Bed bugs now need to watch their step.
Researchers at Stony Brook University have developed a safe, non-chemical resource that literally stops bed bugs in their tracks. This innovative new technology acts as a man-made web consisting of microfibers 50 times thinner than a human hair which entangle and trap bed bugs and other insects. This patent-pending technology is being commercialized by Fibertrap, a private company that employs non-toxic pest control methods.
The nanotech solution was developed at Stony Brook University’s Center for Advanced Technology in Sensor Materials (Sensor CAT), a program funded by NYSTAR, as part of a statewide effort to encourage greater technological and economic collaboration between industry and research universities.
“Our nanotechnology produces entanglements that are millions of times more dense than woven products such as fabrics or carpets,” said lead researcher Miriam Rafailovich, Distinguished Professor of Materials Science and Engineering and Co-Director in the Program of Chemical and Molecular Engineering at Stony Brook University. “The microfibers trap them by attaching to microstructures on their legs taking away their ability to move, which stops them from feeding and reproducing.”
Successful tests were performed using live bed bugs and termites in Professor Rafailovich’s lab with the assistance of Ying Liu, a scientist with Stony Brook University’s Advanced Energy Research and Technology Center and Stony Brook graduate students Shan He and Linxi Zhang.
The Latest Bing News on:
- Nintendo Is Working On a Patch For A Late Game-Breaking Bug In Metroid Dreadon October 14, 2021 at 7:00 pm
Nintendo has issued a notice via its Support page that warns users of a potential bug in Metroid Dread’s late game areas that results in the game force closing and may stop users from progressing. The ...
- Nintendo shares how to avoid a bug in Metroid Dread that prevents progress and promises to fix it with a patchon October 14, 2021 at 6:55 pm
There is a bug in Metroid Dread that can prevent players from progressing further in the game. Nintendo has taken notice of the bug and tweeted out that it is working on a patch to fix it. The company ...
- Late game breaking bug in Metroid Dread discovered, patch on the wayon October 14, 2021 at 6:49 pm
Nintendo has announced that a game breaking bug in Metroid Dread has been discovered toward the end of the game. The bug involves the markers you can play on the map to help keep track of whatever you ...
- Major Metroid Dread Progression Bug Discovered, Patch Incomingon October 14, 2021 at 5:40 pm
Nearly a week after the game's release, Nintendo has warned fans that a new bug has been discovered in Metroid Dread, which prevents the player from making any additional progress towards the end of ...
- HTC’s upcoming Vive Flow VR headset leaks, revealing bug-eyed design for ‘meditation and media consumption’on October 13, 2021 at 2:50 am
HTC is also reportedly working on a metaverse service called Viveport Verse to ‘explore the world beyond physical space’ ...
- Injury bug leaves Detroit Pistons shorthanded ahead of Wednesday’s exhibitionon October 12, 2021 at 7:29 pm
The Detroit Pistons can’t seem to shake the injury bug during the preseason. So, they’ll be heading into their preseason matchup against the New York Knicks shorthanded. In Tuesday evening’s iteration ...
- Bitten by injury bug, Senior Tigers still get by League City Cowboyson October 12, 2021 at 6:09 pm
Senior Tigers sidelines, like all the other youth football teams, always have a tent to provide shade. But the Tigers were missing their second tent this past weeken ...
- Cockroaches cross the finish line: 2017 Bug Race in West Palm Beachon October 12, 2021 at 6:00 am
Palm Beach Atlantic University invites students, faculty, and community members to race cockroaches in its 35th Annual Bug Race, held on Nov. 8, 2017.
- 'Fortnite' V18.20 Patch Notes: Updates to Impostors Mode, Return Requests and Bug Fixeson October 12, 2021 at 5:21 am
The V18.20 update for "Fortnite" Season 8 has been released and it makes improvements to the Impostors game mode and return requests. Here are the patch notes.
- Apple releases iOS 15.0.2 with a security fix for a bug ‘under active exploitation’on October 11, 2021 at 11:09 am
Apple today released its second minor update to iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, which includes an “important security update” for a zero-day bug under active exploitation. Both iOS 15.0.2 and iPadOS 15.0.2, ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Feed has no items.