Researchers at North Carolina State University have developed a new technique for creating high-quality semiconductor thin films at the atomic scale – meaning the films are only one atom thick.
The technique can be used to create these thin films on a large scale, sufficient to coat wafers that are two inches wide, or larger.
“This could be used to scale current semiconductor technologies down to the atomic scale – lasers, light-emitting diodes (LEDs), computer chips, anything,” says Dr. Linyou Cao, an assistant professor of materials science and engineering at NC State and senior author of a paper on the work. “People have been talking about this concept for a long time, but it wasn’t possible. With this discovery, I think it’s possible.”
The researchers worked with molybdenum sulfide (MoS2), an inexpensive semiconductor material with electronic and optical properties similar to materials already used in the semiconductor industry. However, MoS2 is different from other semiconductor materials because it can be “grown” in layers only one atom thick without compromising its properties.
In the new technique, researchers place sulfur and molybdenum chloride powders in a furnace and gradually raise the temperature to 850 degrees Celsius, which vaporizes the powder. The two substances react at high temperatures to form MoS2. While still under high temperatures, the vapor is then deposited in a thin layer onto the substrate.
“The key to our success is the development of a new growth mechanism, a self-limiting growth,” Cao says. The researchers can precisely control the thickness of the MoS2 layer by controlling the partial pressure and vapor pressure in the furnace. Partial pressure is the tendency of atoms or molecules suspended in the air to condense into a solid and settle onto the substrate. Vapor pressure is the tendency of solid atoms or molecules on the substrate to vaporize and rise into the air.
To create a single layer of MoS2 on the substrate, the partial pressure must be higher than the vapor pressure. The higher the partial pressure, the more layers of MoS2 will settle to the bottom. If the partial pressure is higher than the vapor pressure of a single layer of atoms on the substrate, but not higher than the vapor pressure of two layers, the balance between the partial pressure and the vapor pressure can ensure that thin-film growth automatically stops once the monolayer is formed. Cao calls this “self-limiting” growth.
Partial pressure is controlled by adjusting the amount of molybdenum chloride in the furnace – the more molybdenum is in the furnace, the higher the partial pressure.
“Using this technique, we can create wafer-scale MoS2 monolayer thin films, one atom thick, every time,” Cao says. “We can also produce layers that are two, three or four atoms thick.”
Cao’s team is now trying to find ways to create similar thin films in which each atomic layer is made of a different material. Cao is also working to create field-effect transistors and LEDs using the technique. Cao has filed a patent on the new technique.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Amkor Technology Reports Financial Results for the Second Quarter 2022on August 1, 2022 at 1:29 pm
TEMPE, Ariz., August 01, 2022--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Amkor Technology, Inc. (Nasdaq: AMKR), a leading provider of semiconductor packaging and test services, today announced financial results for the second ...
- Why Is ON Semiconductor (ON) Stock Stumbling Today?on August 1, 2022 at 12:43 pm
ON Semiconductor ( ON) is celebrating an impressive Q2. The company broke a new record with its first $2 billion in quarterly revenue. Still, the company is suffering losses in its first day of ...
- Materion to develop advanced chemicals for EV batteries, semiconductor chips at new facilityon August 1, 2022 at 12:09 pm
Materion Corp. has built a facility to accelerate the growth of advanced chemicals for the semiconductor and electric vehicle battery markets.
- Lithography: The Achilles’ Heel of China’s Semiconductor Industry?on August 1, 2022 at 9:05 am
Dependence on foreign lithography equipment emerges as a growing liability for Chinese chipmakers in the face of intensifying U.S.-led export controls.
- Materion Establishes New Facility to Accelerate Growth in the Semiconductor and Electric Vehicle Marketson August 1, 2022 at 8:02 am
Materion Corporation (NYSE: MTRN), a world leader in high-performing advanced materials, announced today that it has established a new facility in Milwaukee, Wisconsin to accelerate the growth of ...
- Tech war: China’s semiconductor ambitions face reality check amid reports US is set to widen ban on exports of equipment to countryon August 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
US semiconductor equipment suppliers Lam Research and KLA Corp confirmed that the US has been pushing for stricter export regulations The new restrictions come at a time when Washington is pressing ...
