- OPINION: Delays in critical finance for energy access push development goals further off trackon December 29, 2020 at 12:00 am
Closing these gaps and achieving universal energy access by 2030, as called for by Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), will require significant investment. The International Energy Agency ...
- PH urged to step up investments in clean energyon December 25, 2020 at 4:00 pm
The statement was released along with the “Regional Energy Trends Report 2020 ... targets under SDG 7 in the areas of ensuring universal access to electricity and clean cooking, increasing ...
- Ensure energy access for those left behindon December 23, 2020 at 8:36 am
Over the past two years, Kenya has been celebrating important progress in efforts to realise Universal Energy Access by the government’s 2022 target, well before the Global 2030 SDG target.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Universal access to energy
The Latest Bing News on:
- ‘AirBnB for electric cars’ aims to end worries over access to chargerson January 14, 2021 at 6:08 am
A new AirBnb-sytle app that connects EVs owners with each other could help end problems with access to chargers, according to its creators.
- Outrigger Energy II Announces Completion of its Williston Basin Midstream Facilitieson January 14, 2021 at 5:56 am
Outrigger Energy II LLC (“Outrigger”) announced today that it has completed construction of its Williston Basin midstream facilities project in ...
- The Energy 202: Nonviolent climate activists reconsider protest tactics in Capitol after mob attackon January 14, 2021 at 5:16 am
Nonviolent protests have always been a staple of climate activism on Capitol Hill. Now the attack on Congress by a pro-Trump mob is forcing environmental activists to reconsider what tactics they will ...
- Harvest Announces Listing of Harvest Clean Energy ETFon January 14, 2021 at 4:48 am
CNW/ - Harvest Portfolios Group Inc. ('Harvest') is pleased to announce the completion of the initial offering of ...
- Obsidian Energy Provides Compelling Reasons why Bonterra Shareholders Should Tender their Shares to the Offeron January 14, 2021 at 4:00 am
PRNewswire/ - OBSIDIAN ENERGY LTD. (TSX: OBE) (OTCQX: OBELF) ("Obsidian Energy" or the "Company") today provided Bonterra Energy Corp.
- Commentary: Energy is so reliable and available, some think we no longer require iton January 14, 2021 at 1:32 am
The oil and gas industry has done such a good job of creating abundant, affordable, always-available energy that the world takes it for granted.
- Op-Ed: Urging Speaker Coughlin, Assembly to pass vital clean-energy measureon January 13, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Community activists urge New Jersey Speaker and Assembly members to follow Senate lead and pass the Clean Energy Equity Act.
- Carbon Trust launches Energy Efficiency Accelerator for ASEAN food and beverage companieson January 13, 2021 at 3:55 pm
ASEAN Energy Efficiency Accelerator (the Accelerator) to support businesses across Southeast Asia scale up energy efficiency improvements. Set to run until March 2022 the Accelerator will primarily ...
- Shining a new light on dark energyon January 13, 2021 at 1:13 pm
The Dark Energy Survey has released a massive, public collection of astronomical data and calibrated images from six years of work. Containing data on nearly 700 million astronomical objects, this ...
- Renewable Energy Transition Key to Addressing Climate Change Challengeon January 13, 2021 at 9:15 am
Clean and renewable energy was the focus of discussion of this weeks COP26 Virtual Roundtable on Clean Power Transition.