Design for seniors to tap market, industry urged
Hardware and software vendors are foolish to ignore the needs of the growing population of older computer and information technology users, the so-called “silver surfers”. US researchers offer convincing evidence in a monograph to be published in the International Journal of Intercultural Information Management that from the business perspective, seniors represent a rapidly growing sector of the market with the most disposable income to spend on these companies’ products.
Mark McMurtrey, Ronald McGaughey, James Downey and Steven Zeltmann of the Department of Management Information Systems at the University of Central Arkansas, in Conway, have brought together three research streams to show how the senior population is increasingly “wired”. Their evidence suggests that manufacturers are foolish in their failure to address the needs of this part of society, which often has disabilities – sight and hearing problems, issues with dexterity and cognitive deficits – that would benefit from specialist input and output hardware and software designed for greater accessibility. Moreover, it is a matter of social responsibility that such companies ought to address the needs of all of society and not just the younger generation and able bodied.
The researchers pulled together information and data from three main sources. First, data from the US Census’ current population reports (and other US Census Bureau statistics). Secondly, results reported in three large-scale studies by SeniorNet, the largest promoter of elderly computer and internet use in the world. And, lastly findings from a range of scholarly investigations with high citation numbers from the research literature. They hoped that the fusion of these resources would allow them to shed considerable light on the issue of senior citizens and their access and use of information technology.
The most apparent finding from the work is that seniors use information technology in much the same way as other people irrespective of age: they shop online, research topics of interest, stay in touch with friends and relatives, and carry out a multitude of other tasks from maintaining a Facebook presence to tweeting regularly, as do almost all other sectors of society. Likewise, many seniors use mobile technology, including cell phones, just as commonly as younger people. Given the physical and cognitive disabilities many people face as they get older, manufacturers of hardware and software vendors must take such findings into account in their long-term development and marketing strategies, not only will it help their profit line it is a more ethical approach to information technology.
The Latest Bing News on:
- 5 Most Stylish Video Game Characters of All Timeon August 2, 2022 at 1:27 am
Are you looking to cosplay a prominent video game character at some point this year? Why not tackle one of these five stylish icons?
- Monster Energy's Luiz Francisco Takes Silver in Men's Skateboard Park and Kelvin Hoefler Takes Bronze in Men's Skateboard Street at Dew Tour 2022on July 31, 2022 at 8:30 pm
Monster Energy congratulates Brazilian team rider Luiz Francisco on taking second place in the Men's Skateboard Park final on Saturday. In the night session at Lauridsen Skatepark in Des Moines, Iowa, ...
- Surf’s up in Ericeira and go with the flow in Sesimbraon July 30, 2022 at 7:41 pm
The last time I was in Lisbon was over 15 years ago (I know this because it was for a wedding, and my eldest child was then two; now, he’s at home prepping for the Leaving Cert). The combination of ...
- Vans US Open of Surfing: Here are a few standout surfers to watch at Huntington Beach conteston July 29, 2022 at 3:11 pm
Aug. 7 event draws a mix of competitors that ranges from those who grew up proving themselves at the famed surf break to international athletes who have traveled from afar for a chance ...
- Vans US Open of Surfing: Here are a few standout surfers to watch at Huntington Beach conteston July 29, 2022 at 10:05 am
Olympic silver medalist Kanoa Igarashi hits the lip ... Then, there is the long list of younger surfers hoping to earn big points in their quest to become top professionals – among the local ...
- Pensioner only music festival near Wolverhampton appeals to the silver crowd surferson July 28, 2022 at 6:09 am
V.I.P (Very Important Pensioners) Fest on Saturday, August 20, will be full of entertainment targeted at silver crowd surfers and will even start and finish earliwe than normal festivals.
- 13 Heroes Everyone Forgets Defeated The Silver Surferon July 27, 2022 at 10:15 am
Silver Surfer remains one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel universe, but there are some impressive heroes who have taken him down.
- Tequila Eterno Verano Launches with An Ode to the Sun, Sea and Joy of Livingon July 26, 2022 at 7:23 am
Inspired by the classic 1966 surf film “The Endless Summer,” Eterno ... Eterno Verano Blanco and Reposado have been awarded Silver Medals by the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
- Kim & Khloe Kardashian's Matching Silver Swimsuits Feel So Zenonon July 25, 2022 at 3:49 pm
Kim and Khloe Kardashian had a beach photoshoot that showed off Kim's latest swimwear drop, a metallic collection. Check out the high-shine looks.
- 'Fantastic Four' star Jessica Alba says Marvel movies are 'still quite Caucasian'on July 22, 2022 at 5:17 pm
Rise of the Silver Surfer, two years later. So she worked, but she's noted in the years since that, as a Latina, it was difficult even for her to win lead roles. In an interview published Thursday ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
Seniors using information technology
- American Battery Technology Company Continues Acquisition of Top Technical Talent with the Hiring of Lane Belanger as Staff Analytical Chemiston August 3, 2022 at 5:19 am
He joins the company's growing team of highly-competitive battery materials technical talent and is part of their expanded research and development division that focuses on battery metals extraction ...
- Using smartphones can actually boost memory skillson August 2, 2022 at 11:25 pm
Using digital devices, such as smartphones, could help improve memory skills rather than causing people to become lazy or forgetful, ...
- Integral Ad Science Names Thomas V. Joseph as Chief Technology Officeron August 2, 2022 at 10:42 pm
Integral Ad Science (Nasdaq: IAS), a global leader in digital media quality, today announced that it has named Thomas V. Joseph as Chief Technology Officer (CTO), effective August 8, 2022. As CTO, ...
- How smartphone use could improve memory: studyon August 2, 2022 at 2:30 pm
Story at a glance Using digital devices to store vital information could clear the mental space to recall less important things. Researchers at University College London found that digital ...
- Carefeed Secures $3 Million to Expand Use of its Digital Communication Platform in Senior Care and Other Patient Care Settingson August 2, 2022 at 6:03 am
Carefeed —a leading provider of simple, secure, cloud-based and HIPAA-compliant digital communication solutions—closed a $3 million financing round led by Reformation Partners with participation from ...
- Opinion: SilverSource launches seniors into cyberspaceon August 1, 2022 at 9:19 pm
As part of the program, SilverSource also expanded existing Wi-Fi at Willard Manor. A resident in the program told me she always got the feeling older adults are always the last ones on the totem pole ...
- Juggling Risk? How to Keep Data Safe When Using Multiple Cloud Platformson July 29, 2022 at 1:41 pm
To manage growing volumes of data, organizations are using multiple cloud providers. But to keep their data safe and compliant, companies should ensure that they have the right processes in place.
- Craig Richardville Named New Intermountain Healthcare Chief Digital And Information Officer Following Merger With SCL Healthon July 29, 2022 at 12:21 pm
With the recent merger announcement of Intermountain Healthcare with SCL Health, Craig Richardville has been named the new chief digital and information officer and senior vice president for the ...
- Some DeKalb area seniors are catching up with the timeson July 29, 2022 at 3:34 am
Elder Care Services in DeKalb offers Tech Savvy Seniors Phone Class on the first Friday of each month and a computer class on the third Friday of each month. Leah Graceffa, the information and ...
- Kingsport Senior Center combatting isolation with digital literacyon July 26, 2022 at 1:18 pm
The Kingsport Senior Center was awarded a digital literacy grant combating isolation in older Americans. The Senior Trust Consortium divided $3 million dollars into ...