New research from the University of Southampton shows that copper and copper alloys will rapidly destroy norovirus – the highly-infectious sickness bug.
The virus can be contracted from contaminated food or water, person-to-person contact, and contact with contaminated surfaces, meaning surfaces made from copper could effectively shut down one avenue of infection.
Worldwide, norovirus is responsible for more than 267 million cases of acute gastroenteritis every year. There is no specific treatment or vaccine, and outbreaks regularly shut down hospital wards and care homes, requiring expensive deep-cleaning, incurring additional treatment costs and resulting in lost working days when staff are infected. Its impact is also felt beyond healthcare, with cruise ships and hotels suffering significant damage to their reputation when epidemics occur among guests.
Professor Bill Keevil, Chair in Environmental Healthcare at the University of Southampton and lead researcher, presented his work at the American Society for Microbiology‘s 2013 General Meeting last week. The presentation showed norovirus was rapidly destroyed on copper and its alloys, with those containing more than 60 per cent copper proving particularly effective. The contamination model used was designed to simulate fingertip-touch contamination of surfaces.
Professor Keevil from the University’s Institute for Life Sciences says: “Copper alloy surfaces can be employed in high-risk areas such as cruise ships and care homes, where norovirus outbreaks are hard to control because infected people can’t help but contaminate the environment with vomiting and diarrhoea.
The Latest Bing News on:
Copper destroys norovirus
- PloS oneon December 2, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Characterisation of the pathogenic effects of the in vivo expression of an ALS-linked mutation in D-amino acid oxidase: Phenotype and loss of spinal cord motor neurons.
- Best Infection Prevention Products 2021on November 25, 2021 at 10:17 pm
It is designed to be effective against a comprehensive range of harmful bacteria and viruses including Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Norovirus ... UVC light it destroys more ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Copper destroys norovirus
The Latest Bing News on:
- Burden of disease and cost drops in Netherlands because of COVID-19 measureson December 7, 2021 at 8:00 pm
A large decline in the disease burden of 14 pathogens in the Netherlands in 2020 has been attributed to the COVID-19 pandemic. The National Institute for ...
- 65 cases of Norovirus reported till October 31 in India, Government tells Rajya Sabhaon December 7, 2021 at 4:18 am
Minister of State for Health Bharati Pravin Pawar said that 54 cases were from Wayanad and 11 from Alappuzha of Kerala ...
- 65 cases of Norovirus reported till October 31 in India, govt tells Rajya Sabhaon December 7, 2021 at 3:55 am
A total of 65 cases of Norovirus have been reported till October 31 in the country, of which 54 were from Wayanad and 11 from Alappuzha, Minister of State for Health Bharati Pravin Pawar informed the ...
- Students demand improved dining after failed Leo’s health standards, limited Thanksgiving accesson December 4, 2021 at 10:00 am
A health inspection revealed Leo O’Donovan Dining Hall is not in compliance with 10 of 56 D.C. health requirements for food service buildings, including cleanliness and food storage standards, ...
- China: Dozens of college students sickened with norovirus in Guangdong Provinceon November 30, 2021 at 4:09 am
NewsDesk @bactiman63 In Guangdong Province in southern China, hundreds of students at the Guangzhou Vocational and Technical University of Science and Technology have been stricken with symptoms ...
- Norovirus outbreak detected in Wyomingon November 29, 2021 at 2:30 am
You’re not alone, according to the Wyoming Department of Health. Numerous reports of illnesses in Wyoming appear to be related to a norovirus outbreak, which causes symptoms including nausea, vomiting ...
- Norovirus in Kerala: 57 norovirus cases suspected in Thrissuron November 28, 2021 at 11:48 pm
Norovirus in Kerala: Norovirus has reportedly infected 57 people including 54 students and three workers in a hostel of St. Mary’s College, Thrissur. The health officials suspect that the virus ...
- 57 Norovirus cases confirmed at college hostel in Thrissuron November 28, 2021 at 8:03 pm
Thrissur: A total of 57 people were diagnosed with Norovirus infection at the hostel of St Mary’s College here. The disease has been detected in 54 students and three employees of the hostel. A ...
- Norovirus: Karnataka districts on high alert, Govt issues guidelineson November 24, 2021 at 8:30 pm
Bengaluru: In the wake of the detection of 13 norovirus cases in Kerala, Karnataka has sounded an alert in the bordering districts of Kodagu and Dakshina Kannada. In a circular issued on Tuesday, the ...
- Karnataka on High Alert After Norovirus Outbreak in Keralaon November 24, 2021 at 6:21 am
The rare norovirus was reported among 13 students of a veterinary college at Pookode in Wayanad district of Kerala in October end.