Chemical engineering researchers have identified a new mechanism to convert natural gas into energy up to 70 times faster, while effectively capturing the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2).
“This could make power generation from natural gas both cleaner and more efficient,” says Fanxing Li, co-author of a paper on the research and an assistant professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at North Carolina State University.
At issue is a process called chemical looping, in which a solid, oxygen-laden material – called an “oxygen carrier” – is put in contact with natural gas. The oxygen atoms in the oxygen carrier interact with the natural gas, causing combustion that produces energy.
Previous state-of-the-art oxygen carriers were made from a composite of inert ceramic material and metal oxides. But Li’s team has developed a new type of oxygen carrier that include a “mixed ionic-electronic conductor,” which effectively shuttles oxygen atoms into the natural gas very efficiently – making the chemical looping combustion process as much as 70 times faster. This mixed conductor material is held in a nanoscale matrix with an iron oxide – otherwise known as rust. The rust serves as a source of oxygen for the mixed conductor to shuttle out into the natural gas.
In addition to energy, the combustion process produces water vapor and CO2. By condensing out the water vapor, researchers are able to create a stream of concentrated CO2 to be capture for sequestration.
The Latest Bing News on:
Converts Natural Gas to Energy
- CERAWEEK-Energy firms bet on hydrogen boom, but payday far awayon March 3, 2021 at 5:18 am
Governments and energy companies are placing large bets on clean hydrogen playing a leading role in efforts to lower greenhouse gas emissions, but its future uses and costs are highly uncertain.
- Gulf Power switches to cleaner natural gas energyon March 2, 2021 at 7:08 pm
Gulf Power announced the company has converted one of its coal-burning units to run on natural gas. Gulf power says changing to natural gas will reduce carbon emissions by 40%. That is equivalent to ...
- Bowing to opposition, Summit Natural Gas withdraws Midcoast pipeline planon March 2, 2021 at 4:06 pm
Summit Natural Gas of Maine is withdrawing plans for a $90 million pipeline expansion into Maine's Midcoast region, after facing opposition from environmental activists and failing to gain community ...
- New Method Converts Methane in Natural Gas to Methanol at Room Temperatureon February 25, 2021 at 6:57 am
Researchers at the Chicago (UIC) have discovered a way to convert the methane in natural gas into liquid methanol at room temperature. This discovery, reported in the journal Proceedings of the ...
- New method converts methane in natural gas to methanol at room temperatureon February 17, 2021 at 4:00 pm
According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration ... A better way to use natural gas would be to convert it to methanol, a liquid fuel that burns more cleanly and can be used to produce ...
- Clean Energy Signs Multi-Year Contract with LA Metro for More Than 47 Million Gallons of Renewable Natural Gason February 8, 2021 at 5:33 am
Clean Energy Fuels Corp. is North America’s leading provider of the cleanest fuel for the transportation market. Through its sales of renewable natural gas (RNG), which is derived from capturing ...
- Los Angeles Metro Signs Agreement for 47 Million Gallons of Renewable Natural Gason February 8, 2021 at 3:37 am
Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) has signed a new agreement for an estimated 47.5 million gallons of renewable natural gas (RNG) to fuel the nation’s largest transit ...
- Clean Energy Signs Multi-Year Contract with LA Metro for More Than 47 Million Gallons of Renewable Natural Gason February 8, 2021 at 3:26 am
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Clean Energy Fuels Corp. (NASDAQ: CLNE) announced that the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) has signed a new agreement for ...
- Biogas – Convert Waste to Energy in 2021on February 2, 2021 at 4:41 am
Once this LFG is trapped, it can be used as energy to power electricity in the house and natural gas pipelines. The manure of livestock produces methane when decomposing and contributes to nutrients ...
- With Natural Gas in Peril, Pipeline Owners Look to Hydrogenon January 29, 2021 at 2:12 am
And NextEra Energy Inc. wrote off $1.2 billion of ... three-quarters of which will consist of converted natural gas pipelines. National Grid in the U.K. has launched a series of hydrogen ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Converts Natural Gas to Energy
The Latest Bing News on:
- FedEx to Invest $2 Billion in Bid for Carbon-Neutral Operationson March 3, 2021 at 3:24 pm
The plan to eliminate carbon from package-and-delivery services by 2040 will include moving to an electric fleet.
- FedEx commits to reaching carbon-neutral operations by 2040on March 3, 2021 at 3:22 pm
FedEx is committing to reach carbon-neutral operations by 2040, aided by replacing its pickup and delivery fleet with zero-emission electric vehicles.
- Yale creating carbon capture research center with $100M donation from FedExon March 3, 2021 at 12:35 pm
With a $100 million donation from delivery services giant FedEx, Yale is creating a Center for Natural Carbon Capture to lead research into how best to trap carbon found in the air and oceans, ...
- Occidental CEO: Oxy expects carbon capture, carbon management segment to growon March 3, 2021 at 10:48 am
Occidental CEO Vicki Hollub expects carbon capture and management business to grow with net-zero emissions targets lingering in the not-so-distant future.
- Optiperm™ carbon shows promising early results for carbon captureon March 3, 2021 at 7:18 am
Compact Membrane Systems (CMS), a pioneer in separations technology, has developed a new membrane for capturing carbon dioxide out of flue gas. This is the third addition to CMS's Optiperm™ product ...
- Estevan invites Elon Musk to view carbon capture technologyon March 3, 2021 at 5:18 am
If the City of Estevan has its way, Elon Musk’s next business trip could take him to the community in southeast Saskatchewan. Estevan’s mayor Roy Ludwig wrote a letter to Musk, inviting him to the ...
- Japan's Mitsui to invest in UK carbon capture projecton March 3, 2021 at 3:12 am
Japanese trading house Mitsui & Co Ltd said on Wednesday it would invest in the development of a carbon capture and storage (CCS) project in Britain.
- $2B project would capture Midwestern ethanol plants’ carbon dioxide, bury it in North Dakotaon March 2, 2021 at 7:41 pm
An Iowa company is leading a $2 billion effort to capture carbon dioxide from Midwestern ethanol plants and pipe it to North Dakota where it would be buried deep underground. The greenhouse gas is ...
- Government policies, economics creating market for carbon capture: Exxon CEOon March 2, 2021 at 8:45 am
Improving economics and government policies are creating opportunities for carbon capture and storage, Exxon Mobil Chief Executive Darren Woods said at an energy conference on Tuesday.
- Carbon Capture Technology Faces a Difficult Few Years, Finds IDTechEx Researchon March 1, 2021 at 11:56 am
Carbon capture, utilization, and storage (CCUS), or carbon capture and storage (CCS), is a set of technologies used to strip carbon dioxide from industrial waste gases or directly from the atmosphere.