Design for seniors to tap market, industry urged
Hardware and software vendors are foolish to ignore the needs of the growing population of older computer and information technology users, the so-called “silver surfers”. US researchers offer convincing evidence in a monograph to be published in the International Journal of Intercultural Information Management that from the business perspective, seniors represent a rapidly growing sector of the market with the most disposable income to spend on these companies’ products.
Mark McMurtrey, Ronald McGaughey, James Downey and Steven Zeltmann of the Department of Management Information Systems at the University of Central Arkansas, in Conway, have brought together three research streams to show how the senior population is increasingly “wired”. Their evidence suggests that manufacturers are foolish in their failure to address the needs of this part of society, which often has disabilities – sight and hearing problems, issues with dexterity and cognitive deficits – that would benefit from specialist input and output hardware and software designed for greater accessibility. Moreover, it is a matter of social responsibility that such companies ought to address the needs of all of society and not just the younger generation and able bodied.
The researchers pulled together information and data from three main sources. First, data from the US Census’ current population reports (and other US Census Bureau statistics). Secondly, results reported in three large-scale studies by SeniorNet, the largest promoter of elderly computer and internet use in the world. And, lastly findings from a range of scholarly investigations with high citation numbers from the research literature. They hoped that the fusion of these resources would allow them to shed considerable light on the issue of senior citizens and their access and use of information technology.
The most apparent finding from the work is that seniors use information technology in much the same way as other people irrespective of age: they shop online, research topics of interest, stay in touch with friends and relatives, and carry out a multitude of other tasks from maintaining a Facebook presence to tweeting regularly, as do almost all other sectors of society. Likewise, many seniors use mobile technology, including cell phones, just as commonly as younger people. Given the physical and cognitive disabilities many people face as they get older, manufacturers of hardware and software vendors must take such findings into account in their long-term development and marketing strategies, not only will it help their profit line it is a more ethical approach to information technology.
The Latest Bing News on:
- My Biggest Gear Regreton January 18, 2021 at 5:08 am
Aaron Lee Tasjan joins PG editors and our reader of the month in remembering the guitars that got away. Plus, they share their current musical obsessions.
- National seafood chains, ranked worst to beston January 12, 2021 at 10:17 am
This ranking will help you avoid the worst national seafood chains and get you pointed in the direction of the very best.
- Fender Readies 2021 Lineup: Noventa Series, Ultra Luxe, 75th Anniversary & Moreon January 12, 2021 at 9:33 am
Fender celebrates 75 years with new guitar series, upgraded favorites, and a freshly inked line of signature models.
- Monster Energy's Max Parrot and Zoi Sadowski-Synnott Claim Snowboard Big Air Gold at the FIS Snowboard Park & Pipe World Cup in Kreischbergon January 11, 2021 at 7:00 pm
Monster Energy congratulates snowboard athletes Max Parrot (Canada) and Zoi Sadowski-Synnott (New Zealand) on earning gold in the Snowboard Big Air Men's and Women's ...
- HP at CES 2021: The Future of PC Innovation is Nowon January 10, 2021 at 6:00 pm
HP unleashes breakthrough PC experiences for creating, collaborating, and connecting wherever you arePowerful AI advancements, selfie display ...
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surferon January 10, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Check out the new DVDs, Blu-rays and streaming shows (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BritBox, Disney+, Apple TV+, Acorn TV, Sundance Now) coming out this week. Wonder Woman 1984 conquers weekend box ...
- High Surf advisory issued for Central and South Coastson January 5, 2021 at 5:17 am
A high surf advisory is taking place now, until Saturday evening. This is what you can expect up and down the Central Coast.
- New Eternals Details Tease A Connection To Fantastic Four And Silver Surferon January 3, 2021 at 4:53 pm
Watch: New Pokémon Snap Trailer Reveals Gameplay And Releas... Watch: Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Issues Apology And Explains What W... EA Says It's Making More Star Wars Games Despite Losing Excl..
- Fantastic Four, Galactus & Silver Surfer's MCU Arrival Teased in Leaked Eternals Detailson January 1, 2021 at 9:24 pm
RELATED: Marvel Gave Eternals Director Chloé Zhao the Freedom to Make the MCU Movie She Wanted So how does this "Cosmic Energy" tie into the Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer and Galactus?
- Fantastic Four's Reunion Teases the Return of Marvel's ULTIMATE Weaponon December 24, 2020 at 11:31 am
With the Silver Surfer and Fantastic Four finally reunited, Reed Richards may need a favor from him, which could bring back a powerful weapon.
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Seniors using information technology
- Blackstone Announces Appointment of Jeff Margolis, Leading Healthcare Information Technology Executive, as Senior Advisoron January 16, 2021 at 9:57 am
Blackstone (NYSE:BX) today announced the appointment of Jeff Margolis, former Chairman and CEO of TriZetto and the prior CEO and current Chairman of Welltok, Inc., as a Senior Advisor. Mr. Margolis ...
- Capital Senior Living Names Jay Reed Vice President of Information Technologyon January 14, 2021 at 5:23 am
Capital Senior Living Corporation (the “Company” or “Capital Senior Living”) (NYSE: CSU), one of the nation’s leading senior living companies, announced the appointment of Jay Reed as Vice President ...
- Advisor Group Expands Technology Leadership With Appointment Of Peter Clemson As Senior Vice President, Digital Solutionson January 14, 2021 at 3:56 am
Advisor Group, the nation's largest network of independent wealth management firms, today announced the appointment of Peter Clemson, a 25-year veteran of the financial technology space, to the newly ...
- OvareGroup Adds Two Senior Technology Roles: Chief Information Technology Officer and Chief Data Officeron January 7, 2021 at 6:39 am
Industry Veterans Suzie Smibert and Brandi LaFontaine Will Lead OvareGroup Technology Initiatives Internally and Externally. The OvareGroup, a Los Angeles-based media and marketin ...
- Facilitating seniors use of technology to decrease social isolationon January 6, 2021 at 4:00 am
This is the first in a series of articles and columns submitted by professionals in their vocations, city officials and staff and others that the Boomerang will be ...
- Eaton Names Katrina R. Redmond Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officeron January 5, 2021 at 2:28 am
Power management company Eaton (NYSE:ETN) today announced that Katrina R. Redmond has been named senior vice president and chief information officer (CIO), effective January 4, 2021. She succeeds Bill ...
- Teen helps seniors with technology during COVID-19 pandemicon January 1, 2021 at 12:10 pm
He knew there was a growing need to help seniors use their technology, but he said he never could have predicted a pandemic taking that to a whole new level. “What was coming slowly but surely ...
- Palm Beach County teen helps seniors with technology during COVID-19 pandemicon December 31, 2020 at 2:04 am
Friedman, a 17-year-old junior at Suncoast Community High School in Riviera Beach, knew there was a need to help seniors with technology ... get connected online and use Zoom and video calls ...
- Top technology for seniors: Devices and apps to boost wellness, safety and happinesson December 30, 2020 at 4:00 pm
Though seniors are becoming more technology savvy all the time ... Link your senior’s Echo to your Alexa app (the app needed to use the device), and then, in your app, you can take advantage of ...
- New York City teen launches business to teach senior citizens how to use technologyon December 30, 2020 at 3:07 am
It taught me that others must have been having this issue and that there must be many other seniors who need this same sort of one-on-one technology ... letting him use the classroom and Mittler ...