An event as historic as the Navy’s first catapult of a manned aircraft, which occurred in Nov. 1915
Northrop Grumman Corp. and the U.S. Navy made carrier-capable unmanned aircraft history by catapulting the X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System (UCAS) demonstrator from the deck of the USS George H.W. Bush (CVN-77).
The launch occurred at 11:18 a.m. Eastern while the carrier was under way off the coast of Virginia. The tailless, strike-fighter-sized aircraft flew autonomously, returning to Naval Air Station Patuxent River and landing safely 65 minutes later.
said Capt. Jaime Engdahl, Navy UCAS program manager for the Naval Air Systems Command, called the catapult launch of the X-47B “a momentous feat for naval aviation. It proves that the Navy’s goal of operating unmanned systems safely and effectively from aircraft carriers is well on its way to becoming a reality.”
Northrop Grumman is the prime contractor for the Navy’s UCAS Carrier Demonstration (UCAS-D) program. Company engineers designed, produced, and is currently flight testing two X-47B air vehicles for the program. Air Vehicle 2 completed the catapult shot.
Northrop Grumman’s UCAS-D industry team includes Pratt & Whitney, GKN Aerospace, Eaton, GE Aviation, UTC Aerospace Systems, Dell, Honeywell, Moog, Lockheed Martin, Wind River, Parker Aerospace, and Rockwell Collins.
“Catapulting the unmanned X-47B off the USS George H.W. Bush is an event as historic as the Navy’s first catapult of a manned aircraft, which occurred in Nov. 1915 from the armored cruiser USS North Carolina (ACR-12),” explains Carl Johnson, vice president and Navy UCAS program manager for Northrop Grumman. “We are delighted to help launch this new era of naval capability.”
The Latest Bing News on:
- Honeywell To Bring Next-Generation Inertial Sensors To Unmanned Vehicles Segmenton January 25, 2021 at 1:01 pm
Honeywell (NYSE: HON), with funding from the U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), is creating the next generation of inertial sensor technology that will one day be used in both ...
- Unmanned aerial vehicles to scale new heights thanks to NASAon January 25, 2021 at 11:40 am
Researchers at UT Austin lead a team developing methods to validate the cost and scalability of conceptual autonomous cargo operations.
- Navy to Expand Land-Based Testing for Unmanned Vessels, Conduct Offensive Firepower Analysis for USVson January 25, 2021 at 11:39 am
A longstanding slogan for the best use of unmanned systems is to perform “dull, dirty and dangerous” missions instead of humans. Early unmanned systems development embraced this idea, with the Navy ...
- UK’s unmanned ‘loyal wingman’ aircraft to carry missiles and electronic warfare techon January 25, 2021 at 6:19 am
A Belfast firm has been selected to design and manufacture the prototype for a ‘loyal wingman’ style unmanned fighter aircraft. Spirit AeroSystems will lead the next £30m phase of the Team Mosquito ...
- Belfast firm awarded £30m contract to manufacture UK's first unmanned fighter aircrafton January 25, 2021 at 4:48 am
Spirit Aero Sytems in Belfast has been awarded a £30m contract to manufacture a prototype for the UK’s first uncrewed fighter aircraft.
- Work on unmanned combat aircraft to begin after £30m Government investmenton January 25, 2021 at 3:11 am
By Mike Bedigan, PA Production of an unmanned combat aircraft nicknamed the “loyal wingman” is set to begin thanks to a £30 million Government investment. The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the ...
- 'Ground-breaking' unmanned combat aircraft project in Northern Irelandon January 25, 2021 at 2:57 am
More than 100 jobs will be supported by production of a new unmanned combat aircraft in Northern Ireland. Work on the aircraft, nicknamed the "loyal wingman", is set to begin after £30m of government ...
- Unmanned aircraft to be made at Spirit AeroSystems in Belfaston January 25, 2021 at 2:20 am
The UK’s first fleet of unmanned fighter aircraft is one step closer as £30 million contract was awarded to manufacture a prototype.
- 100 jobs in NI supported as work on unmanned combat aircraft to begin after £30m Government investmenton January 25, 2021 at 12:31 am
Production of an unmanned combat aircraft nicknamed the “loyal wingman” is set to begin thanks to a £30 million Government investment.
- Unmanned Aircraft System Market Growth Analysis By Size, Share, News, Demand, Opportunityon January 20, 2021 at 8:51 am
Unmanned Aircraft System Market Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis, And Key Country Forecast "The report on the global unmanned aircraft ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Unmanned Combat Air System
- British shell out seed funding for ‘loyal wingman’ combat droneon January 25, 2021 at 8:11 am
Air Chief Marshal Mike Wigston said the British were “taking a revolutionary approach, looking at a game-changing mix of swarming drones and uncrewed fighter aircraft like Mosqu ...
- RAF's new unmanned fighter aircraft dubbed the 'loyal wingman' gets £30million injection from MoDon January 24, 2021 at 10:00 pm
An unmanned fighter aircraft dubbed the "loyal wingman" is to be produced following a £30m injection from the MoD. The contract to design and manufacture the RAF’s new prototype uncrewed fighter ...
- HAL Set To Deliver First Batch Of Three Indigenous Light Combat Helicopters To Army And Air Force By 31 Marchon January 24, 2021 at 6:47 am
The LCH, LUCH along with weaponised Advanced Light Helicopter will be showcased in Indian pavilion at Aero India ...
- U.S. Stealth Drone Gets Sensor Pod To ‘See First, Strike First’ In Air-To-Air Combaton January 21, 2021 at 12:23 am
The U.S. Air Force has been reluctant to purchase the Avenger stealth drone. But pairing it with a new sensor may transform it into a game-changer for air-to-air combat.
- Systems & Technology Research to develop algorithms and sensors for combat airspace management testbedon January 13, 2021 at 2:41 am
The ASTARTE program seeks to provide real-time, low-risk joint deconfliction between airspace users and joint fires at an Army division-level.
- Anglo-French defence co-operation contract to develop unmanned combat air systemson January 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Mr Gray said that the development of Unmanned Combat Air Systems is of vital importance to the UK and France, “which have the most capable and experienced armed forces in Europe and well ...
- unmanned aerial systemson January 6, 2021 at 4:01 pm
The cloud computing infrastructure at the Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity allowed the organization to pivot to a new teleworking norm during the pandemic that’s not much different ...
- The Army is Interested in an Electric, Unmanned Combat Vehicleon December 27, 2020 at 5:18 am
Their Ripsaw M5 is an unmanned ... recharge times—can be overcome, robot combat vehicles could become the silent killers of the future. Textron Systems is the aerospace and defense ...
- AI-enabled Air Force unmanned drones will 'dogfight' manned fighter jetson August 18, 2020 at 2:05 pm
“Autonomous systems going up against a manned system in some kind of air-to-air engagement ... are in fact expected to enable unmanned dogfighting, combat maneuvering and tactical decision ...
- Army pursues ground-air 'drone-to-drone' unmanned system war teamingon July 31, 2020 at 11:04 pm
Part of this broad unmanned system effort has also involved the ... Such a synergy would give ground commanders an integrated air-ground combat picture in real-time, massively improving attack ...