Chemical engineering researchers have identified a new mechanism to convert natural gas into energy up to 70 times faster, while effectively capturing the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide (CO2).
“This could make power generation from natural gas both cleaner and more efficient,” says Fanxing Li, co-author of a paper on the research and an assistant professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering at North Carolina State University.
At issue is a process called chemical looping, in which a solid, oxygen-laden material – called an “oxygen carrier” – is put in contact with natural gas. The oxygen atoms in the oxygen carrier interact with the natural gas, causing combustion that produces energy.
Previous state-of-the-art oxygen carriers were made from a composite of inert ceramic material and metal oxides. But Li’s team has developed a new type of oxygen carrier that include a “mixed ionic-electronic conductor,” which effectively shuttles oxygen atoms into the natural gas very efficiently – making the chemical looping combustion process as much as 70 times faster. This mixed conductor material is held in a nanoscale matrix with an iron oxide – otherwise known as rust. The rust serves as a source of oxygen for the mixed conductor to shuttle out into the natural gas.
In addition to energy, the combustion process produces water vapor and CO2. By condensing out the water vapor, researchers are able to create a stream of concentrated CO2 to be capture for sequestration.
The Latest Bing News on:
Converts Natural Gas to Energy
- Middleton digester using solar energy to move manure-based fuelon August 11, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Charged with energy from the digester’s solar panels, EnTech says the electric truck will lower the operation’s environmental impact and make it more profitable.
- Freeport LNG plant still pulling in natgas to produce power for Texason August 11, 2022 at 11:22 am
U.S. liquefied natural gas (LNG) company Freeport LNG said on Thursday it was still pulling in small amounts of pipeline natural gas at its shuttered liquefied natural gas (LNG) export plant in Texas ...
- Gas-Starved Europe Is About to Get a Pair of Floating LNG Unitson August 11, 2022 at 10:27 am
At least two floating liquefied natural gas terminals are heading for Europe in the next several months as the region clamors to replace supplies cut off after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.Most Read ...
- Why high electric bills are result of years of unsound energy policieson August 11, 2022 at 2:23 am
If the U.S. goes too far too fast with the transition, it will seriously jeopardize the cost and reliability of America’s energy supply, ...
- Andryszak: Natural gas can bolster energy grid, but feds are getting in the wayon August 10, 2022 at 8:00 pm
Power grid operators understand the importance of natural gas for reliability. The U.S. does not have sufficient capabilities to support renewables.
- Renewable Energy Company Closes $4.3M Capital Round to Convert Landfill Methane Into Bitcoinon August 9, 2022 at 5:00 am
The company installs efficient micro-turbines on municipal landfills, which convert otherwise wasted methane gas into electricity to power bitcoin-mining data centers, according to a statement.
- Roanoke Gas Co. seeks state approval of renewable energy projecton August 8, 2022 at 12:15 pm
The project would convert biogas from a sewer treatment plant into natural gas the company distributes to homes and businesses.
- Energy experts call for shift to natural gas from petrol, dieselon August 4, 2022 at 5:53 am
With fuel prices rising unabatedly despite government’s Sh100 billion-monthly subsidy, analysts now want Tanzania to shift its focus to natural gas as a long term measure. Late Tuesday, the Energy and ...
- Scientists reveal method of converting methane gas into liquid methanolon August 2, 2022 at 1:23 pm
A group of researchers has succeeded in converting methane into methanol using light and dispersed transition metals such as copper in a process known as photo-oxidation. According to an article ...
- Williams Invests in Technology to Generate Zero-Emission Hydrogen with Natural Gason August 2, 2022 at 1:15 pm
Williams (NYSE: WMB) today announced a direct investment in Aurora Hydrogen, a company developing technology that converts natural gas to hydrogen with zero carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. Aurora ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Converts Natural Gas to Energy
The Latest Bing News on:
- The Inflation Reduction Act Includes a Bonanza for the Carbon Capture Industryon August 11, 2022 at 3:32 pm
A pipe installed as part of the Petra Nova Carbon Capture Project carries carbon dioxide captured from the emissions of t WA Parish generating station in Thompsons, Texas, U.S., on Thursday, Feb. 16, ...
- Does the Inflation Reduction Act contain a carbon tax?on August 11, 2022 at 3:04 pm
The Inflation Reduction Act that Senate Democrats managed to pass on Sunday and that is heading for an expected vote in the House on Friday includes a set of tax credits intended to incentivize ...
- Gulf Oil Producers Expand Carbon Capture And Hydrogen Capacityon August 11, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Middle Eastern oil giants are ramping up carbon capture and hydrogen capacity as a key strategy in their transition to green energy ...
- 'A Dangerous Bet': Analysts Question Manchin Bill's Carbon Capture Promiseson August 11, 2022 at 10:57 am
"Carbon capture has been largely an exercise in expensive failure, and there is no reason to think that additional taxpayer subsidies will change that." ...
- Heavy Industries Help Drive Steady Carbon Capture Market Growthon August 11, 2022 at 10:28 am
A new report says carbon capture and storage will keep growing, especially with a focus on heavy industries and government regulations.
- Government opens consultation on biomass carbon capture and storageon August 11, 2022 at 10:11 am
The Government has unveiled a consultation on biomass powered carbon capture projects in the UK over the next decade. The post Government opens consultation on biomass carbon capture and storage ...
- Carbon Capture and Storage Market Worth $5.35 Billion by 2030: Grand View Research, Inc.on August 11, 2022 at 8:00 am
The global carbon capture and storage market size is expected to reach USD 5.35 Billion by 2030, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 5.
- Britain looks into funding biomass carbon capture and storageon August 11, 2022 at 3:57 am
Britain said it is considering ways to support combining electricity generated using biomass, such as wood pellets, with technology to capture and store the resulting carbon emissions.
- Low phosphorus levels limit carbon capture by Amazonian forestson August 10, 2022 at 3:13 pm
A global study of forests 1 revealed that, between 1990 and 2007, they converted approximately 29% of human-generated carbon emissions into long-lived plant biomass and soil organ ...
- UCB demonstrates "incredibly cheap and easy" carbon-capture materialon August 8, 2022 at 1:50 am
UC Berkeley chemists say they've created a simple, and very inexpensive way to capture carbon dioxide using a polymer called melamine, that's far cheaper than metal-organic frameworks. It could ...