- ON Semiconductor Corporation (ON) CEO Hassane El-Khoury on Q2 2022 Results - Earnings Call Transcripton August 1, 2022 at 7:36 am
Q2 2022 Earnings Conference Call August 01, 2022 09:00 AM ET Company Participants Parag Agarwal - Vice President of Investor Relations ...
- Is iShares Semiconductor ETF (SOXX) a Strong ETF Right Now?on August 1, 2022 at 3:20 am
T he iShares Semiconductor ETF (SOXX) made its debut on 07/10/2001, and is a smart beta exchange traded fund that provides broad exposure to the Technology ETFs category of the market. What Are Smart ...
- Champion semiconductor could replace silicon, say researcherson August 1, 2022 at 2:00 am
Experimental evidence for exceptional thermal conductivity and hole mobility in cubic boron arsenide raises hopes for future applications ...
- Photronics: Play The Semiconductor Boomon August 1, 2022 at 1:41 am
Photronics is a technologically superior company that will thrive with the semiconductor boom. Read why I believe there is further upside to PLAB stock.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Engineers repurpose 19th-century photography technique to make stretchy, color-changing filmson August 1, 2022 at 10:27 am
Imagine stretching a piece of film to reveal a hidden message. Or checking an arm band's color to gauge muscle mass. Or sporting a swimsuit that changes hue as you do laps. Such chameleon-like, ...
- Polarizer Film Market is expected to reach $17.4 Billion by 2027 – An exclusive market research reports from Lucintelon July 28, 2022 at 5:10 pm
Lucintel's latest market report analyzed that polarizer film provides attractive opportunities in the television, monitor, notebook, and cell phone markets. The polarizer film market is expected to ...
- Oral Thin Films Market Estimated to Observe Technological Advancements Furtheron July 27, 2022 at 11:06 pm
According to the report, the global oral thin films market was valued at US$ 2.6 Bn in 2019. It is projected to expand at a CAGR of ~9% from 2020 to 2030. Oral thin film drug is a promising drug ...
- Thin Film Drug Market Is Projected To Grow At An Exemplary Growth Rate of Around 9.19% By 2028 | 112 Report Pageson July 26, 2022 at 11:20 pm
Global Thin Film Drug Market Size was estimated at USD 7170.38 million in 2021 and is projected to reach USD 13269.36 million by 2028, exhibiting a CAGR of 9.19% during the forecast period.
- Oxide Thin film Transistors Market 2022 Size, Demand, Outlook, Trends, Revenue, Future Growth Opportunities till 2030on July 26, 2022 at 12:38 am
Market Research Engine has published a new report titled as "Oxide Thin film Transistors Market Size By Type (Zinc Oxide Thin-film Transistors, Tin Oxide Thin-film Transistors), By Application ...
- First Solar receives order from Akuo for 500 MW of advanced thin film moduleson July 25, 2022 at 6:23 am
The multi-year agreement would see deliveries from 2024 to 2026 for US and international utility-scale solar projects.
- Thin Film Micro Battery Market CAGR at 30.9% with Analysis of Growing Technology Trends, Size, Share and Projection by 2029on July 22, 2022 at 8:08 am
Thin Film Micro Battery Market research document is generated with the best and advanced tools of collecting, recording, estimating, and analysing market data. The business report can be used by both ...
- Basics of Thin Film – How Thick is Thin?on July 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Thin film is a generic term that refers to the thickness of a layer of material ranging from the tiniest nanometers to several micrometers. Thin-film foil fabrics play an increasingly important role ...
- Film captures wasted wavelengths of light to boost solar cell efficiencyon July 19, 2022 at 8:44 pm
Solar cells are one of the most important technologies in the transition to renewable energy, but there’s still plenty of room for improvement. Researchers at New York University (NYU) Tandon have now ...
- Enriching science education with thin filmson July 19, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Tiffany Kaspar, however, makes sure it’s treated with the care befitting an instrument capable of producing high-quality thin films with atomic precision. Knee-high plexiglass surrounds some ...