While the search continues for the Fountain of Youth, researchers may have found the body’s “fountain of aging”: the brain region known as the hypothalamus.
For the first time, scientists at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University report that the hypothalamus of mice controls aging throughout the body. Their discovery of a specific age-related signaling pathway opens up new strategies for combating diseases of old age and extending lifespan. The paper was published today in the online edition of Nature.
“Scientists have long wondered whether aging occurs independently in the body’s various tissues or if it could be actively regulated by an organ in the body,” said senior author Dongsheng Cai, M.D., Ph.D., professor of molecular pharmacology at Einstein. “It’s clear from our study that many aspects of aging are controlled by the hypothalamus. What’s exciting is that it’s possible — at least in mice — to alter signaling within the hypothalamus to slow down the aging process and increase longevity.”
The hypothalamus, an almond-sized structure located deep within the brain, is known to have fundamental roles in growth, development, reproduction, and metabolism. Dr. Cai suspected that the hypothalamus might also play a key role in aging through the influence it exerts throughout the body.
“As people age,” he said, “you can detect inflammatory changes in various tissues. Inflammation is also involved in various age-related diseases, such as metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease, neurological disease and many types of cancer.” Over the past several years, Dr. Cai and his research colleagues showed that inflammatory changes in the hypothalamus can give rise to various components of metabolic syndrome (a combination of health problems that can lead to heart disease and diabetes).
To find out how the hypothalamus might affect aging, Dr. Cai decided to study hypothalamic inflammation by focusing on a protein complex called NF-?B (nuclear factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells). “Inflammation involves hundreds of molecules, and NF-?B sits right at the center of that regulatory map,” he said.
In the current study, Dr. Cai and his team demonstrated that activating the NF-?B pathway in the hypothalamus of mice significantly accelerated the development of aging, as shown by various physiological, cognitive, and behavioral tests. “The mice showed a decrease in muscle strength and size, in skin thickness, and in their ability to learn — all indicators of aging. Activating this pathway promoted systemic aging that shortened the lifespan,” he said.
Conversely, Dr. Cai and his group found that blocking the NF-?B pathway in the hypothalamus of mouse brains slowed aging and increased median longevity by about 20 percent, compared to controls.
The Latest Bing News on:
Key to Aging
- Analysis:SAP Pitches Cloud Transformation to Pandemic-Hit Customerson January 28, 2021 at 7:56 am
SAP says it is ready to lead customers into a cloud-based future, but the business software group may need all its powers of persuasion to convince its 400,000-strong client base to launch a major ...
- Anti-aging treatments: These two drug types are being investigatedon January 28, 2021 at 7:42 am
While more people may be living longer than ever before, this increase in life expectancy is accompanied by the development of age-related diseases—such as cancer or type 2 diabetes. This is why the a ...
- Probiotic yogurt is witnessing surging demand in the global market owing to its benefits to all age groups: New Report Analyseson January 28, 2021 at 6:45 am
Market players are focusing on the production of exotic flavours of yogurt to attain a competitive edge. DUBAI, UAE / ACCESSWIRE / January 28, 2021 / Future Market Insights: FMI states in its recent ...
- 22 brain exercises to improve memory, cognition, and creativityon January 28, 2021 at 4:35 am
Some activities may boost brain function and connectivity, which may help protect the brain from age-related degeneration. Here are 22 brain exercises to try.
- BioViva Science USA Inc. Has Built a Quantified Aging Platform to Determine Which Aging Interventions Work… and Which Do Noton January 27, 2021 at 10:00 am
BioViva Science USA, Inc. has long been at the forefront of longevity research, making headlines in 2015 when CEO Liz Parrish became the first ...
- Anti-Aging Market Analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts to 2027on January 26, 2021 at 3:05 am
utm_source=Marketwatch.com&utm_medium=AK Key players in global Anti-Aging market include: EstA(C)e Lauder Companies Inc., Allergan plc, Avon Products Inc., L’Oreal SA, Procter & Gamble Co ...
