There are 23 megacities (or city states) in the world now. By 2025, it’s predicted that there will be 37.
Tokyo alone is forecasted to have over 37.2 million residents by 2025, more than live in Canada. According to the United Nations, over half the world now lives in cities – but by 2050, over 70% of the world will be urban dwellers.
In the second installment of our “8 Trends That Will Shape Humanity” series, we look at the rise of the “city state” and how the coming consolidation of humanity into cities will change life for residents of these massive urban hubs.
What is life like in the city state of the future?
One aspect of city state living is that homes will get smaller. With space at a premium, apartments and houses will shrink and become flexible, multi-purpose dwellings. Graham Hill’s Life Edited apartment is a present day model of this concept. This downsizing of personal space means that people will have to carefully consider what physical objects they keep in their homes. This is where the sharing economy comes in.
What is the sharing economy? It’s a growing movement that enables the sharing of personal resources amongst members. Recently estimated to be worth $3.5 billion by Forbes magazine, the sharing economy was heralded by innovators like Zipcar (a car sharing service) and Airbnb (a house and apartment sharing service). While there are numerous free sharing services, generally the sharing transaction is monetized and handled by a third party company. These sharing services have allowed members to make money by renting out things and space that would have otherwise sat unused. And people are truly sharing almost everything.
The sharing economy now includes:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Sharing Economy International Inc. (OTCMKTS:SEII) Short Interest Updateon June 11, 2022 at 12:24 am
Sharing Economy International Inc. (OTCMKTS:SEII – Get Rating) saw a large decline in short interest in May. As of May 31st, there was short interest totalling 3,700 shares, a decline of 63.4% from ...
- Sharing Economy Entered into MOU with QEV Technologies to Plan for Joint Venture in the development of New Energy Vehicleson June 8, 2022 at 8:40 am
HONG KONG, June 8, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Sharing Economy International Inc. ("SEII") (OTCQB: SEII), announced today that the company has signed an memorandum of understanding with QEV Technologies S.L.
- Sharing economyon June 7, 2022 at 1:00 am
borrowed or rented, often through online transactions, in an effort to save money, reduce costs and cut waste. Prime business examples of the sharing economy include Airbnb, Zipcar and the Uber Pool ...
- Top Chicago, IL Sharing Economy Companies (25)on June 1, 2022 at 6:50 am
The role of the Federal Reserve System, since its establishment by an act of Congress in 1913 , is to foster a strong economy and a stable financial system.
- Sharing Economy International Inc. (OTCMKTS:SEII) Short Interest Updateon May 26, 2022 at 8:43 am
Sharing Economy International Inc. (OTCMKTS:SEII – Get Rating) was the target of a large decrease in short interest in the month of May. As of May 15th, there was short interest totalling 10,100 ...
- China Is Likely to Become a Test Bed for Sharing Economy Innovationon May 19, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Don't let Airbnb's struggle in China throw you. The country shows all the signs of being an innovative laboratory for sharing businesses, says Adam Minter, a journalist covering the country.
- GlobalData Plc: Technology Advancements Expected to Drive Sharing Economyon May 18, 2022 at 9:30 am
LONDON, May 18, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sharing economy is an economic system in which private individuals share assets and services, either free or for a charge, often using a community-based online ...
- Which Sharing Economy Services Protect User Data From the Government?on May 11, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Travelers should remain wary of sharing economy data sharing policies and the security of their personal information from third-parties. Among the numerous concerns that travelers have when they ...
- The Sharing Economy: The End of Employment and the Rise of Crowd-Based Capitalismon May 3, 2022 at 11:54 am
What is new, in the "sharing economy," is that you are not helping a friend for free; you are providing these services to a stranger for money. In this book, Arun Sundararajan, an expert on the ...
- What's Yours Is Mine: Against the Sharing Economyon April 28, 2022 at 7:16 pm
And in What’s Yours Is Mine, technologist Tom Slee argues the so-called sharing economy damages development, extends harsh free-market practices into previously protected areas of our lives, and ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Nomex Honeycomb Market Size, Share-Global Trends, Market Demand, Industry Analysis, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast 2028on June 21, 2022 at 11:31 pm
Global Nomex Honeycomb Market includes Precise company profiling of leading players of the Nomex Honeycomb market. All ...
- Uber bringing back shared rides in New York, San Franciscoon June 21, 2022 at 5:15 pm
America is ready to take rides with strangers again, at least as far as Uber’s concerned. The ride-share company is bringing back its pool program which allows riders to save some money by sharing ...
- Uber brings back shared rides to nine U.S. cities this summeron June 21, 2022 at 1:10 pm
Uber is bringing back shared rides in several U.S. cities, after halting the service for more than two years in an attempt to help protect riders — and drivers — from COVID-19. Driving the news: Uber ...
- Shared Ubers are back: Select cities now offering shared rides, which can help trim costson June 21, 2022 at 11:19 am
Uber on Tuesday announced the return of shared rides in select U.S. markets after pausing shared rides in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Uber is bringing back shared rides to 9 US citieson June 21, 2022 at 9:44 am
Uber is restarting shared rides in a handful of major US cities after a more than two-year hiatus due to the pandemic, the company announced on Tuesday.
- Uber revives shared rides in U.S. for first time during pandemicon June 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Uber is letting passengers share rides with strangers again, after putting the option on pause for two years due to the coronavirus pandemic. The rebranded feature, called UberX Share, is available in ...
- Shared rides are back from Uber—in some citieson June 21, 2022 at 8:32 am
Shared rides in Uber, which haven’t been an option since the start of the pandemic, are back in select cities. The ride-sharing service has resumed the practice, which lets people share a car with ...
- Uber restarting shared rides in U.S. cities like New York and San Franciscoon June 21, 2022 at 7:29 am
Uber and Lyftsuspended shared rides in March 2020 as the Covid-19 pandemic began to ravage communities across the globe.
- Share raises $12M to help companies offer transportation to their employeeson June 21, 2022 at 6:00 am
Share Mobility, which is developing services to help companies offer transportation to employees, has raised $12 million in venture capital.
- Uber will bring back shared rides to nine US cities this summeron June 21, 2022 at 5:00 am
Uber Pool — in the early months of the pandemic as a safety measure. But the company has now relaunched the feature under a new name, UberX Share, which is available starting today in New York City, ...