Last February, Astro Teller, the director of Google’s (GOOG) secretive research lab, Google X, went to seek approval from Chief Executive Officer Larry Page for an unlikely acquisition.
Teller was proposing that Google buy Makani Power, a startup that develops wind turbines mounted on unmanned, fixed-wing aircraft tethered to the ground like a kite. The startup, Teller told Page, was seeing promising results, and, he added proudly, its prototypes had survived all recent tests intact.
Page approved Google X’s acquisition of Makani, which was being completed for an undisclosed amount at press time. He also had a demand. “He said we could have the budget and the people to go do this,” Teller says, “but that we had to make sure to crash at least five of the devices in the near future.”
As the polymath engineers and scientists who work there are fond of saying, Google X is the search giant’s factory for moonshots, those million-to-one scientific bets that require generous amounts of capital, massive leaps of faith, and a willingness to break things. Google X (the official spelling is Google [x]) is home to the self-driving car initiative and the Internet-connected eyeglasses, Google Glass, among other improbable projects.
The biggest moonshot of all may be the skunk works itself: With X, Google has created a laboratory whose mandate is to come up with technologies that sound more like plot contrivances from Star Trek than products that might satisfy the short-term demands of Google’s shareholders. “Google X is very consciously looking at things that Google in its right mind wouldn’t do,” says Richard DeVaul, a “rapid evaluator” at the lab. “They built the rocket pad far away from the widget factory, so if the rocket blows up, it’s hopefully not disrupting the core business.”
Since its creation in 2010, Google has kept X largely hidden from view. Over the past month, Bloomberg Businessweek spoke to many of X’s managers and project leaders, who work with abundant resources and few of the constraints that smothered similar corporate research efforts in the past. “Anything which is a huge problem for humanity we’ll sign up for, if we can find a way to fix it,” Teller says.
The Latest Bing News on:
Google’s Secret Lab
- Genius Brands International’s Kartoon Channel! to Stream Weekly “Friday Family Fun Films”on March 2, 2021 at 6:26 am
Scooby-Doo! Frankencreepy will kick-off Kartoon Channel!’s “Friday Family Fun Films” with four additional Scooby-Doo! movies rolling throughout 2021, including Scooby-Doo! and the Goblin King (May), ...
- How Black Storytellers Are Using XR and Afro-Futurism to Explore Ancestral Identityon February 27, 2021 at 12:09 pm
Stunning and accessible browser-based media (Web XR) has opened portals into Black ancestry, collective histories, and speculative futures.
- NASA sent a secret message to Mars. Meet the civilians who decoded it.on February 24, 2021 at 4:25 pm
A science-minded team of father and son collaborated to decode a NASA engineer's message on the Perseverence parachute that helped guide the rover to Mars. They weren't the only ones who tackled it.
- Truvian raises $105 million to commercialize its automated blood-testing platformon February 24, 2021 at 12:00 pm
Truvian, a startup developing an automated blood-testing platform, has raised $105 million to commercialize its product.
- Cybersecurity 202: The Networkon February 23, 2021 at 5:27 pm
Experts from across government, the private sector and security research community will vote on the most pressing issues in the field.
- NASA hid secret messages in the Perseverance parachuteon February 23, 2021 at 6:57 am
You might have noticed an unusual pattern to the red and white in the Perseverance rover's parachute as it landed on Mars last week, and NASA teased a secret message coded in the colors. Maxence Abela ...
- States couldn't afford to wait for the FCC's broadband maps to improve. So they didn'ton February 23, 2021 at 5:59 am
Georgia, Maine, Pennsylvania and others took mapping into their own hands, building their own granular data to pinpoint gaps in internet coverage and apply for federal funding.
- Expert Interview: How to Hire Top Talent in Startupson February 22, 2021 at 4:00 pm
The secret of my success is that we have gone to exceptional lengths to hire the best people in the world.” This quote, famously coined by Steve Jobs, perfectly sums up the importance people play in ...
- ‘Nose’ Documentary Follows Dior’s Perfume Creator On A Beautiful Journey Around The Worldon February 22, 2021 at 8:00 am
A delight for all the senses, the feature-length documentary gives unprecedented behind-the-scenes access to François Demachy and the mysterious world of perfumery.
- Democrat NYC lawmaker slams New York Gov. Cuomo: 'He constantly lied'on February 18, 2021 at 7:10 am
Here's an excerpt from a new piece in "New York" Magazine. Quote, "Beginning in September, much of The Lincoln Project staff convened in Park City, Utah where they hunkered down in a COVID safe pod ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Google’s Secret Lab
The Latest Bing News on:
- Digital Ad Stocks: Why TTD, SNAP, PINS and ROKU Closed Down Todayon March 3, 2021 at 3:54 pm
InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading Tips An announcement today by Alphabet’s (NASDAQ:GOOG, NASDAQ:GOOGL) ...
- Google Announces Landmark Move To Stop Selling Ads Based On User Web Browsing: WSJon March 3, 2021 at 11:34 am
Google intends to terminate ad sales based on browsing across multiple websites, the Wall Street Journal reports. Google intends to stop employing and investing in tracking technologies that ...
- Google Ad Tracking Changes 2021: Will Google Still Be Watching You?on March 3, 2021 at 11:18 am
InvestorPlace - Stock Market News, Stock Advice & Trading Tips Today Alphabet’s (NASDAQ:GOOG, NASDAQ:GOOGL) Google announced new ...
- How Video Has Become Essential in Multi-Billion Dollar Content Marketing Industryon March 3, 2021 at 10:20 am
Videos help content marketers in creating a great impact on their targeted audience while storytelling. Video is now the content of choice as consumers prefer videos over text. Videos help content ...
- Insider Selling: Alphabet Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG) CEO Sells 3,000 Shares of Stockon March 3, 2021 at 8:36 am
CEO Sundar Pichai sold 3,000 shares of Alphabet stock in a transaction dated Wednesday, March 3rd. The stock was sold at an average price of $2,068.50, for a total value of $6,205,500.00. Following ...
- Northeast Investment Management Sells 86 Shares of Alphabet Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG)on March 3, 2021 at 4:07 am
Northeast Investment Management reduced its position in shares of Alphabet Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG) by 1.0% in the 4th quarter, according to its most recent filing with the Securities and Exchange ...
- Mid Atlantic Financial Management Inc. ADV Acquires 144 Shares of Alphabet Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG)on March 3, 2021 at 4:07 am
Mid Atlantic Financial Management Inc. ADV lifted its holdings in shares of Alphabet Inc. (NASDAQ:GOOG) by 8.5% during the 4th quarter, Holdings Channel.com reports. The firm owned 1,843 shares of the ...
- Notable Monday Option Activity: GOOG, MTW, XOMon March 1, 2021 at 12:28 pm
Particularly high volume was seen for the $2100 strike call option expiring March 05, 2021, with 339 contracts trading so far today, representing approximately 33,900 underlying shares of GOOG. Below ...
- Are IDEXX, Alphabet & Amazon Poised For Stock Splits In 2021?on March 1, 2021 at 6:30 am
The S&P 500 is up a solid 75% from the lows of March 2020 and many large-cap stocks are now trading near all-time highs. In our indicative theme of Stocks Poised For A Split, we’ve identified a group ...
- Is Google Undervalued?on February 15, 2021 at 1:20 pm
In this example, I will take a look at Alphabet Inc (NASDAQ: GOOG) (NASDAQ: GOOGL) through a stock valuation multiples approach. First, you will want to find out how the current stock price ...