Researchers at the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory flew their fuel cell powered Ion Tiger UAV for 48 hours and 1 minute on April 16-18 by using liquid hydrogen fuel in a new, NRL-developed, cryogenic fuel storage tank and delivery system.
This flight shatters their previous record of 26 hours and 2 minutes set in 2009 using the same vehicle, but with gaseous hydrogen stored at 5000 psi.
Liquid hydrogen is three times denser than 5000-psi compressed hydrogen. The cryogenic liquid is stored in a lightweight tank, allowing more hydrogen to be carried onboard to increase flight endurance. Success in flight requires developing a high quality, lightweight insulated flight dewar for the cryogenic fuel, plus matching the boil off of the cryogenic hydrogen to the vehicle fuel consumption.
“Liquid hydrogen coupled with fuel-cell technology has the potential to expand the utility of small unmanned systems by greatly increasing endurance while still affording all the benefits of electric propulsion,” said Dr. Karen Swider-Lyons, NRL principal investigator.
Although long endurance is possible with conventional, hydrocarbon-fueled systems, these are usually loud, inefficient, and unreliable in this aircraft class. Similarly, small, electric, battery-powered systems are limited to endurances of only several hours.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Don't Call It a Flying Car: Air Force Drone Transport Develops New Identityon July 6, 2022 at 9:30 am
The Air Force continues work on an electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) unmanned aircraft that may come in a range of sizes and support missions that can shuttle troops short distances across ...
- How to Invest in the Drone Industry Now: Diving in to the UAV ETFon July 5, 2022 at 1:14 pm
Company name] is held in the AdvisorShares Drone Technology ETF [NYSE ARCA:UAV], the only ETF dedicated to the drone economy. The AdvisorShares ...
- Medigus: ParaZero Signed a Non - Binding MOU to Provide Autonomous Safety Systems for Bon V Heavy Lift Cargo Droneson July 5, 2022 at 5:32 am
Bon V provides AI-powered, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), including multi-utility, heavy lift cargo vehicles. ParaZero will supply its autonomous safety systems for Bon V’s range of aerial logistics ...
- US Army to receive Penguin UAVson July 3, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Edge Autonomy (formerly UAV Factory) is to produce and deliver its Penguin UAV ... Other members of the Penguin family include an electric variant of the Penguin B and the Penguin C and C MIL fully ...
- Single-Rotor Drone: A Thrust-Vectoring Monocopteron July 3, 2022 at 5:00 pm
We’ll just go with “monocopter” for now and sort out the details later for this ducted-fan, thrust-vectored UAV. Whatever we ... is built around a 90-mm electric ducted fan mounted ...
- Proposed Air Taxi Regulations Reveal Possible Future of eVTOLon July 1, 2022 at 8:51 pm
What about autonomous air taxis—unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) with no pilots on board ... Sustainability is at the heart of the global electric air taxi movement, which aims to create ...
- Passenger Drones Market 2022 CAGR Value, Growth Opportunities, Upcoming Trends, Industry Size, Share, Revenue and Forecast to 2025on June 29, 2022 at 7:27 am
The use of UAVs, or drones, has been popular in recent ... builders have conducted short manned flights on experimental electric multi-rotor craft. In January 2016, the first commercially produced ...
- New aviation degree program is based in Winston-Salem. Program will be online with flight training at Smith Reynoldson June 28, 2022 at 4:00 pm
The group is focusing on what it calls next-generation technologies, including the commercialization of unmanned aircraft systems and electric vehicle takeoff and landing. ECSU will provide ...
- New aviation degree aimed at Triad students. Program will be online with flight training at Smith Reynolds.on June 28, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Elizabeth City State University, AeroX and Piedmont Flight Training have created an online aviation degree and flight-training program that will be based at Smith Reynolds Airport.
- Scotland trials drone-delivered school mealson June 24, 2022 at 1:44 am
Argyll and Bute Council and drone specialists Skyports are trialling the use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) in delivering school meals.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Small unmanned systems
- Cavan Solutions Inc. Awarded the FAA Systems Engineering and Technical Innovative Solutions (SETIS) Contracton July 6, 2022 at 12:19 pm
Cavan Solutions Inc, a proven provider of highly technical support services to the FAA and NASA, is pleased to announce that they have been awarded the FAA Systems Engineering and Technical Innovative ...
- Close Air Support with Unmanned Combat Aerial Systemson July 5, 2022 at 5:32 am
By James Eling “Strategy sometimes matters a lot.” John Mearsheimer The 2020 Defence Strategic Update (DSU), the most recent articulation of Australian military strategy, describes the objectives to ...
- DRDO conducts maiden flight of unmanned aircraft demonstratoron July 5, 2022 at 4:09 am
DRDO carried out a flight test of ABHYAS High speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur off the coast o ...
- India’s DRDO flies small flying wing designon July 5, 2022 at 12:39 am
India's Defence Research Development Organisation (DRDO) has conducted a test involving a flying wing unmanned air vehicle.
- Small UAV Market Share, Growth Insights 2022 Size, SWOT Analysis, CAGR Value, Regional Segmentations, and Future Trends Forecast to 2028on July 4, 2022 at 1:14 am
Global “ Small UAV Market ” report cover all crucial aspects of industry like market size, share, growth rate, revenue trends, business developments and new investment opportunities of industry. The ...
- Edge Autonomy to deliver Penguin unmanned aerial vehicles to the US Armyon July 3, 2022 at 11:12 pm
Edge Autonomy is excited to announce it will produce and deliver Penguin unmanned aerial vehicles to the U.S. Army. This partnership provides the Army with innovative unmanned aerial systems (UAS) and ...
- Explained: Features of the unmanned combat aircraft that India successfully testedon July 2, 2022 at 2:27 am
The demonstrator vehicle was tested at the Aeronautical Test Range located at Chitradurga in Karnataka on Friday.
- DRDO takes major step towards developing unmanned combat aerial vehicles: Explainedon July 2, 2022 at 2:14 am
DRDO successfully flight tested a scaled-down version of what will be India’s first stealth combat aerial vehicle – the Ghatak drone. This is a milestone for India’s indigenous defence programme.
- Small fleet of Cruise robotaxis blocked San Franciso streets for no apparent reasonon July 1, 2022 at 10:44 am
A test group of Cruise robotaxis in San Francisco simultaneously came to a halt and stopped traffic on city streets for several hours on Tuesday. The ...
- DRDO's unmanned plane makes successful maiden flighton July 1, 2022 at 8:56 am
Bengaluru: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on Friday successfully carried out the maiden flight of the indigenously developed unmanned aircraft at Chitradurga, Karnataka.