There are 23 megacities (or city states) in the world now. By 2025, it’s predicted that there will be 37.
Tokyo alone is forecasted to have over 37.2 million residents by 2025, more than live in Canada. According to the United Nations, over half the world now lives in cities – but by 2050, over 70% of the world will be urban dwellers.
In the second installment of our “8 Trends That Will Shape Humanity” series, we look at the rise of the “city state” and how the coming consolidation of humanity into cities will change life for residents of these massive urban hubs.
What is life like in the city state of the future?
One aspect of city state living is that homes will get smaller. With space at a premium, apartments and houses will shrink and become flexible, multi-purpose dwellings. Graham Hill’s Life Edited apartment is a present day model of this concept. This downsizing of personal space means that people will have to carefully consider what physical objects they keep in their homes. This is where the sharing economy comes in.
What is the sharing economy? It’s a growing movement that enables the sharing of personal resources amongst members. Recently estimated to be worth $3.5 billion by Forbes magazine, the sharing economy was heralded by innovators like Zipcar (a car sharing service) and Airbnb (a house and apartment sharing service). While there are numerous free sharing services, generally the sharing transaction is monetized and handled by a third party company. These sharing services have allowed members to make money by renting out things and space that would have otherwise sat unused. And people are truly sharing almost everything.
The sharing economy now includes:
The Latest Bing News on:
- The Merger of Leading Health Industry Non-Profits Readies Massachusetts for a Person-Centered Health Data Economyon May 3, 2021 at 9:29 pm
On April 1, the New England Health Exchange Network (NEHEN) and the Massachusetts Health Data Consortium (MHDC) merged their organizations. The combined organization, retaining MHDC's name, will ...
- Reviving Islamic social finance for a sharing economyon May 3, 2021 at 2:05 pm
As we write this, the world community is witnessing one of the most devastating humanitarian crises in the history of mankind, together with deep ...
- The future of insurance & the sharing economyon May 3, 2021 at 7:52 am
Discover the three factors that are vital to working with sharing economy businesses, according to RIMS LIVE 2021 panelists.
- Sharing Economy International Re-launching BuddiGo Platform to Provide Local Food and Grocery Delivery Serviceson April 28, 2021 at 4:30 am
Since the outbreak of COVID-19 last year, Sharing Economy International Inc. (OTCQB: SEII) has paused the operation of the P2P food and ...
- WSGF Publishes Update on Sharing Economy Fintech P2P Alt Real Estate Finance Appon April 23, 2021 at 7:27 am
(OTC Pink: WSGF) ("WSGF") today published an update on the company's Vaycaychella P2P Alternative Real Estate Investment Application expected to be released in May and potentially as early as the end ...
- Sharing Economy International Invests to develop NFT Technology into ECrent to Open Up Digital Items Sharingon April 23, 2021 at 4:30 am
As the pioneer in the sharing economy market, based on the Sharing Block engine which is the transaction engine based on blockchain technology that Sharing Economy International Inc. (OTCQB:SEII) has ...
- The Sharing Economy: The End of Employment and the Rise of Crowd-Based Capitalismon April 23, 2021 at 2:59 am
(Although I haven’t seen a Tesla in my neighborhood as yet. That’s the car... 1 The Sharing Economy, Market Economies, and Gift Economies 1 The Sharing Economy, Market Economies, and Gift Economies ...
- Boulder City native finds success in app that brings storage space into the sharing economyon April 23, 2021 at 2:11 am
Neighbor is a sharing economy storage marketplace that connects those looking to store items — anything from boxes of random belongings to a lawn mower or vehicle — with others in a particular area ...
- What's Yours Is Mine: Against the Sharing Economyon April 21, 2021 at 7:29 pm
The news is full of their names, supposedly the vanguard of a rethinking of capitalism. Lyft, Airbnb, Taskrabbit, Uber, and many more companies have a mandate ...
- The challenge of creating a sharing economy from Bangkok’s wealth of canalson April 21, 2021 at 4:00 am
Individual Thais have joined the government in donating cash, food and other necessities to people suffering the fallout of Covid-19. Sharing is proving to be our most powerful weapon in fighting a ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Walmart explored offering cloud-based gaming serviceon May 4, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Not content with retail sales supremacy, Walmart had ambitions to launch a cloud-based gaming service, according to Apple vs. Epic Games court documents.
- Uber rival Bolt launches car-sharing service in Europeon May 4, 2021 at 6:45 am
Bolt has launched a car-sharing service in Europe as it looks to diversify its revenue streams and compete with Uber.
- Bike-Sharing Service Marketon May 4, 2021 at 6:45 am
Bike-Sharing Service Market Report aims to provide an overview of the industry through detailed market segmentation. The report offers thorough information about the overview and scope of the market ...
- Tesla Car Share Program Expands Services to Flagstaff/Phoenix for Personal, Business Travelon May 4, 2021 at 5:54 am
Arizonans are often faced with a hurdle when traveling between Phoenix and Flagstaff because it's too close to fly, but too far to use a traditional ride share company like Uber. A new service unlike ...
- Uber Rival Bolt Adds Car-Sharing Service as Next Expansion Pathon May 4, 2021 at 1:00 am
Bolt Technology OU, which competes with Uber Technologies Inc. in Europe and Africa, will roll out a new car-sharing project in the Estonian capital, according to founder and Chief Executive Officer ...
- Does Peoples Financial Services' (NASDAQ:PFIS) Share Price Gain of 19% Match Its Business Performance?on May 4, 2021 at 12:33 am
Unfortunately for shareholders, while the Peoples Financial Services Corp. (NASDAQ:PFIS) share price is up 19% in the last year, that falls short of the market return. Unfortunately the longer term ...
- Riders Share Debuts Motorcycle P2P Subscription Serviceon May 3, 2021 at 7:44 pm
Riders Share, a motorcycle sharing marketplace, has given bikers the option to pay a monthly subscription for discounted rides across the marketplace.
- Automation-as-a-Service (AaaS) Market Size, Share and Major Industry Players and Forecast to 2026 : Reports and Dataon May 3, 2021 at 12:58 pm
Market is forecast to reach USD 15.47 Billion by 2026, according to a new report by Reports and Data. New York, NY -- (SBWIRE) -- 05/03/2021 -- Increasing demand for robotic process automation (RPA) ...
- Markt to Provide Shared Services to realMLS Across Noncontiguous Marketson May 3, 2021 at 11:12 am
(realMLS) has entered into an agreement with Markt® for shared services to enhance their MLS offerings. realMLS joins Metro Multiple Listing Service Inc. (Metro MLS®) and Arizona Regional Multiple ...
- Riders Share Launches Rider Pass, Industry-First Subscription Service for Peer-to-Peer Motorcycle Rentalson May 3, 2021 at 8:18 am
The largest motorcycle sharing marketplace, Riders Share, announced today that bikers can now pay a monthly subscription for discounted rides across the motorcycle rental marketplace. The Rider Pass ...