While the search continues for the Fountain of Youth, researchers may have found the body’s “fountain of aging”: the brain region known as the hypothalamus.
For the first time, scientists at Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University report that the hypothalamus of mice controls aging throughout the body. Their discovery of a specific age-related signaling pathway opens up new strategies for combating diseases of old age and extending lifespan. The paper was published today in the online edition of Nature.
“Scientists have long wondered whether aging occurs independently in the body’s various tissues or if it could be actively regulated by an organ in the body,” said senior author Dongsheng Cai, M.D., Ph.D., professor of molecular pharmacology at Einstein. “It’s clear from our study that many aspects of aging are controlled by the hypothalamus. What’s exciting is that it’s possible — at least in mice — to alter signaling within the hypothalamus to slow down the aging process and increase longevity.”
The hypothalamus, an almond-sized structure located deep within the brain, is known to have fundamental roles in growth, development, reproduction, and metabolism. Dr. Cai suspected that the hypothalamus might also play a key role in aging through the influence it exerts throughout the body.
“As people age,” he said, “you can detect inflammatory changes in various tissues. Inflammation is also involved in various age-related diseases, such as metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease, neurological disease and many types of cancer.” Over the past several years, Dr. Cai and his research colleagues showed that inflammatory changes in the hypothalamus can give rise to various components of metabolic syndrome (a combination of health problems that can lead to heart disease and diabetes).
To find out how the hypothalamus might affect aging, Dr. Cai decided to study hypothalamic inflammation by focusing on a protein complex called NF-?B (nuclear factor kappa-light-chain-enhancer of activated B cells). “Inflammation involves hundreds of molecules, and NF-?B sits right at the center of that regulatory map,” he said.
In the current study, Dr. Cai and his team demonstrated that activating the NF-?B pathway in the hypothalamus of mice significantly accelerated the development of aging, as shown by various physiological, cognitive, and behavioral tests. “The mice showed a decrease in muscle strength and size, in skin thickness, and in their ability to learn — all indicators of aging. Activating this pathway promoted systemic aging that shortened the lifespan,” he said.
Conversely, Dr. Cai and his group found that blocking the NF-?B pathway in the hypothalamus of mouse brains slowed aging and increased median longevity by about 20 percent, compared to controls.
The Latest Bing News on:
Key to Aging
- Custom diet, lifestyle changes key to optimising mental health: Studyon March 3, 2021 at 3:03 am
While a balanced diet is advisable to provide the body all the essential nutrients, customized diets and lifestyle changes could be key to optimising mental health, according to new research including ...
- In Mississippi, small-town bluesman keeps aging music aliveon March 3, 2021 at 1:15 am
Growing up, Holmes learned from his neighbor, "the father of the Bentonia blues." Henry Stuckey, an aging World War I veteran, played to entertain Holmes and his 13 siblings on their porch. The style ...
- Custom diets are essential to mental health, new research showson March 3, 2021 at 12:44 am
Customized diets and lifestyle changes could be key to optimizing mental health, according to new research including faculty at Binghamton University, State University of New York.
- Vaccinating children could be the key to ending the pandemicon March 2, 2021 at 9:41 am
Why are children last in line to receive the vaccine? And what is the role of children in achieving herd immunity? There are good reasons to pursue the immunization of children. Chief among them is ...
- Anti-Aging Therapies Market to Account for Over (%) Revenue Generated in Hospital Application: New Studyon March 2, 2021 at 6:05 am
A recent systematic review report on “ Anti-Aging Therapies Market Scope Breakdown by | Segmentation and Research Methodology (2022-2031) | Changing the Face of Medical Devices Industry”, came out ...
- In the Wake of ‘Returnageddon’ Retailers Seek New Solutions to an Age-Old Problemon March 2, 2021 at 5:04 am
It was the kind of “-geddon” that could be seen coming from a mile away — a perfect storm combining an ecommerce boom; retailers, fulfillment centers and shipping providers that were already stretched ...
