There are 23 megacities (or city states) in the world now. By 2025, it’s predicted that there will be 37.
Tokyo alone is forecasted to have over 37.2 million residents by 2025, more than live in Canada. According to the United Nations, over half the world now lives in cities – but by 2050, over 70% of the world will be urban dwellers.
In the second installment of our “8 Trends That Will Shape Humanity” series, we look at the rise of the “city state” and how the coming consolidation of humanity into cities will change life for residents of these massive urban hubs.
What is life like in the city state of the future?
One aspect of city state living is that homes will get smaller. With space at a premium, apartments and houses will shrink and become flexible, multi-purpose dwellings. Graham Hill’s Life Edited apartment is a present day model of this concept. This downsizing of personal space means that people will have to carefully consider what physical objects they keep in their homes. This is where the sharing economy comes in.
What is the sharing economy? It’s a growing movement that enables the sharing of personal resources amongst members. Recently estimated to be worth $3.5 billion by Forbes magazine, the sharing economy was heralded by innovators like Zipcar (a car sharing service) and Airbnb (a house and apartment sharing service). While there are numerous free sharing services, generally the sharing transaction is monetized and handled by a third party company. These sharing services have allowed members to make money by renting out things and space that would have otherwise sat unused. And people are truly sharing almost everything.
The sharing economy now includes:
The Latest Bing News on:
- California’s fight over the gig economy underscores the need for labor law reformon January 15, 2021 at 9:57 am
Big tech and organized labor are battling it out—and Californians are getting caught in the crosshairs. Proposition 22, a ballot measure that classified app-based drivers as independent contractors, ...
- This Men’s Rental App Is Rethinking Fashion’s Sharing Economyon January 12, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Seasons is a new rental platform with the best new menswear designers, but its potential goes further than that: It’s also fostering a community and creating space for people to engage with fashion ...
- Charge Enterprises and Naki Power, Europe’s Largest Power-Sharing System, to Bring Power Sharing to North Americaon January 12, 2021 at 4:27 am
The popular portable charger company shares the same vision for the future of mobility and power sharing, with plans to expand reach alongside TransWorld in North America. PARIS, ...
- This fake toothbrush-sharing startup brilliantly mocks all things Silicon Valleyon January 8, 2021 at 2:50 pm
A fake toothbrush sharing startup fooled people on Twitter. Here's why people are laughing — and what it says about the venture industry.
- Gig Economy and Sharing Economy Market to See Major Growth by 2021-2026 : Upwork, Couchsurfing, Uber, Door Dash, Airbnbon January 6, 2021 at 11:30 am
The Gig Economy and Sharing Economy Market has witnessed continuous growth in the last few years and is projected to grow even further during the forecast period of 2020-2026.
- Marsh Launches UK & Ireland Sharing Economy & Mobility (SE&M) Industry Groupon January 6, 2021 at 4:25 am
Marsh, the insurance broker and risk adviser, has launched a dedicated Sharing Economy & Mobility (SE&M) industry group in the UK & Ireland.
- Global Sharing Economy Based On Smart Contracts Market Report 2021: Industry Size, Share, Development, Growth, and Demand Forecast to 2026on January 4, 2021 at 8:26 pm
Final Report will add the analysis of the impact of COVID-19 on this industry." The Global "Sharing Economy Based On ...
- Sharing economyon January 3, 2021 at 4:01 pm
One in five UK adults say they want to start a business in 2021. That figure rises to over one … Small business has asked the chancellor for a multibillion support package to help get it through to ...
- Sharing Economy Based On Smart Contracts market Analysis Reveals Explosive Growth | Steemit, ShareRing, IBM, Soramitsu, Intelon January 1, 2021 at 6:28 pm
Sharing Economy Based On Smart Contracts market Analysis Reveals Explosive Growth | Steemit, ShareRing, IBM, Soramitsu, Intel 
- China’s Thriving Bike-Sharing Economyon January 1, 2021 at 4:00 pm
In China today, the bike-sharing economy is booming. If you happen to walk around in some first or second tier city in China, you’d find that the sidewalks of streets are filled with yellow or ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
The Latest Bing News on:
- Having suffered ‘fair share’ of concussions, new SMU TE Grant Calcaterra explains why he came out of football retirementon January 18, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Way back when Grant Calcaterra was in high school, the star tight end from Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif., hurt his thumb after catching a ball.
- Here's what to expect from L&T Technology Services's earningson January 18, 2021 at 6:06 am
L&T Technology Services reveals earnings for Q3.Analysts are expecting earnings per share of INR 16.51.Go here to watch L&T ...
- Here's what Wall Street expects from Discover Financial Services's earnings reporton January 18, 2021 at 6:06 am
Discover Financial Services will be reporting earnings from the last quarter.Wall Street predict expect Discover Financial ...
- Well Testing Service Market Latest Industry Size, Growth, Share, Demand, Trends, Competitive Landscape and Forecasts to 2026on January 18, 2021 at 2:32 am
The global well testing services market is expected to gain momentum in response to the rising adoption of IoT by oil ...
- Share Streaming Accounts? Set Up Separate User Profileson January 18, 2021 at 1:14 am
Here's how to keep your recommendations and history at least semi-private. No one needs to know how much Bridgerton you watched.
- Location Based Services Market Size & Share By Sales Revenue, Future Demands, Growth Factors and Emerging Trends Forecast to 2026on January 18, 2021 at 12:06 am
The overall location based services market is expected to grow from USD 16.14 Billion in 2018 to USD 66.61 Billion by ...
- Does WhatsApp’s New Terms of Service Share Data with Facebook?on January 13, 2021 at 4:16 pm
WhatsApp’s new terms of service as of early January 2021 allows the messaging app to share bank account information and other data with Facebook, as well as censor private messages. WhatsApp has ...
- Twitter Suspends Tens of Thousands of Accounts Dedicated to Sharing QAnon Contenton January 11, 2021 at 7:09 pm
Twitter Inc said it has suspended more than 70,000 accounts since Friday that were primarily dedicated to sharing QAnon content after last week's violence in Washington when supporters of President ...
- Cleaning COVID: Carroll County Public Schools’ building service workers share pandemic experienceson January 7, 2021 at 5:00 am
Operational staff increased their duties since the coronavirus pandemic. Some building service staff shared what their jobs have been like this year as well as the safety concerns that followed.
- Henry County commissioners adopt shared services agreement with citieson January 6, 2021 at 10:20 am
The Henry County Board of Commissioners voted unanimously at a Dec. 29 special called meeting to approve a resolution finalizing and adopting a service delivery strategy agreement.