Chemical engineering researchers have identified a new mechanism to convert natural gas into energy up to 70 times faster, while effectively capturing the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2).
“This could make power generation from natural gas both cleaner and more efficient,” says Fanxing Li, co-author of a paper on the research and an assistant professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at North Carolina State University.
At issue is a process called chemical looping, in which a solid, oxygen-laden material – called an “oxygen carrier” – is put in contact with natural gas. The oxygen atoms in the oxygen carrier interact with the natural gas, causing combustion that produces energy.
Previous state-of-the-art oxygen carriers were made from a composite of inert ceramic material and metal oxides. But Li’s team has developed a new type of oxygen carrier that include a “mixed ionic-electronic conductor,” which effectively shuttles oxygen atoms into the natural gas very efficiently – making the chemical looping combustion process as much as 70 times faster. This mixed conductor material is held in a nanoscale matrix with an iron oxide – otherwise known as rust. The rust serves as a source of oxygen for the mixed conductor to shuttle out into the natural gas.
In addition to energy, the combustion process produces water vapor and CO2. By condensing out the water vapor, researchers are able to create a stream of concentrated CO2 to be capture for sequestration.
The Latest Bing News on:
Converts Natural Gas to Energy
- Gulf Power's Plant Crist converts to natural gas, renamed Gulf Clean Energy Centeron January 22, 2021 at 12:49 pm
The plant's transition to natural gas marked the end of coal-generated power for the entire Gulf Power and Florida Power & Light system.
- Trash To Cash: Will Co. To Convert Methane Into Renewable Gason January 21, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Converting the methane generated at the landfill into compressed natural gas could potentially generate as much as $12 million per year.
- Smithfield project that converts hog waste to energy angers, worries rural NC residentson January 21, 2021 at 4:13 am
The Align RNG project moves forward with the approval of an air permit from NCDEQ, but leaves Sampson and Duplin County residents questioning the harmful impacts and motives ...
- Ron Fink: Is It Wise to Convert From Natural Gas to All-Electric Buildings?on January 18, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The city of Santa Barbara is considering a new ordinance to require that new construction eliminate the use of natural gas for appliances and heat. Before they do that, they should consider the ...
- FOLLOWUP: Mayor sends multifamily, commercial construction natural-gas ban to councilon January 14, 2021 at 10:43 am
Last month, we reported on Mayor Jenny Durkan's announcement that she planned to pursue a ban on natural-gas usage in many types of new construction. On Wednesday, while we were focused on windstorm ...
- FPL shuts down its last coal-fired plant in Florida and converting another to natural gason January 13, 2021 at 5:17 pm
Florida Power & Light’s last coal-fired plant in that state has officially closed. The formal retirement of Indiantown Cogeneration Plant (pictured) came as the clock struck midnight on Dec. 31. FPL ...
- Natural Gas Compressor Market - What will be the Short-term Impact of Coronavirus? Fortune Business Insightson January 10, 2021 at 4:04 pm
The rising awareness about green energy sources across the world is transforming the energy and power industry. The ...
- From hydrogen to repurposed waste, firms win government cash to convert distilleries to green energyon January 8, 2021 at 10:46 am
The firms will each receive between £44,000 and £85,000 in the first phase of a £10 million fund to help them explore new low-carbon energy sources ... and protect the natural environment.
- Cornell University to Extract Energy From Manure to Heat the Campuson January 8, 2021 at 3:03 am
University considers proposal to convert cattle manure to methane and use it in combination with geothermal energy to heat the campus all winter. Cornell University is developing a system to extract ...
- NW Natural and BioCarbN Form Innovative Renewable Natural Gas Partnership with Tyson Foodson January 7, 2021 at 5:00 pm
This is the company’s first investment under the landmark new state RNG law, Oregon Senate Bill 98, which supports renewable energy procurement and investment by natural gas utilities.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Converts Natural Gas to Energy
The Latest Bing News on:
- Elon Musk to donate sliver of net worth for carbon captureon January 22, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Am donating $100M towards a prize for best carbon capture technology,” Musk tweeted. “Details next week.” Spokespeople for Musk did not immediately respond to requests for comment. It would be his ...
- Tesla's Musk Offers $100M Reward for Best Carbon-Capture Techon January 22, 2021 at 2:45 pm
Am donating $100M towards a prize for best carbon capture technology,' tweeted Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk. 'Details next week.' ...
- Elon Musk will award $ 100 million for best carbon capture technologyon January 22, 2021 at 9:53 am
With the aim of achieving a technological development that captures carbon dioxide emissions, the great tycoon behind Tesla and SpaceX, Elon Musk, has given the option to participate and win a prize ...
- Elon Musk says he'll throw $100 million into carbon capture tech. VCs including Vinod Khosla told us these 4 startups are leading the way.on January 22, 2021 at 9:45 am
We asked top VCs including Vinod Khosla which startups to watch in 2021. Here are the 4 they offered up that are working on tech to capture carbon.
- Elon Musk is donating a $100 million prize for carbon capture technology — here's what that meanson January 22, 2021 at 8:06 am
Carbon capture, utilization and storage or sequestration is a process of removing carbon emissions to either store or reuse.
- Elon Musk to offer $100 million prize for 'best' carbon capture techon January 22, 2021 at 6:49 am
Tesla chief and billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk on Thursday promised a $100 million prize for development of the “best” technology to capture carbon emissions.
- Elon Musk says he's donating $100 million for carbon-capture tech prizeon January 22, 2021 at 4:25 am
Elon Musk is putting a big chunk of change into the fight against climate change. "Am donating $100M towards a prize for best carbon-capture technology," the SpaceX and Tesla chief announced on ...
- Musk offers $100 million prize for carbon capture technologieson January 21, 2021 at 6:17 pm
The billionaire may be betting on carbon capture technologies to combat climate change. Elon Musk intends to offer $100 million to a successful project resulting in viable carbon capture technologies.
- Elon Musk is donating $100M to find the best carbon capture technologyon January 21, 2021 at 5:26 pm
Elon Musk said Thursday via a tweet that he will donate $100 million toward a prize for the best carbon capture technology. Musk, who recently surpassed Amazon’s Jeff Bezos to become the world’s ...
- Elon Musk announces $100M prize for carbon-capture technology conteston January 21, 2021 at 5:00 pm
With climate change on his mind, billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk has announced a $100-million prize for a carbon-capture technology contest.