- Healthcare: The key to a new age of economic developmenton January 25, 2021 at 6:15 am
nonprofits often lose these team members simply because they need better access to affordable health insurance as they contemplate starting a family or age out of their parent’s insurance plan.
- Anti-Aging Market Size 2020 Research Report includes Development Trends, Key Manufacturers, Competitive Analysis and Forecast to 2024on January 24, 2021 at 11:43 pm
Anti-Aging Market ” forecast 2020-2024 report analyses the current and future competitive scenario of the global Healthcare , Pharmaceuticals industry. Anti-Aging report gives an extensive analysis on ...
- This $29 Anti-Aging Moisturizer Is the Key to My Three-Step Skincare Routineon January 22, 2021 at 1:36 pm
I pride myself on my low-maintenance skincare routine. It involves—get ready for this—just three products. You may be thinking: "Just three? Aren't you missing something?" To answer your questions: ...
- Stanford study identifies a key factor in mental agingon January 20, 2021 at 11:27 am
Scientists have identified a key factor in mental aging and shown that it might be prevented or reversed by fixing a glitch in the immune system’s front-line soldiers. Suppose Smokey the Bear ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Key to Aging
The Latest Bing News on:
Fountain of aging
- The Items That Kim Michelson, Co-Founder of Honest Game, Needs to Leadon January 25, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Kim Michelson co-founded Honest Game in 2019 with the idea that every student should have equal access to a great education. The Chicago-based company helps student athletes maintain college ...
- Tri-C hosts ‘Great Grocery Giveaway’ planning to serve over 900 mealson January 25, 2021 at 9:06 am
Cuyahoga Community College is partnering with Western Reserve Area Agency on Aging to serve over 900 meals at the western campus on Jan.27. Each of the food boxes will include the equivalent of $60 ...
- Betty Friedanon January 25, 2021 at 7:39 am
As a feminist, an activist, and an author, Betty Friedan helped launch the women's movement of the 1960s with her groundbreaking book, The Feminine Mystique.
- ‘You are the Mother F–king Factor’: Evelyn Lozada’s Basic Bun Look Has Fans Wanting Moreon January 22, 2021 at 8:30 am
Evelyn Lozada kept it simple but beautiful for her fans on Instagram after uploading a photo on Tuesday, Jan. 19. Wearing a warm lipstick color, eye ...
- FOUNTAIN OF FREE SENIOR HOUSING SUPPORT Residential Assisted Living National Association Offering Memberships at No Coston January 20, 2021 at 9:00 pm
The Residential Assisted Living National Association (RALNA) is the new one-stop-shop offering a fountain of free resources for the senior housing industry. RALNA memberships are now free of charge.
- FOUNTAIN OF FREE SENIOR HOUSING SUPPORT Residential Assisted Living National Association Offering Memberships at No Coston January 19, 2021 at 4:00 pm
With 10,000 baby boomers turning age 65 every day, aging demographics in America exhibit ... of senior housing by providing free access to a fountain of information. Energetic entrepreneurs ...
- Fountain Healthy Aging Inc.on January 19, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Stocks: Real-time U.S. stock quotes reflect trades reported through Nasdaq only; comprehensive quotes and volume reflect trading in all markets and are delayed at least 15 minutes. International ...
- When all are forever youngon January 16, 2021 at 8:05 am
Sergio and Celina are a married couple who have long been living in a farm. Their energy seems boundless. Laboring from daybreak until dawn, they go about their daily chores seemingly without tiring ...
- This Anti-Aging Eye Cream Is So Good, Shoppers Call It a ‘Magic Wrinkle Eraser’on January 15, 2021 at 1:49 pm
And one under-$20 anti-aging eye cream has done just that, turning skeptics into believers with its targeted treatment for improving the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The $17 Neutrogena Rapid ...
- Lauren Hutton, 77, is spotted carrying anti-ageing magazine The Science of Looking Youngeron January 6, 2021 at 12:39 pm
Supermodel Lauren Hutton, 77, was spotted by DailyMail.com last week carrying anti-ageing magazine The Science of Looking Younger.