Chemical engineering researchers have identified a new mechanism to convert natural gas into energy up to 70 times faster, while effectively capturing the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2).
“This could make power generation from natural gas both cleaner and more efficient,” says Fanxing Li, co-author of a paper on the research and an assistant professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at North Carolina State University.
At issue is a process called chemical looping, in which a solid, oxygen-laden material – called an “oxygen carrier” – is put in contact with natural gas. The oxygen atoms in the oxygen carrier interact with the natural gas, causing combustion that produces energy.
Previous state-of-the-art oxygen carriers were made from a composite of inert ceramic material and metal oxides. But Li’s team has developed a new type of oxygen carrier that include a “mixed ionic-electronic conductor,” which effectively shuttles oxygen atoms into the natural gas very efficiently – making the chemical looping combustion process as much as 70 times faster. This mixed conductor material is held in a nanoscale matrix with an iron oxide – otherwise known as rust. The rust serves as a source of oxygen for the mixed conductor to shuttle out into the natural gas.
In addition to energy, the combustion process produces water vapor and CO2. By condensing out the water vapor, researchers are able to create a stream of concentrated CO2 to be capture for sequestration.
The Latest Bing News on:
Converts Natural Gas to Energy
- Kawasaki Heavy Industries Aims to Replicate LNG Supply Chain with Hydrogenon January 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Japan's Kawasaki Heavy Industries is aiming to replicate its success as a major liquefied natural gas (LNG) tanker producer with ...
- Gulf Power's Plant Crist converts to natural gas, renamed Gulf Clean Energy Centeron January 22, 2021 at 12:49 pm
The plant's transition to natural gas marked the end of coal-generated power for the entire Gulf Power and Florida Power & Light system.
- Trash To Cash: Will Co. To Convert Methane Into Renewable Gason January 21, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Converting the methane generated at the landfill into compressed natural gas could potentially generate as much as $12 million per year.
- Ron Fink: Is It Wise to Convert From Natural Gas to All-Electric Buildings?on January 18, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The city of Santa Barbara is considering a new ordinance to require that new construction eliminate the use of natural gas for appliances and heat. Before they do that, they should consider the ...
- FPL shuts down its last coal-fired plant in Florida and converting another to natural gason January 13, 2021 at 5:17 pm
Florida Power & Light’s last coal-fired plant in that state has officially closed. The formal retirement of Indiantown Cogeneration Plant (pictured) came as the clock struck midnight on Dec. 31. FPL ...
- Engineers' reactor converts gas directly into acetic acidon January 11, 2021 at 1:05 pm
The next step in development of a scalable system is to improve upon the system's stability and further reduce the amount of energy the process requires, Wang said. Rice graduate students Peng Zhu ...
- UW researchers find way to convert coal to graphite using a microwave ovenon January 9, 2021 at 7:04 pm
The container had some argon and hydrogen gas in it too to catalyze the reaction. The microwave oven’s high temperatures generated sparks and eventually converted the coal into polycrystalline ...
- From hydrogen to repurposed waste, firms win government cash to convert distilleries to green energyon January 8, 2021 at 10:46 am
The firms will each receive between £44,000 and £85,000 in the first phase of a £10 million fund to help them explore new low-carbon energy sources ... and protect the natural environment.
- NW Natural and BioCarbN Form Innovative Renewable Natural Gas Partnership with Tyson Foodson January 7, 2021 at 5:00 pm
This is the company’s first investment under the landmark new state RNG law, Oregon Senate Bill 98, which supports renewable energy procurement and investment by natural gas utilities.
- Programme to convert, replace vehicles to natural gas in Egypt eyes 250,000 cars in 3 yearson January 3, 2021 at 4:01 pm
Egypt’s Minister of Trade and Industry Nevine Gamea has revealed that 250,000 cars will be targeted in the three-year-long first phase of the national programme to convert or replace vehicles to ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Converts Natural Gas to Energy
The Latest Bing News on:
- Elon Musk just bought $100 million in publicity for the carbon capture industryon January 26, 2021 at 1:03 am
Elon Musk fired up the climate community by offering a $100 million prize (about .05% of his estimated net worth) to any team that comes up with the best way to capture carbon. It’s a small but ...
- Nuclear and carbon capture may form bipartisan (re)starting point on climate changeon January 25, 2021 at 11:58 am
Democratic Senator Chris Coons of Delaware says it's a "false choice" that pursuing climate-change policy hurts the U.S. economy.
- Boosting the efficiency of carbon capture and conversion systemson January 25, 2021 at 11:49 am
Systems for capturing and converting carbon dioxide from power plant emissions could be important tools for curbing climate change, but most are relatively inefficient and expensive. Now, researchers ...
- They can capture more carbon than they emit. So why aren't wooden buildings mainstream?on January 25, 2021 at 8:18 am
Four storeys high and made almost entirely of wood, the ZEB Lab building in Trondheim, Norway, had, even before it existed, sucked as much carbon from the atmosphere as it would probably produce in ...
- These 2 oil companies say they've reached 'net-negative' emissions through carbon captureon January 25, 2021 at 1:00 am
'Net zero' is a popular goal these days for those looking to reduce their carbon footprint, usually with a timeline decades in the future. Now, a pair of Alberta companies claim they're using carbon ...
- $100 Million From Elon Musk Won’t Enable Carbon Captureon January 24, 2021 at 5:10 am
Elon Musk recently announced his intention to donate $100 million to the “best” carbon capture technology. The problems, however, holding carbon capture are economic, and a Silicon Valley mindset that ...
- Elon Musk to donate sliver of net worth for carbon captureon January 22, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Am donating $100M towards a prize for best carbon capture technology,” Musk tweeted. “Details next week.” Spokespeople for Musk did not immediately respond to requests for comment. It would be his ...
- Tesla's Musk Offers $100M Reward for Best Carbon-Capture Techon January 22, 2021 at 2:45 pm
Am donating $100M towards a prize for best carbon capture technology,' tweeted Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk. 'Details next week.' ...
- Elon Musk will award $ 100 million for best carbon capture technologyon January 22, 2021 at 9:53 am
With the aim of achieving a technological development that captures carbon dioxide emissions, the great tycoon behind Tesla and SpaceX, Elon Musk, has given the option to participate and win a prize ...
- Elon Musk is donating a $100 million prize for carbon capture technology — here's what that meanson January 22, 2021 at 8:06 am
Carbon capture, utilization and storage or sequestration is a process of removing carbon emissions to either store or reuse.