Where you are and what you’re doing increasingly play key roles in how you search the Internet. In fact, your search may just conduct itself.
This concept, called “contextual search,” is improving so gradually the changes often go unnoticed, and we may soon forget what the world was like without it, according to Brian Proffitt, a technology expert and adjunct instructor of management in the University of Notre Dame‘s Mendoza College of Business.
Contextual search describes the capability for search engines to recognize a multitude of factors beyond just the search text for which a user is seeking. These additional criteria form the “context” in which the search is run. Recently, contextual search has been getting a lot of attention due to interest from Google.
Utilizing contextual search, Google Now provides information based on location, and by accessing calendar entries and travel confirmation messages in Gmail accounts. Available on Android for the last six months, Google Now was just released for the iPhone/iPad platform.
“You no longer have to search for content, content can search for you, which flips the world of search completely on its head,” says Proffitt, who is the author of 24 books on mobile technology and personal computing and serves as an editor and daily contributor for ReadWrite.com, one of the most widely read and respected tech blogs in the world.
“Basically, search engines examine your request and try to figure out what it is you really want,” Proffitt says. “The better the guess, the better the perceived value of the search engine. In the days before computing was made completely mobile by smartphones, tablets and netbooks, searches were only aided by previous searches.
“Today, mobile computing is adding a new element to contextual searches,” he says. “By knowing where and when a search is being made, contextual search engines can infer much more about what you want and deliver more robust answers. For example, a search for nearby restaurants at breakfast time in Chicago will give you much different answers than the exact same search in Tokyo at midnight.”
Context can include more than location and time. Search engines will also account for other users’ searches made in the same place and even the known interests of the user.
“Someday soon,” Proffitt says, “you’ll watch a trailer of the latest romantic movie, and the next time you search for movie times at the local theater, that movie will be prominently displayed.”
Also on the horizon, contextual searches may be teamed up with the “Internet of Things,” a euphemism used to describe an inter-connected network of devices large and small, reporting data on what’s going on around them.
“Imagine a part in your car sending a malfunction signal that schedules your car for a repair appointment,” Proffitt says, “followed up by an automated function that checks your calendar online and schedules the appointment for you. Or, consider a hydro-sensor in your garden that sends you a message to let you know the plants need more water.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Parataxis Capital to Participate in the 2021 Context 365 “Megatrends & Trailblazers” Conferenceon January 13, 2021 at 4:55 pm
Parataxis Capital Management LLC, a multi-strategy investment manager focused on the digital asset sector, announced the Firms Chief Investment Officer, Thejas Nalval, will participate in the 2021 ...
- 'Search Party's Alia Shawkat & Showrunners Tease Dory's Psychological Torture in Season 4on January 13, 2021 at 3:12 pm
Search Party is delivering its own version of "Finding Dory" in its forthcoming fourth season over at HBO Max. The millennial comedy about privileged twenty-somethings takes an even darker turn as ...
- Summary - GIFMM Colombia: COVID-19 Joint Needs Assessment, December 2020on January 13, 2021 at 3:09 pm
English Assessment on Colombia about Education, Food and Nutrition, Epidemic and more; published on 13 Jan 2021 by GIFMM and R4V ...
- Oklahoma at No. 6 in AP Poll (plus, context)on January 12, 2021 at 6:16 pm
Oklahoma finished the 2020 season ranked No. 6 in the Associated Press Top 25. The Sooners began the year ranked No. 5 in the preseason, but never got back to that level after two early losses. Still, ...
- Search giant Baidu to make EVs with Chinese automaker Geelyon January 12, 2021 at 1:09 am
Baidu announced Monday that it will partner with automaker Geely to make smart EVs, expanding its push into a booming industry.
- #BizTrends2021: Search share of voice; an emerging trendon January 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Social share of voice has become an extremely popular measure of how much potential market share a brand has. Based on brand mentions, it gives you an accurate view of how many conversations people ...
- Alexa’s ‘Tell Me When’ skill combines reminders with contextual informationon January 9, 2021 at 5:44 am
Amazon has updated Alexa in the last month with a modified version of its popular reminders skill. You can now ask Alexa to “Tell me when” an event happens and your device will give you background ...
- Undergraduate courses searchon January 6, 2021 at 7:33 am
The year in industry is a one-year extension of the BSc Physics degree. A year in industry will put your academic studies into context, and improve your skills and your employability. This innovative ...
- What are the essential competencies for instructional designers?: The search for answers.on January 4, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The discipline of instructional design continues to evolve as new technologies, learning environments, models of how people learn, and professionals with different backgrounds enter the field.
- 5 Takeaways From Doug Marrone's Firing: Failed Era of Jaguars Football Deserves Contexton January 4, 2021 at 9:40 am
As the search for our new general manager continues ... Marrone's tenure was ultimately a failure, but history should remember the context of the Jaguars' organization during this era ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Divers resume sea search for crashed plane’s 2nd black boxon January 13, 2021 at 6:51 pm
An aerial search for victims and wreckage of a crashed Indonesian plane expanded Thursday as divers continued combing the debris-littered seabed looking for the ...
- Cancel platform Australia: Google seriously looks at pulling out its search engineon January 13, 2021 at 5:40 pm
Big tech is on a cancel binge. Now, the biggest of big tech, Google, seems to be seriously thinking of cancelling Australia through pulling all or part of its search engine from the country. It’s ...
- Do You Speak Sitemap? How to Talk With Search Engines for Better SEOon January 13, 2021 at 2:26 pm
It can be hard to get the attention of the large search engines. One of the ways to communicate with them is to provide a sitemap inviting their crawlers to see your content.
- Search in 2021: Five must knows for advertisers and marketerson January 13, 2021 at 6:19 am
Search in 2021 is set to be one of the most interesting years yet. Adthena's VP of Marketing highlights five must-knows for marketers and advertisers.
- Google admits to running 'experiments' which remove some media sites from its search resultson January 13, 2021 at 12:14 am
The tech giant says it is ‘running a few experiments that will each reach about 1% of Google Search users in Australia’ ...
- Google Search Console Adds Report For News Publisherson January 12, 2021 at 2:50 pm
A new report in Google Search Console will help news publishers measure the performance of their content with greater accuracy. “Today we are launching Google News performance reporting to help news ...
- YouTube Launches New Hashtag Search Results Pageson January 12, 2021 at 1:52 pm
YouTube is improving on its ability to search by hashtags with with the launch of dedicated results pages. YouTube is launching a new type of search results page that appears when users look for ...
- Google updates the Search Console coverage reporton January 11, 2021 at 7:58 am
Google announced it has made significant updates to the coverage report within Google Search Console. Google wrote the company is “rolling out significant improvements to this report so you’re better ...
- IPRally is building a knowledge graph-based search engine for patentson January 7, 2021 at 12:02 am
IPRally, a burgeoning startup out of Finland aiming to solve the patent-search problem, has raised €2 million in seed funding. Leading the round is JOIN Capital and Spintop Ventures, with ...
- Search Engine Land, SMX name Carolyn Lyden content leadon January 6, 2021 at 1:00 pm
Having an experienced practitioner leading the content and programming of Search Engine Land and SMX will only mean more high-quality and actionable content for the communities we serve.