- Anti-Aging Devices Market Outlook, Industry Demand and Supply, Key Prospects, Pricing Strategies, Forecast and Top Manufacturers Analysis Reporton March 1, 2021 at 10:59 pm
The rising incidence of skin cancer among women is one of the significant factors influencing the market growth. anti-aging devices market is projected to be worth USD 14.22 Billion by 2027, according ...
- Noisy brain activity contributes to aging-related navigation impairmentson March 1, 2021 at 10:03 am
Too much activity in the hippocampus may cause navigation impairments seen in aging adults, according to new research published in JNeurosci.
- Plan to continue rollout of Covid vaccine by age rather than prioritising key workers 'makes sense', former chief scientific adviser says amid fury from teacher and police unionson February 27, 2021 at 8:02 am
He added: 'An age-related rollout fits with where people ... the Government of being 'lazy' in its decision not to prioritise key workers. Plans for a night-time vaccine drive during Ramadan ...
- The key to winning customers in the digital ageon February 26, 2021 at 3:15 pm
But in the third decade of Earth’s first digital millennium, you and I have a different reality. Today, there’s an increasing disconnect between expecting trust and getting it. And there’s the rub. As ...
The Latest Google Headlines on:
Key to Aging
The Latest Bing News on:
Fountain of aging
- Enjoy senior discounts on recreational activitieson February 25, 2021 at 11:30 pm
Despite the efforts of Juan Ponce de Leon, there is no magical Fountain of Youth. Getting older is inevitable and it is important to see the silver lining of aging.
- This $13 Face Cream Is So Good, Shoppers Say They’re ‘Aging Backwards’on February 23, 2021 at 2:11 pm
It's not every day you find a drugstore skincare product that can hold its own against the priciest, most luxurious models on the market. So it's no wonder Amazon shoppers are obsessing over an ...
- Dermatologists Recommend This $20 Anti-Wrinkle Cream Set for ‘Stopping Aging in Its Tracks’on February 23, 2021 at 12:38 pm
While you can shell out the big bucks for a prescription retinol product, Amazon shoppers suggest Neutrogena's Retinol Cream bundle for similar results at a fraction of the price. The skincare duo ...
- Fit at Any Age: Is Exercise the Real Fountain of Youth? Our Experts Think Soon February 15, 2021 at 3:59 pm
But what you may not know is that it doesnt have to. The main reason your body starts to pack on the pounds isnt because youre aging and your metabolism is slowing—its because youre exercising ...
- The Fountain of Youth – Allbetor Organic Lotionon February 15, 2021 at 11:39 am
A few years ago, Larson set out to create her own product, designed to hydrate skin and fight aging. “We started with a chemist,” she said. “Told him our goals: It had to be organic.
- Opt Health—a Men’s Health Platform—Is the Secret to Getting Your Edge Backon February 12, 2021 at 2:08 am
The platform aims to give men their “edge” back—or as close as one can get to that without a mythical fountain ... occur as a normal side-effect of aging. Although it’s a standard ...
- New Jersey Health And Wellness Clinic The Youth Fountain Is Offering Holistic Weight Loss Treatmentson February 3, 2021 at 9:00 am
Dr. Emil Shakov is a board-certified surgeon at The Youth Fountain with extensive experience and training in advanced surgical techniques, advanced aesthetics, anti-aging, weight-loss, and hair ...
- Seniors find fountain of youthon January 31, 2021 at 4:00 pm
Not so long ago, grown children on Kaua’i took care of their aging parents. But that is no longer the case because the grown children either live elsewhere or work multiple jobs, said Matsuko ...
- The new 'it' item among wealthy people is a $20,000 at-home oxygen chamber that promises to fight aging and boost libidoon January 30, 2021 at 7:59 am
DOW S&P 500 NASDAQ 100 There may be no fountain of youth, but there could be a chamber. Just ask Atlanta, Georgia-based Louis Hilliard. "I'm 49 years old, but look at me, and you'd think I was in ...
- Are Scientists Closer to Discovering a Fountain of Youth?on January 28, 2021 at 4:00 pm
International study kicked off by a prematurely aging boy provides insight into the mechanisms behind growing older by Nikhil Swaminathan The case of a 15-year-old Afghan boy with a rare genetic ...